What's new

RP 91 auto scaling question. (1 Viewer)

Billy Fogerty

Stunt Coordinator
I notice when the RP 91 is in the 4:3 mode, there is a small black bar on the right side. This is within the 4:3 picture. Not the black bars it creats to scale too 4:3. Has anyone else noticed this? I was wondering if there is a way to get rid of this bar. I went through the procedure to center the picture. It has no effect. It is as if the picture is shifted to the left within the 4:3 frame. Would love to here from other RP 91 owners.

David Dennison

Second Unit
I also have an RP91 that aligns the picture a little to the left. I haven't figured out any way to center the picture.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Keep in mind that you will need to recenter the RP-91 whenever your player loses electrical power. I noticed my image had re-shifted to the left after a prolonged power outage this summer.
------------------
My DVD Collection
AFI 100 Films to watch: 40 -> 2

Billy Fogerty

Stunt Coordinator
Vince, this site does not have what I am talking about. The 4:3 scaled image is centered on my screen. Within the centerd image, there is still a small black vertical bar on the right side. It is within the 4;3 image, not outside. I know about centering the picture, but it has no effect on this bar. Maybe I'm missing something? You guys tell me.
confused.gif

Scott, my image has been centered since I hooked up this player. So centering is not the problem.
confused.gif

[Edited last by Billy Fogerty on October 30, 2001 at 01:00 PM]

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Bill,
I do not have the vertical black bar on the right side of the 4x3 frame that you are seeing. After centering the image properly for widescreen material, I do notice that when viewing 4x3 material the left black side bar is wider than the right black side bar (as if the image has been shifted to the right).
------------------
My DVD Collection
AFI 100 Films to watch: 40 -> 2

Vince_K

Auditioning
Hmm... I have not heard of your described problem before, Billy. I'm sorry that I cannot help further. Perhaps you can contact the author of the above faq and see if he has been approached with a similar occurrence. David, at least I was able to help out one of you.
Vince

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
This is a known problem. It not as obvious as the centering problem, and many people probably have not noticed it. Unfortunately, most of the time when you describe it, most people don't realy listen to what you are saying becasue they assume it is the problem that they have seen and they give you the fix for the centering problem, of which you already know.
When I asked about this MONTHS ago, Robert George (OBI) clarified that this is a known problme that hadn't yet bene resolved. He was waiting to hear from panasonic about it.
I haven't heard anything from him about it since then, but I can barely see it in "U" mode (for whatever reason). So it's not that big a deal.
Sean

David Dennison

Second Unit
The link provided earlier in this thread (http://members.home.net/hdtvguy/HiDef_frames.htm) no longer works. I had saved the web page and was hoping to do some tuning on my RP91 this weekend, but now I can't get the information. Specifically I want to center my picture, and dim the progressive scan blue light which were both described on the link.
Can anyone help?

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
To center the picture, hold down the STOP button on the DVD player front panel and press the arrow key on the remote (right arrow to shift to the right, left arrow to shift to the left). If you have Avia or another test disc, you can use one of the patterns to get the picture centered properly.
Dimming the front panel lights is done from the player's function menu. I can't remember exactly where it's located, but it's not too hard to find.
------------------
My DVD Collection
AFI 100 Films to watch: 40 -> 1

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks