What's new

Samsung DLP, good buy? (1 Viewer)

JohnGri

Auditioning
Hey guys, first time poster, longtime reader. I will be getting my end of the year bonus soon and I am looking into getting one of these sets. Does anyone have a Samsung DLP or know much about the DLP technology? I'm basically wondering if this is a good set that won't become obsolete in 10 years. I think the picture is great, but you know how display models are! Thanks in advance guys.

HarryS

Grip
The only thing I know about them is what the Sears sales rep told me. He recommended that I stay away from them, and showed me the display that had been up for a month +. It had a significant number of pixels that were burnt out, showing up as black dots on the screen. Very visible with a light screen.

greg_t

Screenwriter
Pixel burnout occurs in LCD displays, not DLP's if I'm correct. I have a friend who has a 50" Samsung DLP and he is very happy with it. It has a great image, but they don't do blacks as well as a CRT and there is some talk of "rainbows" with DLP's, but all sets will have issues, and none are perfect. I myself feel that a CRT based set has a smoother, more film like image, but that's just me. Now there is no way of knowing if it will be obsolete in 10 years. It probably will be behind technology by then, but what won't be?

Joseph Shaw

Stunt Coordinator
I went to The Home Theater Store in Houston on Friday and they too advised me against DLP sets, and Samsung DLP's in particular. The salesman said that they have 5 display models and at any given time they have 2-3 out for repair. To prove his point he showed me the two sets they have setup in the DLP room and where the other three Samsung sets would have been mounted had they been there. He said their biggest issues with the Samsung sets have been: the power button breaking off or in the set and the bulbs going within 14-30 days after purchase. He also mentioned problems with pixels and edge artifacts. The Samsungs were calibrated and setup properly, as are all sets in the store. Doing an A/B comparison between the DLP sets and the CRT sets, the CRT sets were much better looking. The DLP sets on display (Two LG, one Mitsubishi, and 2 of the 5 Samsung sets) all had aliasing on curved surfaces. Also, only the Mitsubishi didn't look washed out and overly bright, but supposedly the Mitsubishi set has been discontinued this year and used the older TI DLP chipset.

After looking on Friday, I decided to wait and see what LCOS might do in the next year. With Intel set to announce their LCOS chipset and their foray into the video market in January, it can only have a good effect on the market. Analysts are expecting big screen HD capable sets to drop in price by as much as a third.

ColinR

Auditioning
I have the 437w and love it. I have had no problems with the set. I wish we could view more HD channels so I could use it to its fullest. Works very well with a Progressive scan DVD

Shane Morales

Second Unit
I haven't had any problems with my Samsung DLP.

Only a few nitpicks:

1. It takes 20-30 seconds to power on.
2. With tv shows on DVD sometimes the picture looks 'sandy'.

Pros:

1. Great for XBOX.
2. kick ass deinterlacer
3. a place on top for a substantial center speaker
4. good aesthetics

I am very happy with the Samsung, but if I'd had the money I would have preferred a Pioneer Elite (but I'd be too chicken to play XBOX on it).

Scott Wong

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott Wong
I bought a HLN-567W about three weeks ago. I love it! It is a phenomenal set. I currently have Time Warner Digital Cable service. Within that service, I receive numerous channels in full high definition. DiscoveryHD, HDNet, INHD, HBO, Showtime, etc, etc. Any content in high definition on this set is nothing short of being absolutely phenomenal!! DLP sets do not experience any sort of burn-in whatsoever... please advise the Sears sales representative to lay off the crack pipe. :D I am currently waiting to get a DVD player with a DVI output. I also plan on getting the set professionally calibrated.

Scott.

Justin_T

Stunt Coordinator
HLN tend to be the later models made. Some other features may have been added...later firmware, issues fixed from HLM series. At least, that is what I have gathered from my HLN

ColinR

Auditioning
I know one of the differences is the Chip technology. HLM is first genertation and the HLN is 2nd generation. What exactly that means, I really don't know.

John_Griff

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks guys, I noticed that they sell both the HLM and HLNs in stores and its good to know that HLN is the later models. Thanks! By the way, I play a ton of XBOX, good to hear that it looks beautiful on these TVs.

John Geelan

Screenwriter
one reason to hold off on a Samsung HLN if you haven't bought one yet is that within the next year 2004, these sets may get the updated HD2+ chip plus a better colorwheel.

unless you can get a great deal on the present models for under the $3K mark. The Sammy's are still priced kinda high though.

I just bought and installed on a ceiling mount (home made and proud of it!) a LG RD-JT30 DLP Projector. It is great!
1400 lumins with great contrast. Yes the blacks could be blacker but with a screen size up to 220" you have to have some compromises.

Easy to mount as it is only 3lbs and 2" high.

I think DLP is a great technology better than LCD.

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks