Initial Impressions: Rotel RSX-1055

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bobbi D, Jul 22, 2002.

1. Bobbi D

Bobbi D Agent

I finally have the RSX-1055 installed in my system. The 1055 replaces a JVC RX-778VBK. There were two reasons for replacing the JVC. First the pre-amp in the JVC would clip with inputs from my test tones disk with frequencies below 24Hz. Second, center collapse with pro logic made listening to music in anything but 2 ch totally frustrating and irritating.
    I auditioned several receivers before making my selection. These were the Denon 4802 and 3802, Elite 47TX, BK 307 and the JVC RX-DP9VBK. I wnated to audtion the Onkyo 797 and 898, but Circuit City is the only local dealer and they don't stock them in the stores. Audtioning was done with music, mostly aucoustical guitar, in the 2ch, DPLII and Neo6 modes. Speakers used were various Sonus Faber.
    The 4802 has a slight edge over the 3802 in mid range detail, but both seemed to lack pure dynamics but had well balanced sound. The Elite was too bright for my taste, but then again the salesman did not know what speaker it was equalized with. The BK307 just seemed harsh to my ears. The JVC did not have Neo6 or DPLII, so it was eliminated. That left me basically resigning myself to the 3802, since the difference between it and the 4802 didn't justify the additional cost in my case. But I wasn't happy with the choice.
    The Rotel RSX had great reviews, but with only DPL, it wasn't an option.
    When the 1055 was announced, I was excited. The processing of the RSP1066 with a 75 w/ch amp seemed like a perfect match.
    The speakers, a 5.2 setup, I have are DIY, not a kit. Drivers used are from Morel, Vifa, and Peerless with two 3 cuft sealed Shiva subwoofers. Crossovers are all done using 1% hand matched components. Timbre is very close to Sonus Faber but with better soundstaging.
    Initial impression on the RSX-1055: I am very happy with the choice. First CD was Melissa Etheridge's Brave and Crazy. Dynamics and sounstaging knocked me out in both Neo6 and 2ch. Midrange and upper midrange was well defined. Acoustic guitar and female voices were very natural. First DVD tried was A Bug's Life in DPLII. Sounstaging here was better than I have heard before. Scenes with the leaves falling left a palpable 3D effect.
    Negatives so far: Having to go through two menus through the OSD to change input source with the remote is bothersome. The other is the remote which has me thoroughly frustrated. After trying multiple times with the remote saying "OK" it learned the commands, it still can't operate the cable box. [​IMG]
    Overall I am happy with the choice which is all that counts.

2. jack x

jack x Stunt Coordinator

Hi Bobbi,
    Congratulations on the new RSX-1055. Thanks for your review.
    I just got the call from my dealer that my silver RSX-1055 is in. I hope to pick it up tonight! [​IMG]
    Enjoy!
    Jack

3. kevitra

kevitra Second Unit

4. Bobbi D

Bobbi D Agent

I finally got the remote to control the cable box last night, third try was a charm. [​IMG]
    Jack, I'm anxious to hear your first impressions.
    Tonight I'll have the time to re-run my test tones on the subs to see if low range extension has changes any. One of the unexpected benefits has been that the subwoofer output is tighter.
    Kevin, I'm pretty sure the answer is no about the direct access codes, but others that have had more experience would the remote would be better qualified to answer. I did notice yesterday that Rotel has not yet posted the Pronto access code file for downloading yet for the 1055.

5. jack x

jack x Stunt Coordinator

Kevitra,

One dealer would not budge from the $1299 MSRP by indicating that Rotel is fairly priced. The dealer I purchased from offered it for $1195 + tax.

I ordered a silver unit on July 11 and picked it up last night - July 22. Not too bad since they were quoting availability as early August!

Jack

6. John Dunlap

John Dunlap Stunt Coordinator

Come on 1055 owners, chime in!! I want to hear how you like it. I'm thinking about picking one up this week.

7. Bobbi D

Bobbi D Agent

Success! The test tones just confirmed my initial impressions. Bass is definitely more extended. Without changing any of the filters on my BFD, in room response is flat down to 16 Hz using the 1055. Response fell of starting at 24 Hz with the JVC and was down -6db at 20 Hz.
    That's an increase of 15 db output at 16 Hz, amazing.
    [​IMG] All this with no clipping whatsoever using the same tones that caused the JVC to clip. I am definitely happy.