What's new

RPTV Set REcommendation.... (1 Viewer)

chris_cwatts

Auditioning
Hello, I am new to the forum, and have a question regarding the item 'progressive scan doubler' on the panny sets.

What is that exactly? Is that just another method of describing a line doubler?

Then the other question. In the current offerins, Sony, HT, Toshiba, Panny etc., do they all have a type of line doubler feature? Is that what is happening when the image is being upconverted to 1080i.....

Thanks
Chris

chris_cwatts

Auditioning
Hello again,

Just spent some time at Best Buy's, and now I am even more confused. Looking at a 55" or 57" in the following brand/model choices.

Toshiba 57H83 @ 1799.00
Samsung HCN-5527W @ 1799.00
Mitsubishi WS-57313 @ 2095.00

Now they all look great, and I have been trying to gleen as much info here as possible, but the decision is difficult.

What can you recommend of these three sets. Any reason to avoid any of them at Best Buy? I have heard the Mitsubishi are not the same (special made for Best Buy). Does that mean they are of lesser value, and not worth the purchase there?

Any help would be appreciated.

Take care,
Chris

Drew Bethel

Screenwriter
Have you considered a projector? Check the threads below for some pretty happy customers!

All you need is at least 70% light control and 8+ feet of viewing distance for some front projetors.

chris_cwatts

Auditioning
Thanks for your input, but no I don't want a projector. This is going in my family room, and I am looking at a 55" - 57", set....and just need some guidance/advice. I don't want to make a mistake. I have a Hitachi Ultravision (46") and it has been great, still is great. It is going in a little place in the basement I am setting up for my teenage kids.

Any thing I should know that would steer me away from Mitsubish at Best Buy, or Toshiba, or Samsung?

Thanks,
Chris

chris_cwatts

Auditioning
Well, I am starting to settle for the Hitachi. I love the look of the set, and the picture is great. Also had the stretch modes demonstrated and I like that also. I mentioned I have had great success with my Hitachi Ultravision, purchased in 1996 and still going strong....so that is another determining factor.

Now the for the model decision:

57F500 is 2090 at CC
57S500 is 2499

Trying to decide if the difference between the two is worth $400? Can anyone provide input on that decision?

Thanks,
Chris

Ed_Palubicki

Auditioning
Chris, I have had a Toshiba 57H83 and let me say it is the best bang for the buck.

I have been plesenty surprised on how great the picture is and how easy it has been to set up and use.

I got mine at Conn's for 1400.00 and they threw in a free DVD player too.;)

Drew Bethel

Screenwriter
I would go with Hitachi, especially if you can still find the SWX, TWX, or XWX (20B)models. You should also consider purchasing a refurbished tv from www.uecweb.com. Quite a few people over at avsforum have purchased from uec and noticed only minor cosmetic blemishes on the set. A small handful were not so thrilled with their set and returned it.

Do a search on this and other forums for uec and read for yourself. But the new Hitachi's are watered down versoins of the SWX and TWX models that have been discontinued. However, once ISF'd the 500 models may get close.

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
The consensus seems to be that last years Hitachis had poor stretch modes as compared to this year. If that's important to you I'd probably stick with the F500/S500.

I was recently in the same boat, considering all the sets you listed plus Sony, Panasonic, etc. I ended up with Toshiba.

I've had my 65H83 for about a week and so far I love it. I haven't even used Avia or Digital Video Essentials yet. I've just ran through THX Optimode, lowered the contrast significantly (it's pegged at 100 by default), and I went into the service menu to tweak convergence and overscan a bit.

The picture is just awesome with DVDs (no HD yet here). If you decide to go the Toshiba route to save a few bucks over the Hitachi, I really don't think you will regret it at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks