What's new

RSP-1066 has hit the streets (1 Viewer)

J

John Morris

So you're not using the much vaunted Outlaw analog passthroughs for CD's? Wouldn't you just use your digital in connector when you want to use subs, and analog passthrough when you don't?
Hi LarryB: Well, yes, but I'm beta testing the unit. If I didn't try everything out, including the onboard DACs and processing modes fpor CD playback, how could I comment on them. But, yes, I do prefer the direct bypass mode for most CDs.

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
John Morris, I know you have the same SACD/CD player that I have...the Sony SCD-555ES. Does this mean you prefer the DAC's in the Sony over the vaunted 24/192 DACS in the Outlaw? Interesting. Is there a vast difference in the sound and what kind of tonal characteristic changes do you hear when switching between modes?

W

Will

The Rotel has been available for the last two days. Hasn't anyone bought it yet who can attach it to their home theater setup and maybe tell us how it actually sounds?

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
Will, I know not all Rotel dealers have them already. Legairre and I wanted to go and listen to one the other night when we heard it was released but our local dealer didn't think he'd have any in stock until mid March, maybe sooner but not by much.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Bass management *can* be done in the analog domain (i.e., Outlaw's ICBM), but it is rare. (Analog filters.)

But, why would only the sub part of the signal be digitized? I would think it's an all or none scenario.

Michael Langdon

Stunt Coordinator
Regarding speaker distances/delays, I understand the following to be true from the Rotel RSP-1066 manual found on their website. No delay for the front speakers. The center, surrounds and center back speakers have delays set in milliseconds (1 ms per foot difference between distance from sweet spot to front speakers and distance from sweet spot to speakers delay is being set for). With no delay being set for the front speakers, this means it is assumed the front speakers are the farthest away from the listener. The ranges available for the center speaker are 0,1,2,3,4, and 5 ms. So the center speaker can be as far away as the front speakers or up to 5 feet closer. The ranges available for the surround and center backs speakers are 0, 5, 10, and 15 ms. Again, not 0 through 15 ms, but only in multiples of 5 up to 15 ms. The delay can be set for the surrounds and the center back independent of each other. However, with the choices of 0, 5, 10, and 15 ms, the speakers must be as far away as the front speakers (0 ms) or 5, 10, and 15 feet closer to the sweet spot or listener. So if your front speakers are 10 feet away and your surrounds are 7 feet away, you cannot set a 3 ms delay. You would have to choose 0 or 5ms in this case. Why not give a range in 1 ms increments for the surrounds and center back speakers. I hope someone can determine if this lack of flexibility in delay setttings for the rear speakers including the center back is audible.

JohnSC

Stunt Coordinator
Given all this feedback on the 1066, I wonder whether I would be better off purchasing a Denon 3802 and using it as a pre/pro. Does anyone know of the DACs used in the Denon and how they compare to the 1066?

Tony Lai

Stunt Coordinator
AKM do the DAC's for Lexicon as well. They do a lot of surround processor/receiver DAC stages. They also do pretty much all the prosumer grade soundcards.

They aren't the equal of BB IMO but it's so close.

T.

Steven Phipps

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steve Phipps
I have the opportunity to pick up the 1066 tomorrow, but there is no returning it (unless I want a more expensive pre/pro). Since I am in Canada, I think it would be easier to deal with warranty issues with the Rotel 1066 than the Outlaw (shipping, being an expensive issue as well). I also do not really know how much the Outlaw is going to cost when all is said and done after exchange, duty, taxes & shipping...not to mention the warranty shipping issues if they arise. The Outlaw is a brand new unit, and you know what happens with cars when they get a new design or model (Fiero, is a great example!:eek: Though, maybe a touch extreme:b ). So, I believe I will have to bite the bullet and go on Rotels reputation...guess we will see tomorrow. Does anybody know if the 1066 automatically detects analog or digital signal, I haven't heard this asked or answered yet, I would hate to have to "tell" the unit, as I will probably have cable with both signals.
Steve.

BrentPollard

Second Unit
Steven. I suppose its wishful thinking, but you wouldn't be located in the Saskatoon Sk area would you? Maybe a small group purchase on the Rotel is possible if you are. I am on the Outlaw waiting list but I too worry about shipping issues when warranty or upgrades are concerned.

Bob_L

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bob Lindstrom
Does anybody know if the 1066 automatically detects analog or digital signal
Steven:

I scanned through the manual on the Rotel site. As I understand it, if you connect digital and analog to the same inputs and set the input selection to "digital," the system will look for the digital. If it doesn't find it, it will look automatically for an analog signal.

If you set the input to "analog," it will only look for the presence of analog input. It will not look at the digital input.

Legairre

Supporting Actor
Steven,

I'd be very interested in any comments you have about the Rotel after you pick one up. One dealer around here doesn't have any and my usual dealer is an hour away. He has some, but I don't feel like taking the drive. After you get one let the members know how it sounds.

JohnSC

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks LarryB. I would have to agree. Your comments have restored the faith but it will come down to the listening. I am from Australia and we won't see it until April. I will be relying on you guys in the USA to give it a good test and report it right here!!

John

Conroy Tesa

Stunt Coordinator
When it comes to direct, bypass mode or whatever the 2 keys are whether the analogue signal is converted to digital and then back to analogue or stays in the analogue mode.

There is nothing wrong with using some bass management in the analogue realm (that is what is done in your speakers with the tweeter/ midrange etc). Filtering out lows and sending them to the sub opens up the midrange and makes your speakers sound better. If the 950 has bypass on the 5.1 input with bass management it probably is in the analogue realm, and if thats okay for DVD-A/SACD then it should be for CD!

The problem comes when the bass management is done in the digital realm because the extra conversion od A/D and D/A has to degrade the signal. And by just bypassing the left and right signals to the speakers full range and also getting a sub signal and outputting that doubles up the low frequencies really screws the sound.

People should look at subs more than a boom box and more to an extention of the full range of the signal.

Filtering out the lows in your mains gives your amps more life, opens up the mids.

If using you sub with the mains for music sounds bad , boomy or muddy, you need a better sub or need to readjust some settings.

Legairre

Supporting Actor
Alright guys. This is a quote from my usual dealer. Let's not forget this is a dealer. I'm taking my family up to Boston this weekend to visit my wife's uncle. Since I'll be in Mass I might just stop in and have a listen. Hey, my wife and kids can always find some shopping for a couple of hours while I demo the thing.

Hi,

We do have this unit set-up and tested in our soundroom (ITS A WOW!) We got just one so far but more are expected shortly.

Tony Lai

Stunt Coordinator
Can someone check the bass management? I don't beleive that it's variable according to the manual. Yes I only read manuals on work time :)

Ok you can force 40-120Hz but that's only on the sub or any I wrong there?

T.

J

John Morris

Tony: Is I understood the Rotel tech correctly, you can set the single crossover for between 40-120Hz, the only other setting is if you choose large or small for each of your speaker settings. Also, this crossover is ONLY for signals which are digitally processed like DD/DTS, or PCM passed digitally to the 1066. I believe he said that the crossover on the 1066 operates just like the one in the 1065.?

Tony Lai

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks John,

I spend a considerable amount of time reading technical manuals about 'hardware' so that's when I print and read out HT manuals - hey the machine duplex and binds :)

What is small and large then? I vaguely remember seeing 100Hz as the cut for speakers? This is less than ideal IMO.

T.

BruceD

Screenwriter
Tony,

The Rotel manual states that setting speakers for Small/Large is a global setting for all modes.

Small= speakers whose frequency response specs don't include all the bass frequencies.

example; a surround speaker with specs of 75-20kHz +/-3dB requires a prepro crossover to be set higher than the speaker's lowest 75Hz response, say at 80Hz, or 100Hz.

Here is what the manual says about crossovers:

The CROSSOVER setting activates a low-pass

filter for the subwoofer and a corresponding

high-pass filter for all SMALL speakers in the

system at the selected frequency. To adjust the

crossover frequency, highlight the CROSSOVER

line using the UP/DOWN buttons. Then, use

the +/– buttons to chose one of the following

options: OFF, 40Hz, 60Hz, 80Hz, 100Hz,

or 120Hz.
This means you only get to select a single crossover frequency for all speakers that are set to small, but that one xover frequency is either 40Hz, 60Hz, 80Hz, 100Hz or 120Hz.

When you set all speakers to small and they all have different low frequency response specs, you still only get one crossover frequency for all of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks