What's new

Initial Impressions of the RSX 1055 (1 Viewer)

Rich Wenzel

Supporting Actor
Just got it yesterday.
After opening it up, I noticed a nick on the top, fairly visible, where the faceplate and the chassis are connected.
It's not enough for me to bring back, but I didn't like it. Also the remote has a very faint line in it.
Kind of makes me suspect of Rotel's QC
Firmware is 1.41 from 6/02
Now everything I am saying here is in comparison to my Carver C1000-a
All of this is based on watching a movie (Blackhawk Down) which I never saw using my Carver
YES by YES
A Night in San Francisco by Paco De Lucia, John McCoughlin (sp?), Al Di Meola
Countdown to Extinction by Megadeth
Associated equipment:
fronts: B&W DM605S2
rears: B&W DM605S2
center: B&W LCR6
speakers set to large, large, and small
Denon DVD 1600
Marantz CD 4000OSE
Rotel RCC 955
Dish TV 301
cables, AR, Radioshack, Outlaw
Strenghts of the Rotel
Features, Features, Features (so for, for me it has everything I can see myself needing for the next 2 years)
More DSP's, since my lousy dish tv doesn't have digital out, the DPL2 was nice addition. But DPL2 Music sounded thin and harsh to me when playing music.
The preouts will be very nice when i buy a separate amp.
Solid amp response, good power.
Simple face plate that is easy to use.
Normal RCA in, for multi-channel pass through. My Carver has DB25 inputs, can't blame them for having done that at the times, as THX said it would be the standard, but its annoying.
Negatives for Rotel
To do various things, you need to use the OSD. I don't like that. My carver has a button for everything.
Ease of use. The Rotel, while not being difficult to use, is not nearly as easy to use as my Carver.
Though the unit has good power, my Carver is much more powerful.
I will do a test this w/e, using an SPL to make sure I am at the same volumes to test music and movies.
My initial impression of the sound was that it was warmer than the carver, but a little less detailed and dynamic.
But I guess that should be expected. When you buy the Rotel, you are paying for a lot of features and a good amp. When you are buying the Carver, you are paying a lot for a very good amp and not the features. Since I am planning on getting a separate amp, I consider the Rotel an upgrade.
Oh the remote is kind of weird, very easy to program though, so that is nice.
Rich

RichardMA

Second Unit
I'd love to know how Carver got 200x5 watts out
of a 38lb receiver. It seems like your move was lateral
rather than up in the case of the Rotel, based on your
review.

Rich Wenzel

Supporting Actor
its the same as how they get it out of their Sunfire amps. It has to do with the power supply.

Rich

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks