What's new

S&V H/K 8000 review is in Oct issue (1 Viewer)

Matt Weldy

Second Unit
nobody has really answered my question yet about getting this reciever or the denon 4802 somebody please make a case for one or the other.

btw right no I am leaning denon's way

Matt Weldy

Second Unit
also what mhz do you need to pass componet video. or are these imputs just for dvd, xbox basically anything 480

JohnDW

Agent
Just got my copy of theOct S and V mag - the amplifier on this receiver compares highly favorably with the pioneer 49tx and even denon 5803 for actual performance - quality of sound and ability to meet high peak current demands - measured nosie was bit lower, but reviwer coulndt hear any noise even with ehadphones (!)
iT does lack bass management for multichannel analog input (soultion - get a DVD/SACD palyer with bass management or (less attractive) get 5 full range speakers ($$)
It also lacks OSD on component viudeo output - help me here -does that eman I have to run an s-video as well as component to my projector to be able to set up HK and use OSD ?
Also teh ex auto setup was fairy accurate but needing tweaking (pioneer's version said to be spot on - throw away your rat shack spl meter - accurate)
lacks DTS 6.21 discrete and DD EX; so this could become dted when most movies out in 65 channel (1 year ? 2 years ? 3 years ? who nows ?)
But has logic 7 , memory for surround formats and setup fopr each input (!) and street price is $800 less than pioneer and 1400 less than denon...

RichardMA

Second Unit
H&K is apparently using the BEST RCA jacks of any receiver
I've seen. Even on the 5803 Denon all but a few of them
are the cheezy ones, not very solid, a thin metal shell
around plastic.

Paul Clarke

Supporting Actor
JohnDW,

Yes, run a companion S-Vid for the OSD.

Matt,

If 50MHz video switching, having 7 amp channels in one package and upgradability for future-proofing is important, then get the Denon. In a nutshell, for the same MSRP Denon is offering more bang for the buck and H/K is offering superior sound. Is the difference in sound enough to be audibly appreciated? Depends on your ears. Go listen.

Greg Hamilton

Stunt Coordinator
Matt,

I actually did a comparison between the Denon and H/K when I initially bought my 8000. The two systems were in different stores, hence different sound characteristics. Denon using Paradigm Studio speakers and the H/K using B&W NT speakers. The Denon was a nice package, but at the end of the day I decided on the H/K 8000. To me, it just sounded better - warmer and 2 channel audio was hypnotic. When I got it home I was not disappointed.

At the end of the day, you need to listen for yourself.-gh

Matt Weldy

Second Unit
the problem here is that nobody in my town has the 8000 to be heard. Circuit city and hh greg are the only hk dealers and none of them will carry it. And where can you find it for 800 bucks?

Paul Clarke

Supporting Actor
Who said you could find it for $800? :frowning:
If you are not a heavy Music listener or 2 channel fanantic then buy the 4802 with confidence. The differences here are very subtle to most people.

John A. Casler

Second Unit
nobody has really answered my question yet about getting this reciever or the denon 4802 somebody please make a case for one or the other.
Matt after this LUV FEST about the AVR8000 you don't think your question has been answered?
All you ask was "which one should I get?"
Not one poster gave you a reason to go Denon.
Unless there is a specific function of the Denon (7 channels or a processing mode) I don't think it is a contest. You could buy a very nice 2 channel amp with the AVR-8000 (which puts you on the road to seperates) and have the best of HT and Audiophile systems in one.
As a Pre/Pro even the "lowly" AVR-520 will blow all but the best away (see the shootout between the 520 and the Outlaw 950) and the 8000 has "even" better quality, processing and sonics than it's excellent little brother. (do I have to mention 7.1 Logic 7 from 5.1 source again?)
A dream system would be the AVR8000 with two 3 channel (300wpc)CineNova amps (6th channel to power a VMPS sub) and using the onboard amp(s) to power multi-room apps.
This Receiver would be a "BARGAIN" if it had no amps, at its street price.
Sound and Vision reports 282watts (one channel driven at 4 ohms at clipping) So even the amp is a handful.
There is no doubt that the Denon 4802 is a quality, high performance unit, but I like the HK philosophy and approach, and it hasn't changed since I bought my first piece in 1974 (almost 30 years ago)
I might add that I sold my HK16 amps I bought in 1974 for $800 each, just recently for $600 each. Not bad for amps that are almost 30 years old. (used daily and never in the repair shop) They still benched at .009% THD and 580wpc (bridged at 4ohms)
Get an HK ;)
John

Matt Weldy

Second Unit
Sorry about the 800 dollar thing I misread a eariler post. But where can you find the best price for it.

Paul Clarke

Supporting Actor
The Z designation means it's remanufactured by Harman.

As to whether or not you're being cheated I can't say. Is it advertised as new? What's the selling price?

JohnDW

Agent
I agree - would seems that Logic 7 is at leas the equal of DDPL 2 (and isnt THX EX- which hk has - the equivalent of DD EX?)

does anyone with the hk 8000 know if the speakers distances on setup are adjustable in 0.5 foot or 1.0 foot increments ? or does it force you to adjust in (argh!) milliseconds ?

Matt Weldy

Second Unit
can you adjust for non centered sweet spot. Can one surround be further away to the left than the one is to the right. IN other words can one side surround be 8 feet away and the other be 5. And can you make this reciever compensate for this.

Paul Clarke

Supporting Actor
Yes, all speaker positions have their own adjustments. Surround Back Right and Left do not show onscreen unless making a surround mode adjustment over 5.1.

Greg Hamilton,

Which set of B&W NT's are you driving with the HK8000? I'm looking to get a set of 9NT's and was thinking about the Pioneer 49TXi when it comes out, mostly because I anticipate getting a DV 47TXi when they come out and having firewire for multi channel sound, similar to what Denon is doing.

Something inside me keeps coming back to the look and fell of this HK8000 receiver. I'm worried about under powering the 9NT's though. Second choice for my speakers will be KEF CDM3's, also 4 ohm but a bit more efficient.

Thanks

Greg Hamilton

Stunt Coordinator
Robert,

I'm using 7NT's for main as well as 1NT's for rears and center. I don't see the 9NT's being a problem for the 8000 amps nor the Denon or Pioneer receivers. -gh

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks