What's new

Yamaha RX-V1 to Rotel? (1 Viewer)

Patrick TX

Stunt Coordinator
Damn this obsession! Well, I've convinced myself that I need another upgrade. I have a Yamaha RX-V1 currently, which is an excellent unit. I only paid $999 for it new a few months ago, & it still has warranty. With the remote, it will bring what I paid nearly. It is lacking in a few areas.

2 channel listening. It doesn't really sound warm, but it is detailed. I'm not impressed too much.

Useless modes VS. modes I need. I don't give a damn about 40+ DSP modes. I use DTS, DD 5.1, & 2 channel.
I don't really care for all the effects.

I need Dolby Pro Logic II. I watch a bunch of "digital" cable, and regular PL is crap.
I also have a PS2, and same as above.

Remote. I got the RAV-2000 off ebay, & I never use it.
I am NOT a touchpad guy I've found.

Here is my dilemma. I was super impressed listening to my current speakers with the RSX-1055 at my semi-local dealer. I'm not super impressed with the dealer though. Any Texas Rotel owners? His room was MUCH smaller than mine, & he had it sound dampened like a MoFo. My room is BIG, & is a sonic black hole. I'm wondering if I replace the RX-V1 with the Rotel, will I be giving up much sound quality wise? My Yamaha has more stated power, as in 110X8. 2 of those are effects channels. It does have 110 to the rear center.
The Rotel is 75X5, add a stereo amp & you have 7.1. I COULD add a sweet 200X2 amp to the mains, I'm sure they won't mind! OR, I could do the 1066 & 1075 combo & make the move to seperates.
Suggestions?

Guy Usher

Supporting Actor
Hillcrest HiFidility in Dallas, they are www.hillcresthifidility.com I believe. Big Rotel dealer, no deals except at model changes and when you hold your mouth right.
I bought a NIB Marantz AV9000 for 900bucks out the door 3 year factory warrenty, they were discontinuing (sp) Marantz, right place at the right time, Anthem dealer,Elite, next door to HomeTheater Store, thats a treat, you need to go there. Dont know how far you are from Dallas. . . .

skip marr

Stunt Coordinator
I was in Hill Crest Friday. Nice store and very knowledgeable people. Speak with Andrew Turner - very knowledgable. I had a Yamaha years ago and hated it - too harsh. I had had HK previously, and went back to them again for the better sound - warmer and more wide open. I am currently in the market for a new AV, and am considering HK, Marantz, and possibly Rotel. Andrew was fond of Marantz with Paradign in walls - nice demo - though I think you can get better pricing eleswhere. Good luck

Patrick TX

Stunt Coordinator
Marvin Electronics in Fort Worth is having a 10th Anniversary sale Feb 7th-15th. He told me Rotel would be on sale ;)

Guy Usher

Supporting Actor
Hillcrest is not known for deals, they quote msrp at the drop of a hat and they will tell you quick to take it or leave it. Thats why I was blown away with my deal. Also if you are a regular customer and they think they have all your buisness they will work with you, I know of reg customers that buy at a discount. But if you are a price shopper they dont want you in the store period.
They are a fixture in Dallas must have started in the 50s or something, you wouldnt think it but they have a large customer base.

george king

Supporting Actor
Patrick,

If you buy from Marvins, this would be the time to do it, because they NEVER budge from MSRP on Rotel gear. Their sale is likely to be 10 or 15% off list. You may want to contact the Home Theater Store on I-20 in Arlington,. They carry Rotel and are having a sale.

If you go the Marvin's route, give me a call, and see me in the Psychology Dept. at TCU (about a mile away) and I'll take you to lunch (if it is during the week)

Patrick TX

Stunt Coordinator
I NEED to have my head checked, according to my Wife!
Do you know what kind of special the HTS is running?
I'm TRYING to get the most bang out of my bucks, and the HTS I talked to told me straight MSRP. Call me a cheapskate, but I don't & WON'T pay retail for anything other than SVS. The markup on most of this stuff is crazy, especially speakers. I have a relative that's been at Tweeter / Home Entertainment for damn near 20 years, & have access to the cost of this stuff, UNREAL! HTS wouldn't budge on my B&W CDM 9NT / CDM CNT combo. Well, Bjorns in San Antonio did. To the tune of 25% off! I also looked at a Mitsubishi 55" Platinum HDTV at HTS, same deal. $200 off. Back to Bjorns, new TV at $2,400 from $3,100. SCORE. One would think that the HTS could deal a little more, considering they have so many locations. Not been my case. I will give them a call on Monday. I'll give you a holler next time I'm in DFW as well, thank for the offer.
:emoji_thumbsup:

george king

Supporting Actor
Patrick,

Don't worry I'm not that type of psychologist (I am the departments better living through chemistry guy). I have no idea as to the specifics of the sale except the papers lately have had a lot of 10-15% off coupons for a variety of different items. Rotel was not specifically mentioned, but it looked like everything was on sale. All of the local CE stores took a beating around here (and probably nationally). These days the standard is 2 years no interest financing even at some of the local botique shops.

Next time you are in town during the week, do give me a call, I like meeting fellow HTF people.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks