RSP-1066 has hit the streets

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Legairre, Feb 21, 2002.

1. Legairre

Legairre Supporting Actor

2. george king

george king Supporting Actor

Legairre,
    You da man. I will have to go check it out. As much as I would love the Anthem unit (I hope you love yours when you get it), I do not have the money for it. However, with the trade in allowance on my Yamaha 995, I could probably swing the 1066.
    Thanks for everything[​IMG]

3. Tony Lai

Tony Lai Stunt Coordinator

Hah!

What a difference a company makes.

Not slamming that other company but it is a refreshing change is it not?

:)

T.

4. Dennis B

Dennis B Stunt Coordinator

This is great news. I just wonder how long will it take to make it to the corners of this world...

5. Steve G

Steve G Agent

Try this link, http://www.rotel.com/PDFS/PRODUCTS/rsp1066.pdf
    It takes a minute to load but worth it. This looks like one helluva unit also. I like the ability to upgrade this unit also.
    Rotel XS- looks like their version of DD-EX and DTS-ES compatibility.
    Steve

6. StevenK

StevenK Second Unit

Damn! It's damn good looking to boot!

I don't exactly understand the "DTS-ES compatible" quote above though. Are they using their own algorithm to process the DTS-ES signal?

7. AVspec

AVspec Supporting Actor

Mark
    Thought you might like the specs listed here:

Model RSP-1066

Audio

THD

8. brian a

brian a Second Unit

One of the local shops is supposed to call me when they get them in. I just sent my ref. 20 off to its new owner, so I'm without theater until it gets replaced. I'll try to bring the rotel home depending on the return policy ( I haven't bought from these guys before). I'll post with whatever I find out unless someone picks one up before they make it down here.

brianca...

9. John Morris

John Morris Guest

I'm gonna see if I can get one of these tomorrow to see how it sounds. If so, I'll report back!

10. John Morris

John Morris Guest

Anyone know the following about the 1066:

1. Does it have DD-EX onboard decoding or does it use something like a Cirrus Expanded Surround to simulate DD-EX? If the 1066 does not yet have DD-EX, has Rotel announced when the upgrade to DD-EX(or THX-EX) will take place?

2. Does it have an onboard tuner?

3. Does it support analog bypass on any of its' two channel inputs, or only on its' 5.1 channel SACD input?

4. Does it have seperate crossovers for front, center and rear channels?

5. It does mention "on the fly" adjusting of speaker levels but does not say if those adjustments are memorized for the source. Can you memorize individual speaker levels for each source type?

6. Does it support setting individual speaker distance setting for each of the 8 speakers?

7. Does it offer any post processing like THX and Cinema EQ offers?

8. Which DACs, ADCs and Crystal DSPs are used in the 1066?

9. Are the DACs 192/24 DACs or 96/24 DACs?

I guess we have alot of questions not the least of which is how it sounds...

11. Will

Will Guest

The most important question to answer is how it sounds. The second most important question to answer is is it really out.
    No, it does not have an onboard tuner. But I read it can in some modes decode into 7 discrete channels (like Lexicon's Logic 7). I've read the Outlaw pre/pro decodes into, at most, 6 discrete channels.

12. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

I'd be curious as to modes for a 6.1 or 7.1 speaker system for 5.1 and stereo sources (DPL movies)...
    At least it doesn't *look* like an Outlaw, Sherbourn, or that other one! [​IMG]

13. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

Merc, I know it DOES NOT have a tuner. Analog bypass for ONLY the 5.1 inputs (not on 2 channel sources).

Advanced microprocessors from Crystal Semiconductor handle Dolby Digital (complete with dynamic range adjustments), dts, and Dolby Pro Logic II decoding. The RSP-1066 also automatically detects and decodes dts ES, dts ES Discrete, HDCD, and MP3-encoded audio. There’s also dts Neo:6 mode of cinema sound and music. Six other DSP modes (Music 1-4, 5 CH Stereo, and 7 CH Stereo).

An adjustable subwoofer crossover (40 to 120Hz in 20 Hz increments and Off)

It HAS memory settings for different inputs, not sure about levels though.

It's software upgradable through a RS-232 port.

Your other questions are beyond the realm of my knowledge.

14. brian a

brian a Second Unit

Does it say in the doco that there is no analog pass-through on the 2 channel, or does it not say that there is?

brianca...

15. Bob-N

Bob-N Supporting Actor

16. John Tompkins

John Tompkins Supporting Actor

Is the bass management on JUST the sub or all speakers, groups etc..Also has it been verified that dts-es matrix mode will indeed decode dolby digital sources ??

17. John Morris

John Morris Guest

Hi Guys and Gals! I just got off the phone with Rotel and here is what I found out so far about the 1066 from Mike at Rotel America.
    1. DD-EX: No actual DD-EX or THX-EX but a Cirrus/Rotel Expanded Surround which will do practically the same thing with DD-EX encoded material.
    2. When I asked if the Rotel XP processing produced a discrete 7.1 channel output, they said sure, on DTS-ES Discrete encoded material. When I asked about a "logic 7" type processing, they did say that although it is not truly a discrete 7.1 output like Logic 7, their software DOES prevent dumping all the surround material into the middle back channels by re-matrixing the final mix with reference to what is contained in the original left and right rear surround signal. Huh? Anyway, it sounds alot like the Cirrus Expanded Surround contained in the Outlaw 950 beta2 unit that I have?
    3. One crossover for subwoofer only. No seperate crossovers for the individual speakers but you can set them for large or small individually. No switchable crossover at all for 5.1 SACD/DVD-A inputs.
    4. Speaker distance settings for Center Front, Left Surround, Right Surround, and Single Center Surround speakers. No speaker distance settings for front L, R or for two individual rear center speakers.
    5. Said that the 6.1 inputs AND the CD input both support analog bypass. He didn't sound sure of this but he said that the 1065 unit also did this and the 1066 supports the same inputs for analog bypass setting. Does the 1065 have analog bypass for its' CD input?
    6. He said that the 1066 will support and memorize individual speaker levels for each input just like the 1065 did.
    7. Uses Cirrus/Crystal DSP as they say in brochure, but didn't know which DACs and ADCs are used or if they are 192/24 or 96/24 chips? He promised to find out and get back to me on this.
    8. Of course, as many have already noted, it has no tuner; but Mike told me that adding the Rotel 1080 tuner is a very nice matching option. [​IMG]
    So, if the info Rotel gave me was accurate, it sounds like feature wise the 1066 comes up short on some things and better on other things. If it sounds as good as the Outlaw 950 I guess it will be a matter of which feature set is most important to you and if those differences are worth an additional $400 or so bucks?
    When Rotel gets back to me with info on the DACs and ADCs, I'll post it here.

18. Steven Phipps

Steven Phipps Stunt Coordinator

Steve Phipps
    Just wondering if anyone has in fact found out the unit is currently shipping, or when it will hit the stores.

19. Legairre

Legairre Supporting Actor

merc,

Thanks for all the leg work. you saved all of us a lot of emails and calling around. From what you found out. I'd agree with you. Depending on the DACs. It sounds like it's equal to the 950 on features. Like you said. Better on some, worse on others. Of course we still don't know how it sounds. Could be good, or could be just OK. I was told that the 1065 receiver has analog pass thu on the CD and the 6.1. I guess well find out soon enough.

Thanks

Legairre

20. Scott-C

Scott-C Supporting Actor

Hey Merc,

Thanks. Interesting that the 1066 has no speaker distance/delay settings for the front left/right speakers. I guess they assume that the listener will be able to correctly position and balance both the left and right front speakers, and that they will be farther away from the listener than any of the 4 surround speakers.