What's new

SACD player, Opinion? (1 Viewer)

Joe Cole

Second Unit
Rachael, Let us know how Chuck Mangione's sounds. The Jacintha song I was listening to was Moon River. But I think you are right that the 950 beta tester was talking about the Danny Boy cut. Is that on Lush Life? It is in the mail.

No classical listeners here? If you want to try it get the beethovan disk. You will be impressed.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
John, Greg Lake who went on to Emerson, Lake & Palmer fame is the singer on the first two two King Crimsom. IN THE COURT OF was their first album. It was frickin' radical for 1968! There were no moogs then. They used the melletron, a keyboard instrument that uses tape loops of violins for each key. The Moody Blues used the melletron in their early days too. Anyway, it's my understanding that Robert Fripp, guitarist and leader of KC, perfected the melletron, although he did not invent it.

John Kaye of Steppenwolf once said of KC, "...they sound like a bleedin' orchestra..." They do at times! 21st CENTURY SCHIZOID MAN really floats my boat. It's aprimer for how to play rock-jazz fusion. IN THE COURT OF THE CRIMSON KING, the song, err piece, really does move like a symphonic thang. I TALK TO THE WIND is gorgeous. MOONCHILD is lovely although it has a long instrumental on the end that gets old.

It being such an old album, the SACD proably won't sound as good as I hope, but I'm getting it the day it comes out. I hope yo get a kick out of it on radio. It's a very hard album to describe....it's very different! Best wishes!

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Joe, DANNY BOY is on my gold CD of Here's To Ben. I'll tell ya'all how Chuck M. sounds. He's great when he has good material IMO. I like classical. I'm partial to Mozart and Ravel the most. I'm not buying any classical presently as I inherited beaucoups of classical CD's when my father passed away and I haven't finished listening to them yet, except for the Ravel ones... Best wishes!

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Rachael, I think you are really going to like the Isley Brothers SACD. For a hoot, pick up the CD at Best Buy or Circuit City for $10. You will be amazed at how much better the SACD sounds.

Have Madonna and Vanessa Williams been in print on SACD and gone out?
No Madonna or Vanessa Williams albums have been released on SACD.

Emil Stoica

Second Unit
Rachel,

Those SACD's on Amazon were never released. It is a mistake by Amazon. They list Carpenters and PM Dawn SACD's that have never been released.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Thanks Emil!:) I'm quessing that maybe these discs were scheduled for 2-channel release maybe, but were called back for the 5.1 treatment, maybe...? I have a feeling that the lull in SACD releases is due to Sony regearing for nearly everything to be multi-channel. Maybe these titles will show up?
Keith, I won't be buying the Isley CD. I have a pristene copy of the record. I have beacoups of vinnyl. I have about half of the Isley's output on records. Several of them have not made it to CD and may never? My fav's by the Isleys are THE HEAT IS ON and BETWEEN THE SHEETS. Best wishes guyz!

Emil Stoica

Second Unit
No problem Rachael. When I first started collecting SACD's, I was really excited at first when I saw those. I would like to see some of them but I would not hold my breathe (especially the Madonna since she is a Warner artist). Oh, and I think that 3+3 is an excellent SACD (especially in multi-channel). Enjoy.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks