What's new

Rotel RSX-1055 impressions.... (1 Viewer)

John Dunlap

Stunt Coordinator
Just heard the new Rotel A/V Receiver last night. I was very impressed to say the least. First of all the unit is beautiful to look at (this was the black version). Does'nt have the large heat sinks in the front like the 1065 but it does have a slightly more "industrial" look than your average Japanese mass market product.

I heard a Linda Ronstadt CD being played on B&W 604's. Imaging and clarity was awesome for a receiver. It seemed that the power was adequate but there was not a whole lot of "head room". I think that this receiver paired up with a Rotel amp like maybe the 1066 powering the fronts would be an awesome combo. I did A/B this receiver against Rotel separates and I must say there was a dramatic improvement with the separates. Much more open, detailed sound.

Anyway, I would highly recommend that anyone looking for a receiver in the $1,000 range should definitely check out the 1055 !!! The only reservation I would have is that for about $400 less you can get a Rotel RSX-972 (last year's model). If you can live without the fancy new DSP modes and the assignable amp channels, this is probably the way to go.

John Dunlap

Stunt Coordinator
It was a Rotel Pre-Amp (Sorry don't know model #) plus an RMB-1066 in bridged mode (150W/Channel).

John Dunlap

Stunt Coordinator
I wish I could help you but Rotel still has nothing up on their site other than the instruction manual. It looks pretty similar to the RSX-972 model that it is replacing. The only noticeable difference is the flared ends on the front. I only saw the black version but I'm sure the silver is absolutely stunning to look at! IMO-It sure beats the generic look of a Denon/Marantz/Onkyo.

Piers C

Stunt Coordinator
John -

Thanks for your postings on the 1055!

BTW, did you have a chance to A/B demo the RSX 1055 vs. RSX 972? Did you get any insight from the dealer as to anything beyond what's listed in the owner's manual for the new model?

-piers

John Dunlap

Stunt Coordinator
I did not A/B against the 972. I suspect that it would be hard to notice an audible difference between the 2. The main improvements with the 1055 are of course the new surround modes-DPL II, DTS-ES, etc. and the fact that it has assignable amps. This is a handy feature for anyone who will be adding outboard amplification. Like I said, if those new features are'nt that important to you then there are definitely some nice deals to be had on the 972!!

jack x

Stunt Coordinator
Hi All,
I got my RSX-1055 in silver last week. Over the weekend I purchased a new computer and inherited a great digital camera. As soon as I get all the critical updates for the Windows XP and get the camera software running, I'll attempt my first picture post. The silver is great!
:emoji_thumbsup:
I expected to purchase all my other components in blACK, BUT THE NEW dvd PLAYER AND vcr are also silver. Just my new SACD player is black.

Piers C

Stunt Coordinator
Jack - congrats on your new silver 1055! Looking forward to hearing a review & details.

John - appreciate the quick reply! Not sure if you caught the posting on the other RSX 1055 thread which had a brief reference to stronger amps vs. 972. I haven't been able to confirm this yet, and hard info beyond the pdf manual is thin! I'll let you know if I uncover anything...

-piers

Craig_Kg

Supporting Actor
So do you 1055 receiver owners know if it suffers from the same bass management issue as the 1066 prepro?

Serge Breton

Supporting Actor
what are the retail and street prices for the 1055 and the 1065 receivers respectively? Looking at the specs, these both look like clones of the Rotel 1066 preamp/processor with amplifiers built in. I'm anxious to hear how these two receivers compare to the 1066.

Tony Lai

Stunt Coordinator
The 1055 costs less than the 1066. But it includes fully configurable amps + radio. Surely it can't be that much worse as a preamp than the 1066.

T.

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
From what I've been told the rotel receivers are in fact 1066's with amps on board. The price points each are in has to do with economics not build quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks