SACD vs DVDA?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DavidBelis, Feb 25, 2003.

1. DavidBelis

DavidBelis Agent

Can someone please briefly enlighten me as to what Super Audio Compact Discs (SACD) and DVD Audio (DVDA) are, and how they differ?

1.First thing I don't understand, is how does SACD work? Don't all cds hold up to 650 or 700 megs. So, how do they manage to improve the quality over standard cds using the same amount of data? Is it a completely different medium? If not, then why can't regular cd players play them?

2.How does SACD differ from DVDA quality-wise, price-wise,and availability-wise (ie. how common or uncommon or albums in these formats).
    Also, would regular DVD players (ie. my Panasonic RP62) play DVDA, or would I need to get a completely new player?

Can someone please fill me in on these music formats that I know pretty much nothing about?

Thanks you.

2. Jeramy_K

Jeramy_K Stunt Coordinator

Both formats are enhanced audio discs. Both offer multi channel playback potential. However not all discs are available in multi channel.

SACD was founded by Sony. Here is their link : SACD

DVD-A does require a DVD-A compatible player to play the disc in it's intended format. It too outputs through 6ch analog for multi channel just like SACD.

I'm sure other members can add additional info. If you're considering one or the other I'd suggest holding off as the SACD/DVD-A combo players continue to roll out and drop in price.

3. Justin Lane

Justin Lane Cinematographer

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Honestly David, if you do a search you will come up with more information then you could ever desire. These threads usually break down into format war deals, and are getting old at this point.

J

4. Jagan Seshadri

Jagan Seshadri Supporting Actor

Read this.

-JNS

5. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

6. Jagan Seshadri

Jagan Seshadri Supporting Actor

7. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

David, I agree with Justin. Do a search for information on the two formats. These discussions usually degrade into "my format can beat up your format." At the end of the day, both formats significantly better the sound quality offered by the CD, and both formats have their share of quality titles and quality players. Both formats are worth having.

8. Alex Prosak

Alex Prosak Supporting Actor

If you don't want to spend the $ for a universal player now or wait for cheaper ones, look at the titles each format has available and pick the one that has more titles that suit your tastes.

9. Darryl

Darryl Stunt Coordinator

I would like to congratulate everyone on keeping this thread as free of contention as this topic could possibly be. Let's keep it that way!
    [​IMG]

10. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

DVD-A Rules and SACD sucks! Anyone who would waste their money and time on SACD is a friggin' moron.

..... I have both ....

11. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    I would comment, but being a genuine moron (yes I have both formats) it is beyond my capacity.[​IMG]

12. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    I enjoy both formats but I prefer Super Audio. [​IMG]

13. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Ooops. I meant....

SACD Rules and DVD-A sucks! Anyone who would waste their money and time on DVD-A is a friggin' moron.

...... I still have both .....

14. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

15. Mark All

Mark All Second Unit

Here we go--headed for 12 pages and 3,000 hits this time around?

They both rule. One more than the other though. [​IMG]

16. Thomas Newton

Thomas Newton Screenwriter

17. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

Try reading though this site

http://www.hometheatermag.com/hirezaudio.shtml

It does a great job listing what's available in both formats etc.

PS you RP62 can't play DVD-A's at their full resolution but all DVD-A's also contain some sort of Dolby Digital track as well that you can play. It isn't going to sound as good obviously but it might be better the regular CD in some cases

18. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Thomas said:

19. Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman Cinematographer

A problem with many DVD-Audio discs: the introduction of audible water marking into the recording, thus diminishing the overall audio fidelity.

SACD, though it does have copy protection on the discs and players, does not alter the audio stream itself.

There has yet to be a recording made and given out for public consumption (that I am aware of) that was taken from the same microphone feeds that were split into two separate recording machines (one DSD based and one PCM based) in order to do an actual head-to-head comparison of the audio quality of each format in both stereo mode and multichannel mode.

That MUST be done soon and to be fair, the stereo recording should compare 24 bit/192 kHz PCM against DSD, and then in multichannel mode compare 24 bit/96 kHz PCM against DSD since that is what consumers get (in the case of stereo 24 bit/192 kHz PCM, not always, which is a shame).

Also, recording industries using SACD as their delivery medium should mix and edit and master their products using DSD at all times. Except for some audiophile labels dedicated to absolute quality, usually the recording engineers use some software like ProTools which is PCM based. That audio format conversion will defeat the purpose of using DSD in the first place.

Dan

20. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer