Thisclose to buying the Samsung HLN617W

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Rob Varto, May 23, 2004.

1. Rob Varto

Rob Varto Supporting Actor

I know the 2004 models are on their way, but I have a chance to get the Samsung HLN617W for $3399, have it delivered and the movers will move my Toshiba 65" RPTV (300 lbs) to the basement!

Can anyone give me a good reason not to jump on this deal?

2. Dave>h

Dave>h Second Unit

$3399 is a great price.

I picked one up, guess I have had it for about a month now.

Personally, I really like. I won't say I love it because it does have a few quirks - the green is very green and in the beginning, I had a problem with the green bleeding into yellow, turning blonde hair a greenish tinge. I also notice some graininess in fleshtones in darker images, kind of hard to describe exactly what it looks like. However, I spent a few hours calibrating the set using AVIA and have finally arrived at a setting which works pretty well in almost every situation. That is to say, it has minimized the problems noted above in most situations. The problems still exist but I only notice them in certain situations and I can live with that given the size and price and just plain cool factor of the TV.

So, I cannot see any reason not to buy the set, especially at that price point.

Dave

3. WilliamPC

WilliamPC Agent

That is a smokin deal considering I just paid $2900 for the HLN507W. So far my DLP has been flawless. No rainbow effect, near perfect color out of the box, no "green issues" and the blacks are not as bad as I was led to believe.

Jump on it!