What's new

RPTV I can get into my basement (1 Viewer)

Greg_Ritchie

Stunt Coordinator
Hi,
I'm having trouble finding a selection of good RPTVs that I can fit down the stairs into my basement. I've measured and the doorway is 29" wide and the landing is 34" deep. Anyone have an idea how big of a set I could fit down it? I've been looking at the Toshiba 50" because it seems to be shallowest and not too wide. Ideally I'd like something 50-57" but I don't think there are any models that come as two pieces. I've looked at some Sonys, Hitachis and the Panasonics but they are all bigger than the Toshiba. Several stores in my area (Toronto) have told me they have people that will disassemble and reassemble any set I get for between $300-425 cash. Has anyone actually had this experience? I'm a little concerned to have someone disassemble my brand new set.

Thanks for your time,
Greg

BruceSpielbauer

Second Unit
All of the 65" Mitsubishi sets come apart, for easier installation. I have read where many users managed to get these in where a 55" or 57" could not fit, because of this.

They ship in one piece, but they come apart in only minutes.

Also, regardless of the set you are considering, you can do what many have done... get a lot of cardboard, corrugated cardboard, old boxes, etc. (Go to a moving company, if you need, and buy some.) Then, get careful measurements from the showroom, with your tape measure and some paper. Get the out of the box measurements. Then, BUILD yourself a mock setup, make it accurate, and you can find out for yourself whether a set will make the corners, the turns, the bends, etc. Then, when you find the perfect set, keep the mockup so you can demonstrate for the delivery guys exactly how they need to manipulate it. Then, tip them when they get it right .

(You can also usually get the exact out of the box measurements from the manufacturer's web sites, even to the smallest fraction of an inch.)

-Bruce in Chi-Town

errol

Stunt Coordinator
Hi there,

A few brands like mits and tosh have sets that are modular. Those would be your best bet.

Making a mockup is always a good idea though.

Thanks,
Errol

Steve Petrosino

Auditioning
Are you in the mood for one of the new DLP RPTVs?
Samsung has a 50" 16:9 about to hit the streets that is less than 18" deep (HLM507w). I am still waiting to see it.

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
If you do the mock up, don't be exact, add a little more just to be safe. That way if it makes it, then you know the real set will.

Greg_Ritchie

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Again,
I've pretty much decided that I'm either going to get a 43" Hitachi widescreen or have to pay someone to disassemble a 50-51" set and set it up in my basement. So far Tech support for Panasonic and Sony have both told me their technicians will not disassemble a set. Unfortunately no widescreen sets bigger than 43" will fit down my staircase. Does anyone make any sets that are 45-46", the panasonic 47" won't fit either.I've looked at DLP sets but they are out of my price range.

Also if anyone knows a specific technician that will disassemble/reassemble a set in Toronto I'd like to contact them

Thanks,
Greg

Warner

Agent
Just checking.... you do realize that the tv can be tilted and flipped any way necessary to get it down the stairs?

Greg_Ritchie

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the input,

I realize you can tilt the set I'm just not sure how much space I can gain. The Toshiba 50" almost fits going straight around so maybe it would fit with tilting (I've only built a 2D diagram). The problem is my house is pretty old and once you go through the door to the stairs it's an immediate left hand turn. Ideally I would like to fit the Panny 47" or Sony 51" because I can get a much better price on these but they are a couple inches deeper.

My Fiancee is going away for the weekend so I have resigned myself to building a mockup of out whatever I can find around the house.

Warner

Agent
Are you using the manufacturer specs, and did you take a close look at the tvs in the store? I only mention it because these tvs are not cubes. I don't know about the Tosh, but the Sony 51" has a spec of almost 25" deep, but most of it is only 23", the "lip" along the very bottom at the front adds the other 2". It's also about 47" wide, but only from the front of the screen and going back about 4". Then the cabinet quickly narrows AND slopes down. Very back is less than 34" wide. If you dind't already take a close look at the tvs in a store, bring a measuring tape, and jot a diagram.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
Just out of curiosity, have you considered one of the new LCD and/or DLP HT projectors in lieu of a RPTV?

You would have no trouble getting a projector into your basement; the end result (a 80"-110" picture) will have more impact than a RPTV; and by the time you pay somebody to take a RPTV apart and then put it back together, it'll probably end up costing less to boot!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks