What's new

S-video A/V receiver. Should I?? (1 Viewer)

mike_frontier

Supporting Actor
Hi all,
I had a really quick question on A/V receivers that support S-video.
I am soon getting ready to upgrade to an bigger TV which will either be an Toshiba or Panasonic 40”(plus) HDTV and I ran across an sales rep at my local Circuit City and he told me if I plan on running that size of an HDTV he told me that I should get an A/V receiver that will support S-video due to better pic quality.
All the equipment I have does have or does support S-video hookup like my DirectTV IRD, Progressive scan DvD player and Super VHS (vcr) and of course my HDTV will have S-video too :) .
But what it is id I should get an S-video ready A/V amp or not. What you guys can say on this? Yah or Nah?
Help please?
Thanks all,
Mike

mike_frontier

Supporting Actor
lol.. for some odd reason I think you guys are going to tell me to go with the ONKYO anyways. :D
So should I just packup the Ol Yamaha receiver then...?? :frowning:

Nick Cerretti

Stunt Coordinator
First off, s-video is far superior to composite, and you should use it over composite no matter what.

From the specs, it doesn't look like the yammie has S-video. So if you plan on switching, get the onkyo, or something equivilant. It appears the onkyo would have enough. Although for 300 list, no component switching is sort of mind-boggling.

One note, you're going to need to use your dvd player through component cable to take advantage of its progressive scan capabilties.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Thread reopened. I had a faulty Internet connection happening there across the boards. Thought this page took several years to load because of the image. Not so.

Sorry for the unneeded closure. Proceed.

Jesse Blacklow

Senior HTF Member
Well, if you have a progressive scan DVD and HDTV, S-video isn't really what you want. You need component cables, otherwise your progressive scan and HDTV signals aren't being used properly, if at all. If you're spending the money on a 40"+ HDTV, then invest in a receiver that has HD-bandwidth component switching. The only ones I can think of off the top of my head are H/Ks and Denons, and higher-end Pioneers. Others on this forum can point you at specific models, I just know about the H/Ks (320, 325, 520, 525, 8000).

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Take a look at the Receiver Comparison Chart to find out many SVideo & Component video offerings there are.
You MUST use component cables to carry any progressive or HD signal to the TV. If you only have 2 HD sources and your TV has 2 inputs, then you can go direct to the TV from these, and run SVideo from everything through the receiver.
Otherwise, you can go with a external Video Switcher as described in this thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks