Basement Cabin Theater

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by jef, Sep 26, 2005.

1. jef

jef Auditioning

My parents are in the process of building their 'dream' retreat cabin. When I was working with them a during the early phases of designing the floor plans a home theater was not in the picture. They just didn't think they'd use it... If that had lasted, do you think I'd be posting here?

Anyway, it is going in the basement and while it won't be a 'dedicated' theater room, that will be it's main focus. The problems arise because the room wasn't designed with a home theater in mind, at all. As they are anxious to keep everything moving (we are doing all the work we can ourselves, ie. all the framing, flooring, walls, basically everything minus the logs).

I put up an incredibly crapy website so you guys can get an idea of what we are dealing with, I've got a mockup of my early plan, but who knows how long that will last.

I want to go with a projector system as my mom continually complains that here 50" RPTV isn't big enough. Again, the problem is that she then wants to have a retractable screen.

Right now I'm looking for any opinions anybody might have.

I guess with the URL rules, you'll just have to use the link in my signature...

2. rob-h

rob-h Second Unit

Opinions on what exactly?

3. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

My opinion is... that's a really nice cabin. [​IMG]

Seriously.. your major issue is going to be dealing with the light from those windows if you're going with a FPTV. Unless you're planning on only watching it at night, in which case, I'm sure it's plenty dark out there in the woods. [​IMG]

You don't have it drawn, but you're going to want a subwoofer in there as well.

Also, you need to stop and think where your surround speakers are going. It looks like you might have to go with some sort of ceiling mounted setup. The windows and stairs are kind of restricting you there.

Keep us up to date on your progress.

4. jef

jef Auditioning

Wow, I really should remember not to post anything at 4:30 in the morning. I can't imagine why, but they never make any sense.

Mostly I was looking for opinions on the construction aspects of the job. The room has some 'unique' eccentricities that, ideally, wouldn't exist in a home theater. The windows across the front of the cabin jump to mind for some reason. [​IMG]

As far as the windows go, I was looking into blackout shades across the whole works. While I'd like them motorized, I don't know how practical that is for phase one of this theater. We've also toyed with the idea of making some velvet theater style drapes to go across the front. While I realize in this situation it is going to be nearly impossible to get all of the light out, I'm fairly certain we'll be able to keep a reasonable amount out.

As we have radiant floor heat, I was thinking of putting in laminate flooring throughout the whole basement, but I hadn't really thought of how this would effect a theater.

With the amount of windows and the lack of a 'normal' shaped room, is there something I should be thinking about for wall treatments?

The biggest thing I'm looking for opinions about is the ceiling. As it is totally unfinished right now I want to do it right, but I'm not sure what 'right' is. We aren't THAT concerned with soundproofing between the two levels as there is a huge hole where the steps are... I think it is going to be unavoidable that when I want to watch Return of the King at 2 in the morning, I'm going to annoy people. Oh well, they should have told me they wanted a theater earlier!

Yeah, in the drawing I didn't put in the sub, it was mostly a mockup I made to show my mom what I was thinking.

Yeah, thier cabin is totally great. Most of this summer was spent doing extremely slow things like cleaning and treating the logs, but now things are really starting to click. Every weekend you can actually SEE something is done. I'm in the process of making them a website for their cabin that'll feature pictures and information from our 3 years of construction. Doing it ourselves might take longer, but I wouldn't have it any other way!