What's new

SACD player, Opinion? (1 Viewer)

TanD

Stunt Coordinator
I want to get a SACD player, between the Sony 775 or Sony SCD-C555ES. The SACD player only use for SACD and/or use digital out for CD to my Denon 5800, I have a very nice CD player anyway. Should I save the $600 and get the cheaper one? (for a DVD-Audio unit later) Does any one have any experience between those 2 players? If the 775 can give me 80-90% of the 555es performance on SACD I would be satisfied.

BTW I have never have any experience of SACD at home, only a little demonstration at Bestbuy with those sony setup.

I almost get a pioneer DV47A universal yesterday, but because i doesn't offer bass management on DVD-Audio, and i am not sure about SACD so i hold off. Now I decide to get two separate unit the sony SACD now and may be the Denon 3800 later (which offer digital bass management.

Any one have any suggestion?

Eujin

Supporting Actor
Since you were considering getting the Pioneer, I'd suggest that you get both the 775 and 555ES and try them out in your system at home. You can return the one that you don't want to keep.

I own a 775 and just spent some time listening to a 555ES yesterday. Basically, I think that the 775 will give you very good SACD playback--much better than expected. It'll also sound better in a better system, so if you have the amplification and speakers that are up to it, I doubt you'll be at all disappointed by the 775's SACD playback. The only major drawback is that the 775 is just not that good a CD player, but if you already have a very good CD player and just want to try SACD, the 775 is an excellent buy. As for the 555ES, other people who actually own this player can give you more info, but to me it's a better player all around--with SACDs, it's not a night and day difference, but you can definitely tell a difference. With regular CD playback, the 555ES is much better. The bottom line is, if you just want to give SACD a try, take the 775 home--it's a steal for the price.

Dzung Pham

Second Unit
Have you considered the Sony SCD-C222ES? It sounds like the perfect compromise for you. Cheaper than the 555 and closer in quality.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
How does the 222ES compare to the 555ES when playing red book CDs? I'm thinking of upgrading my old reliable Sony 5-disc carousel (can't remember the model, but it's about 8 years old) at some point? My current player is connected via a toslink optical cable to the receiver, so I'm using the receiver's DACs.

David Judah

Screenwriter
I had the luxury of comparing the 222 and the 555 using an Adcom pre-amp & amp and Martin Logan speakers.

Now on paper the 555 is a better player, but in my comparisons, I was unable to hear a distinguishable difference with Redbook and SACD.

For other opinions, check Audio Asylum--there are some who agree with me and others who don't, but most who have actually listened to the two(not just compared specs)feel their playback quality is very close.

DJ

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Scott,

I preferred the sound of the 'C555ES to the 'C222ES, and I bought the 'C555ES as a result. However, the 'C222ES is an excellent player for the money ($525 from Oade Bros.). In my opinion, the 'C555ES is better with both CDs and SACDs, and it is built better inside and out. However, you can't go wrong with either player at their respective price points.

Tan,

Both Eujin and Dzung make valid points. You ought to consider listening to the 'CE775 and 'C555ES in your system to see if it is capable of bringing out the differences between the two players. If you don't hear an appreciable difference between them, save a lot of money and go with the 'CE775.

As I said to Scott above, I own the 'C555ES and am very happy with it. It is a great player with both CDs and SACDs. That said, I just ordered a 'CE775 today from J&R Music World (1-800-221-8180) for $200 for my second system. I already have a 'C333ES stereo SACD changer in there (no longer in production), but it can be a bit buggy with multi-channel SACDs (I'll explain in a subsequent post if you are interested). So I thought the 'CE775 would be a cheap way to handle some of the potentially problematic discs. I have listened to the 'CE775 at Tweeter, but not side-by-side with the 'C555ES. The 'CE775 is a nice player, but many on Audio Asylum have said that it is a much better with SACDs than CDs. I don't plan on using it as a CD player, though I will compare it to the 'C333ES out of curiosity. I am just hopeful that there isn't too big a drop-off in going from the 'C333ES to the 'CE775 with SACDs. I'll have the 'CE775 on Wednesday and will report on my findings.

TanD

Stunt Coordinator
Keith, I am looking forward for your review of the 775 and compare to a your 333es as a SACD player.

I can get the 775 locally, but for the 555es it hard for me to try it as home as my local dealer have to get it to special order and have to pay close to list (I get a quote from oade brothers for $775)

like i said i don't plan to use it as a cd player, so i skips the middle one the 222es, i think the real different between the 222es and the 775 is build quality with ES name and little better as a cd player. So that's why i choose it between the 775 and 555es. If the SACD performace is close i would choose a cheaper one to save for a Good DVD-A player may be the Denon 3800 or even the 9000 when it come out.

I think i have a very capable equipment for showing high resolution multichannel format, Denon 5800 Pre/Pro with 7 Channel of Pararound external Amp200+ Watt/Per channel, B&W 804 front, HTM1 center and four 805 surround.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Julian, the standard street price of the 'CE775 dropped from $350 to $250 recently (see www.crutchfield.com). OneCall and J&R Music World show the player for $250 on their web sites, but they often will quote lower prices on the phone. Actually, J&R will give you a quote of $200 by e-mail. Anyway, when buying Sony equipment, it is beneficial to call OneCall, J&R, and Oade Bros. first in search of the lowest price.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Keith,

Thanks for the feedback on the 222ES. The 555ES is more money than I wanted to spend, so it's nice to know the less expensive ES player is a decent option. My current Sony is an older non-ES model, so I was contemplating a slight step up in sound quality, as well as adding SACD capability.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Scott,
The 'C222ES will be a big step up from a non-ES Sony player with CDs. Then there is SACD. That's where the fun begins. :)
All,
I just noticed that Crutchfield now has the 'CE775 on its web site for $200. The web site still says, "Save $100! Was $349.95, Now: $249.95", but if you look in the "Our Price" column, you will see that they are selling it for $200. Here is the link:
http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S...=4&g=53100&s=0
The price really dropped through the floor quickly on this player. Even Crutchfield is selling it for $200.

Eujin

Supporting Actor
Not sure if the sale's still on, but vanns.com had the 775 yesterday for $179.99! This is amazingly cheap--I ordered one and will be returning the one I got from Best Buy that cost $100 more just 3 weeks ago.

tony randall

Stunt Coordinator
as far as a steal on the price on the 775 -- I almost ordered it from crutchfield after someone posted it dropped to $249. When I went to order it on the 10th, I thought I better look at jandr.com since I see references to them as often as crutchfield.

They had to do an e-mail quote - it was $200!!!

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Tony, Crutchfield is now selling the 'CE775 for $200 as well. I just noticed the price drop yesterday. I ordered the 'CE775 from J&R yesterday morning for $200 and noticed Crutchfield's price drop afterwards. J&R is very reputable, so it doesn't matter to me. J&R said I would get my player tomorrow, but it came today. I just set it up, and it is quite nice for the money. Build quality is about what I have come to expect from non-ES Sony components, and is what I would expect for $200. However, SACDs sound quite good. I have not tried it with CDs, but I am not expecting much.

brian a

Second Unit
I'm trying hard not to buy any equipment while waiting for the 950. I hate to buy something I can't use when it gets here. That being said, if this thing drops again, I'll enter the world of SACD. It'll look great sitting in the theater all boxed up for the next couple of months. ;)

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Brian, I'm not sure how much lower the 'CE775 can go. $200 is pretty cheap for what it can do.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
OK, Sony is smart enough to lower the price of players to a price-point where people will really start buying them. Now, when are they going to replace garden variety CD's with hybrid SACD/CD discs. They can sneak this format in the back door like that, me thinks. They're not going to influence the masses to adopt SACD with their present strategy, high prices and single layer. Covert would work, maybe? Overt, makes SONnY a dull boy, maybe daft too? ;)

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Rachael, I too would love to see hybrid discs from Sony, but at least Sony SACDs are available at reasonable prices at Best Buy and some e-tailers. I don't mind paying $16.99-18.99 for an SACD. Sometimes, I even find SACDs for less. However, if I really want an SACD, I will pay Tower Records' prices. As an example, I paid $21.99 for The Isley Brothers SACD because I "had to have it". I guess I'm a sucker. Hopefully more software in the form of hybrid discs will come from Sony before too long, and at lower prices. I am not holding my breath, however. I keep hearing reports stating that CD prices will drop due to flat sales. Haven't seen it yet.

rodneyH

Supporting Actor
Tan, by the sound of your equiptment, I would definatley get the 222 at the lowest, it is much closer to the 555 as is the 775 is to the 222 (as someone has already mention close to or as good as the 555). I would not sell your great equiptment short. I got a 222 for $525 and a dvd-a A10 for $399, so for less than $1000, I got $2000 MSRP of equiptment.

Keith, you are a nut, how may SACD, CD or DVD-a players do you have now. I can't believe you bought another one, I would say you have some sort of "front end" fetish-tic

good luck, but I would probably get the 555 if I were you, but give the 222 a listen.

MichaelGomez

Stunt Coordinator
I can't say anything about the 2 unit except that the ES has a better warranty. Which is a good thing since something on my 3 year ols sony es receiver burnt the other day. No idea what it is but since it is still under warranty I am in luck.

I was going to buy a normal sony sacd player but now I am going to hold out for the ES.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anonymous01
Recent bookmarks