"Fishermans Warf" Holiday Inn Express.

I like to fish so that will be nice

Wife went to Hotwire and Expedia and booked it

in a second. There is a weird flight but only one

lay over. Sorta feaky but I guess thats where the savings

comes from.

I have a bother who lives in North Beach the last

15 years. Wife has been on to me to go see him and get a

tour of our life. Any pointers will be appreciated.

Bill Catherall

Screenwriter
I don't think you can actually fish from Fisherman's Warf...at least I've never seen anybody doing it. ;) And it would probably be pretty difficult with all those fishing boats going in and out. :D
Pointers:
Go see Golden Gate Park.
I've biked across the GG Bridge before and it was really fun. You can also walk across it. It's much more fun than driving.
Ride a cable car from Fisherman's Warf to China Town and/or Market Street and take in some nice sights, shopping, and people watching. People watching is especially fun in San Francisco. ;)
Try some food you've never had before. Also take advantage of the sea food in the area.
Pack some warm clothing, or at least a windbreaker or sweatshirt. Sure it will be summer, but it's always windy and can get cold. Bring an umbrella just in case (you don't have to carry it everywhere, but you should have one in your hotel room).
If you plan on staying within San Francisco for all your sight seeing then don't rent a car. There's excellent public transportation and you'll only get frustrated trying to park a car. Paying for parking will also be much more expensive than taking a taxi, bus, trolley, cable car, etc.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
The Haight, man, the Haight.

San Francisco is my favorite place in the US of A. Love that town. Love it, love it.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Yes, you MUST bring both warm and cold clothes. It can be warm during the day, but the fog will roll in in the evening and it WILL get very cool at night.
Right in that area (literally within miles), you will want to check out the Palace of Fine Arts and the Exploratorium, right by the south end of the GG bridge. Pier 39, just up the street from The Warf, and Ghirardelli Square. They are all tourist traps, but gotta say you've been there. There's always Alcatraz too, have your brother get tickets in advance because they sell out this time of year. I agree Golden Gate Park is also a wonderful place to visit, and it's large enough, with enough things to do that it could take 2 days just to do that - DeYoung Museum (remodeling, not sure if it is open now) , Steinhart Aquarium, Japanese Tea Garden, Conservatory of Flowers, the buffalo, etc... And definitely head out to Ocean Beach or Anderson Rd. (great view of the bridge looking toward the city!), just across the GG bridge for a sunset.
The advice about not driving is also good, as it is a tough place to get around, but since you have a brother there, that should be less of an issue.
Can you tell I like SF too? :D
Plenty of info here Do a search for "BAB San Francisco" - That will search for Bay Area Backroads, a cool local show, that has all the insider tips.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Here's how much I love San Francisco: I can walk around and hang in the friggin' Tenderloin District and still have a great time!

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Tenderloin District
:eek: That is love. There are some areas that I don't like hanging around at night. It's not hard to have fun in SF though. :D
For the cable car ride too, plan on waiting in line, but it's worth it. Very fun at night.
Maybe a Giant's game at PacBell?

Bhagi Katbamna

Supporting Actor
The only time I went to SF, I got really, really sick. You know, stop the car, open the rear door and puke in the gutter sick.

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
Kind of depends on what your interested in Mr. McGough.

I'm going down in two weeks myself and plan on catching the Giants play the DIamondbacks (by my calculations I should see Curt Shilling pitch). I'm also going over to Oakland to watch the M's play the A's. My friends live in the Mission so I'll be scarfing down the best tacos I've ever had (La Taqueria on Mission).

In the past I've enjoyed checking out the Museum of Modern Art, the Palace of Fine Arts, Ghirradeli Square, North Beach (especially City Lights Bookstore) and the ferry ride to Sausalito which is an amazing view of the city and Alcatraz. Fisherman's Wharf gets old really fast unless you a a TOTAL TOURIST and enjoy that kind of thing. If you want to fish, there's usually people down by the ferry terminal, but I've never seen anyone catch anything.

And no trip to SF, for me, would be complete without going up to the Haight, or BARTing up to Berkeley to spend my cash at Aomeba and Rasputin Records (lots of used CDs, DVDs and LDs!!)

The only thing I haven't done yet is go to The Fillmore, though I've been by it. There just never seems to be a band I like playing when I'm there. I'm bummed that I found out, after I bought my ticket, that the White Stripes are playing the day I'm leaving. (I also get in two days after the latest Battlebots tournament).

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
The only time I went to SF, I got really, really sick. You know, stop the car, open the rear door and puke in the gutter sick.
Hey, what a coincidence, me too! :frowning:
Must be the clams or something at those streetside seafood bars where you can just order a batch of steamed clams... Every 30 minutes.. PUUUUKE... eww...
Wait, maybe that was Seattle... i forget, but yeah, i was freakin sick...

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
I've always enjoyed visiting SF (hmm, double meaning there). I remember looking out the window of my plane as I left from there the first time, and seeing the Golden Gate Bridge all lit up. Gorgeous sight...

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
I agree Golden Gate Park is also a wonderful place to visit, and it's large enough, with enough things to do that it could take 2 days just to do that - DeYoung Museum (remodeling, not sure if it is open now)....
Well since they just tore down the DeYoung I really doubt it's open. :)
Like so many have already said make certain to bring a jacket because the fog rolls in during the summer months and it gets very cold at night.
I would skip the umbrella for it rarely rains in SF in July.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
and of course, if you're into chinese food, they have one of the best 'chinatown's' around...
hint: if the place seems really "fancy", skip it. go to some small dive where EVERYONE you see eating is asian. :)
i also second the sfmoma. very cool.
ghiradelli square i can take or leave...
fisherman's wharf (i've never seen anyone fish there) is okay...like someone said, gotta say you did it.
long wait for the cable-car ride, but totally fun...especially at night. you can usually see the golden gate bridge all lit up.
driving is a total nightmare...plus 20 bucks to park! luckily your brother probably has that nailed.
in any case, it's definitely a fun place...i'm sure no matter where you go you're gonna be diggin' it. have a great time!

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Like so many have already said make certain to bring a jacket because the fog rolls in during the summer months and it gets very cold at night
That brings to mind the famous Mark Twain quote that the coldest winter he ever spent was the summer he spent in San Francisco. :)

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
San Francisco is the greatest example of "a great place to visit but I wouldn't want to live there". Too cold and foggy most times. The Peninsula and Santa Clara valley filled up with frozen SF expatrates decades ago. Both Ralston and Stanford set up their estates over 100 years ago. But since it's so close it's a great place for visiting.

Mike Voigt

Supporting Actor
RobertR - :laugh:
It's true, it can get quite chilly in SF at night. PITA, too - if you're out for the whole day, you get to carry your jacket, only to use it in the evening. Oh well. :D
Chinatown is excellent, if you like chinese food. Wonderful, best I've ever eaten anywhere.
Fisherman's Wharf (can't recall anyone fishing there either) is so-so, kinda fun, but definitely a tourist trap. So's Ghirardelli square, but it makes up by having fantastic chocolate :D
There used to be a submarine tied up at the Wharf that you could go through. One of the ones used in the Pacific theater in WW II. Neat to visit, once. Gave me claustrophobia, can't imagine being underwater with one of those. Brrr.
If you have time, go north and see the eucalyptus trees. I saw some in Germany (yup, southern Germany - LAST place I expected to see those!) and they are a sight. Beautiful, too; meant to go see them in SF-land, but never got around to it.
If you drive, going down Lombard or Vermont streets can be fun... if you're into that sort of thing. More fun when you're drive, that's for sure! Or perhaps Filbert or Hill... :D
For more info, try this link:
SF Info
Be aware that they try putting a ton of cookies on your computer. You can skip those, and the info is still there...
Above all - take your time. SF is well worth seeing, I enjoy the town every time I go there, though I am not sure about paying the real estate prices!
Mike

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Before you go, watch the movie The Rock, then plan to take the Alcatraz tour.
The San Francisco Zoo is often quite good. Try to find out when they feed the tigers and arrive an hour before so you can be there for feeding time. You should also have your brother check on the zoo shows. The "Sex Tour" is said to be quite good. (Yes, I'm serious. Why do you ask?)
There is a Sony Metreon mall/theater that I have not been to, but they have the "Sony Store" - everything Sony. I thought the IMAX theater has a digital projector so you might be able to see Attack of the Clones in digital if you want. I think they also have a animation theater that shows Japanese Anime movies all the time.
A cable-car ride from near Fishermans warf to Powell street is touristy, but a requirement. Around Union square are lots of shops and FAO Schwartz is a must-see (high-end toy store). Walk up Geary street and you will find several theaters so check out the shows & buy tickets.
From Powell street station a walk up Market street is fun. The Virgin MegaStore is a very nice place for music & movies. Even though it is several blocks long, I highly recommend the entire walk to the Embarcadaro. You will hit the Financial district which has coffee & pastry shops galore. Stop in at the Hayett and admire the main lobby. Check and see if they still do their spectacular sunday brunch. This might be a nice thing to take your brother to if they still do it.
Good Luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks