What's new

Roommate Just Moved out. (1 Viewer)

Mark Sherman

Supporting Actor
Hello All.

Well after living in my place for almost a year my roommate moved out. This was the 5th roommate I have had in 5 years. When They first move in they are on time with the rent they clean up then BOOM. A month later they are total fucking SLOBS. I guess I was brought up differnt from these guys.

Here are some of the things that my roommates have a slight fear of.

Vacuums,Dishwashers, Cleaning products, lightswitches when they are on), dirty counter tops ( which they created) full toilet paper rolls in the closet.

The list goes on and on. So I have decided not to get another roommet to save my sanity,

Does any one else have this problem. A roommate that does nothing to help out and makes all the mess?

Nathan*W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Nathan
Yeah, I once had this roomate that was sooo anal about cleaning, and the lights being turned off, washing dishes and vacuuming...oh, wait - you're THAT Mark?!

;) :D

Stefan A

Second Unit
I had a couple slob roommates over the years. It's like they think that since you live there, they are just there to rent their room. I interviewed potential roomates beforehand and told them that it was an equal commitment. It's not like I own the apartment, I just lived here before you. Make it clear, that the space is as much their space as it is yours. In the end though, if they haven't been brought up with a sense of organization and responsibility, it will be hard to change them. Advertise that you are looking for a "professional" minded person.

Unless you can convince a friend to be your roommate - because it is easier to tell them when they mess up - it's probably best to live on your own.

Stefan

Mark Sherman

Supporting Actor
Stefan

Every roommate I have had has been a friend of mine and except for one person they were all slobs. I would always ask them when they move in to help out with stuff. I always get "SURE no problem. Then when I confront them with it and ask them to help out they always freak out.

A bunch of Children whos MOMMY always Cleaned Up after them.

Nathan thats funny, I might be a little Anal about the way My house Looks and it IS my house I own it. I just dont want it to turn into a FUCKING PIG PEN.

Stefan A

Second Unit
That's too bad. They just were not raised with responsibility. Like my wife. I'm the clean one. She just never had to clean growing up.

Stefan

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
I used to have that problem until I decided to live ONLY with women. I find them to be cleaner, and more responsible. Plus the "fringe benefits" you can occasionally get;) But I advice not to go that route...it can get awfully messy.

Mark Sherman

Supporting Actor
I was never Allowed to leave the house until my room was clean.

My roomates could give a shit. Its great when I visit the new places they get when they move out. Feakin Slob Central.

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member
When my roommate moved out, I adjusted my budget so I could afford the entire rent (by being more selective with DVDs I buy) and turned the extra bedroom into a dedicated home theater. :D

Mark Sherman

Supporting Actor
I might just use it as my office/gym/guestroom. Not Sure yet though. I did Vacuum the ol' room last night the amount of crap that was in the canister when I was done was disgusting.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I've not had a roommate/housemate for several years now. Sometimes I think it would be fun, but only if he were as good as my last one. We had actually lived a year in the dorms together so we knew we'd get along. He lived with me in my house for six months before he got hitched.

The place before there were usually four of us living there, the fourth person usually being the most unreliable and incompatible with the rest of us. One guy was really a slob and his room really smelled funky most of the time, so much so that he had to close the door to keep the smell contained. That smell was actually worse than the one coming from Roommate #3's exotic pet business he was running out of the house.

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
I think 95% of the people out there are slobs. All 5 years in college I lived with roomates that never cleaned, not single one of them. We got in a lot of fights about it. I've seen it all. I actually had one guy not clean his own bathroom for 12 months. I'm not sure how he did not get some disease from the green film all over the shower and floors.

Needless to say the minute I graduated and got a job I got rid of all roomates. People still ask to live with me but I just tell them I don't have roomates anymore. The savings would be nice but not worth it.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
i guess i've been lucky. all my roomies i met while living in the dorms, so we were already friends. plus they were all pretty neat, so we never had that problem.

when my biggest circle of friends all moved in together (three guys, three girls) the girls made it clear that they were hiring a maid service and splitting the bill with all of us. we all thought that was a great idea and between so many of us our individual cost was next to nothing. if you have to get another roomie, you may want to consider that option.

StephenA

Screenwriter
I'm kinda messy, but on keep it in my room, though it's a weird kind of organized messy. I do go through a phase every once in a while and clean the whole room. Everywhere else I keep real clean.

It was a pain in the ass when my cousin lived here. He was a total slob. He'd leave tissues, empty beer and hard liquor bottles, dishes, blankets, clothes, and other stuff all over the place. When my mom or I would tell him to pick it up, he'd get mad and make up all kinds of excuses. It was also gross when he'd lounge around on the weekends because he'd make these weird food combinations that smelled disgusting and would fart so much in the living room that no one wanted to go in there when he was there. He'd get mad when people would tell him to stop farting in there so much. After a while the living room started to smell like farts, beer, old food, sweat and cigarette smoke all mixed together. He was never careful with my DVDs either, especially when he was drunk. I'd tell him to leave them alone, but he wouldn't. I'd always find them strewn about without their cases. In the bathroom he'd leave water all over the floor and he used a shaving cream that smelled like sulfur and rotten meat, so everyone would gag when going in after him. He never replaced the toilet paper or tissues either when he used them up. He finally left after being here about 2 years.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I'm not a particularly neat person (clutter's my problem, not filth) and my last roommate is also a cluttery person too, so it's worked well.

But I'm bummed, as he's moving out on Tuesday. We've been roomming for six years, finishing grad school together. He's been a colleague, a good friend, and a great roommate. Just last night, we had pizza, played a final game of StarCraft, saw Spidey 2, and topped it off with our usual post-movie analysis.

I'm thinking of buying a house and wondering how to get a good new roommate now that I'm a working stiff.

Kami

Screenwriter
5 in 5 years? Maybe your standards are too high and you SHOULD be living by yourself. No offense, I mean it in the best way possible. Some people just aren't meant to live with others and are happier by themselves.

Scott Bourden

Second Unit
My girlfriend is messy as well, leaving towels on the floor, dishs around, etc etc etc.

Every now and then I tell her she is a slob, and she gets into a huff, scrubs the whole place, and then acts angry for a day.

It soon passes, and so does her initiave to clean... So now, whenever the place needs a cleaning, I just tell her she is a big slob... It's worth the consequences for a clean apartment :b

Mark Sherman

Supporting Actor

What Cleaning up after yourself? and doing things that any normal 26 year old is capible of doing.

Vacuuming, washing dishes, tuning off lights. Yeah you're right I guess my statards are too HIGH. WTF:angry:

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
A tip that might work:

When interviewing potential roomates to share a place with you, find out what kind of schedule they're on. You could then suggest between X and X on X could be designated cleaning times where the bathrooms could be cleaned by both of you and the floors could be vacuumed. Outside of those times, you expect to have the dishes placed in the dishwasher for washing, etc.

Seems like a few simple rules to live by.

Personally, I hate cleaning. However, once I get started, I'm able to connect my mind to the task and it isn't quite so bad.

Mike Graham

Supporting Actor
It does not matter what form of English is used or how you say it -- some people just don't get it. With my room mate of the past two years, the garbage could literally be overflowing and he would never take the hint to replace it unless I made a big deal about it. After spending 5 mintues explaining where the extra garbage bags are, he still never really took the hint. Don't get me wrong, he was a good guy, one of my best friends, but it was clear to see after two years we couldn't live together anymore. I'm not much of a drinker (the occasional beer here and there is more then enough), but he just wanted to get completely fall down drunk 1, 2 times a week, leaving the room in even worse shape. Some people just can't live together, its that simple.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks