What's new

Samsung HDTV: pulldown or non pulldown--that is the question (1 Viewer)

Kevin L K

Second Unit
Hi everyone. I'm sure this has been beaten to death,and I've read quite a few searches, but I REALLY need some help because this stuff is so damn confusing to me.Here's the deal:
Next month I will be purchasing a Samsung 32" DynaFlat HDTV--it will either be the TXM-3296HF or the TXM-3297HFX model.
The 3296 DOES NOT have 3:2 pulldown & the 3297 DOES HAVE 3:2 pulldown. The model with the pulldown is exactly $100 more. Now, I'm not that concerned with 3:2 pulldown for DVD's because I can always get a progressive DVD player with the 3:2 pulldown, but, to be perfectly frank I mostly watch regular TV and have DishNetwork satellite TV--how will the picture look with a non 3:2 HDTV? Will it look like crap? And what about when I get a HDTV decoder box? The picture on my Sony Wega 27" looks fantastic with the satellite broadcasts so will the picture still look good on a HDTV without pulldown? Samsung claims on the non pull down model: " Pro Chip Plus progressive-scan line-doubling system upconverts 480i (NTSC) sources to 480p display, dramatically improving picture quality from analog interlaced signals "--but my satellite is digital--not the analog cable crapola reception we have around here--so will this feature make pull down unnecessary?
Samsung also states: " Faithfully reproduces sources up to 1080i (or 480p) for a true high-resolution image (with an optional set-top box) " What happened to 720p or whatever the number is?
Sony HDTV's state: " DRC (Digital Reality Creation) circuit upgrades standard 480i signals to 480p or 960i, providing a near-high-definition-quality picture from standard video sources; CineMotion 3-2 pulldown restores smoothness to film-derived video sources " What's that--does that mean Sony's can upconvert a "conventional" broadcast to 960i whereas even though the 960 is interlaced as opposed to progressive it is still a higher resolution than 480p?
I know this has been long but if someone could help me out I would REALLY REALLY be quite greatful. Thanks for reading this everyone :)

Darrin_R

Stunt Coordinator
3:2 pull down should only be used when the source is 24 frames per second such as a DVD. Regular broadcast material is 30fps so I believe 3:2 pulldown should be disabled when watching regular SAT. Im not sure about an HD broadcast.

Yes, your sat is digital. However, the signal sent to the television is analog so the upscale conversion could be used.

MikeyWeitz

Supporting Actor
I have the TSL3294hf that does NOT have 3:2, I have a progressive player that does and also have Dishnetwork.
Save the $100 andget a prog DVD that has 3:2.

Dish will look OK depending on the channel. Their signal is VERY compressed and a bit pixelated at times. It may not look as good on an HDTV capable set, only because they TV is so good it shows how crappy a crappy signal really is. You will be BLOWN AWAY by progressive DVD, especially Anamorphic that you will squeeze with the push of a single button on the remote.
ENJOY the set, I love mine!

Kevin L K

Second Unit
Thanks a lot Darrin & Mikey for clearing some of this up for me--I appreciate it :) I think I'll try the 3296 and see how it turns out. Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.