What's new

S&V H/K 8000 review is in Oct issue (1 Viewer)

Paul Clarke

Supporting Actor
Daryl,

I understand now. Sorry for the sloppy post...wrong tense. They haven't made the 8000 entry yet as the issue has barely hit the stands. I went back and re-read it...I see how someone would go there thinking the 8000 was listed...SORRY. :b I meant to convey that another H/K listing would finally get on there. I find that site is often unavailable due to high demand.

Gregory Scott Bass

Stunt Coordinator
I need to know if the channels are assignable....in other words if I hook up a amp to the 8000 preamp mains then can I use the 8000 internal amps to drive the two side channels for 7.1

AntonS

Stunt Coordinator
Gregory, on H/K preamps and amps are physically separated and are just jumpered on the back of the machine. Remove the jumpers, and you can use preamps and amps as you wish.

Daryl L

Supporting Actor
Got my S&V mag in the mail today. Impressive AVR8000 review. One think the reviewer says that is puzzling. On page 64, top right column.On my 8000 EzSet will not calibrate the subwoofer and the manual states this. He must mean he used the internal signal and the remotes sensor and blinking red/green lights to calibrate the subwoofer manually.

JohnDW

Agent
For those of us who havent gotten hard copy of Oct S and V mag, can you clue us in to what specifically the review liked about the avr8000 and how it stacks up with competitor receivers ?

DonJ

Second Unit
Hey JohnDW. H/K under rates there power ratings much as 30%.

Matt Weldy I would go with the H/K there amps just cant be matched in this price range.

JohnDW

Agent
is that 85 amps peak current per channel and for real ? i mean, parasound 2205 and citation 7.1 only quote 65 amps peak current ?Thats a LOT of dynamic headroom for a receiver rated at only 110 amps x 5 channels driven....this should be abel to drive any set of 5 speakers in HT mode..

John A. Casler

Second Unit
I think HK has finally made a market comeback, from a couple years of very bad product defects and QC.

I have been a user of HK since 1973 when I bought my first Citation 16. I ran that 16 and two others until 1 year ago and I still run the HK Citation 19 amp and Citation 17 pre-amp in my 2 channel system.

HK has always "understated" their specs and power, and let the performance "speak for itself".

I still sell a lot and use a lot, and never hear a non-musical or low performance sound from them.

In fact I will be putting my AVR7000 on the block soon even though it has been the best sounding reciever I have ever heard. (And I have heard a lot of them)

John

Blake R

Stunt Coordinator
The RMS rating of an amp is not directly rated to its peak handling capability. The transient response of an amplifier is quite often tested with short high current pulses well above the steady state capability of the electronics. Sudden transient peaks in digital soundtracks can cause transient surges of dozens of amps but they are so brief the average power is quite low. I'll bet the transient response of these HK amps is measured around 700 or 800 watts.

Dalton

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dalton
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the fact that this is the only product outside of the high end(expen$ive) Lexicon Pre/Pro's that can apply Logic 7 to 5.1 sources. That feature alone is enough to warrant this product serious consideration for anyone in the market for a new Receiver or Pre/pro. I've seen this unit going for $1200 to $1500 on ebay and other online e-tailers. It might be time to replace my Onkyo 797 as a pre/pro.

Dalton

Bill Will

Screenwriter
A few things I don't like about the HK is no phono input & only 2 audio inputs, 1 audio record loop & no on-screen menus using the component video output. For what this receiver costs it should have all of this plus more audio only inputs.

RichardMA

Second Unit
85 amps per channel at what voltage? Seriously, it
sounds like pure b.s. The wall voltage is 120v x 15-20
amps. 85 amps even at low voltage is enough to arc weld
with. I've heard of this being possible with huge
Krell amps, but how do you suck more power out of the wall
current than it can provide without blowing fuses/breakers?
I've got a power supply for a mercury arc light that produces only 1.5amps at 37 volts and it's transformer weighs at least 10 lbs. How big are the toroids in the H&K?

Greg Hamilton

Stunt Coordinator

Gotta love that gold plating, cool colors (looks nice) and those solid metals binding posts.
Seriously though, I don't care about the numbers (wattage, amperage, mileage.. whatever). I trust my ears. I love the multitude of connections. I found it rather straight-forward and intuitive to use. Logic7C 5.1 is my prefered choice over DTS NEO:6 or DPLII. Clean and strong sounding amps (driving B&W NTs). Overall great package for my needs.
Hate the remote enough to twist my rubber arm and buy a real remote (Marantz 5200 remote).
BTW - High Instantaneous Current Capability of 85 amps .. not constant 85 amps.

John A. Casler

Second Unit
A few things I don't like about the HK is no phono input & only 2 audio inputs, 1 audio record loop & no on-screen menus using the component video output. For what this receiver costs it should have all of this plus more audio only inputs.
Look Here:
http://www.harmankardon.com/feature_..._8000_pic.html
And here:
http://www.harmankardon.com/product_...208000&sType=C
Looks like 4 analog and 8 digital (4 optical and 4 coax)audio inputs
If you want a phono section buy a good one used on audiogon and run it into one of the analog inputs.
Nowhere will you find this much quality, performance or this musical a receiver for $1600.
THX/Logic7/100 "real" wpc all 5 channels driven/and did I mention MUSICAL!
John

Greg Hamilton

Stunt Coordinator
There are 4 'Audio' inputs, 6 'Audio/Video" inputs, 4 Digital Coax input, 4 Digital Toslink input, 2 Digital Coax ouput, 2 Digital Toslink output, 8 channel direct input, 3 component video inputs, 1 component video output, etc..etc..etc..
There is no PHONO input, component video is only 30 Mhz, only 5 channels of amplification, no video up-conversion to component video, no firmware upgradeability, no proprietary digital interface, no firewire, no DD-EX, no THX ultra2, horrible remote (JMO).
;) I still love my 8000. -gh

Paul Clarke

Supporting Actor
It's obvious H/K's are built for people who care about their Music and HT audio. Video is almost an afterthought.
As John says, you can't touch this Musical quality anywhere else for this money.

As to no PHONO, if you're truly into vinyl you'll want a phono preamp anyway.

H/K gives people what they need at a high level of quality. They don't spend a lot of time running around trying to please everyone with the latest and greatest. Their designs are repeatedly used as exemplars of how things should be done. They are slow to make significant design change (as in # of amplified channels) and prefer to deliver a known quantity at a known quality (the early China phase being an exception). They do this consistently and with a very conservative approach, to say the least, even in the face of stiff competition.

Dare I say it? They appear to build for purists at all price levels. I for one am very thankful.

Just my opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks