What's new

time for an upgrade.....sort of (1 Viewer)

mustangwally

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
wally
about five years ago i purchase a sanyo plv-z5 for a home theater that I was building in my roommate's house. i had just moved in, and was bringing it along from the last place it was set up. Now I have a new home and am looking to replace the unit. It works flawlessly and i love it, but I want to leave it behind for him to enjoy, (plus gives me the excuse to buy something new!) I have not been keeping up with what is out there because I didnt have a need to. I watch mostly movies, the room with have good light control and i am thinking about going with about a 150" screen. 720p is ok, 1080p is a bonus, 3D not a huge thing for me.
any and all suggestions are welcome, my budget is around 2k for the projector.
TIA!

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
Do you want to stick with LCD? You are going to need a VERY bright projector for that screen size. Even then, you may have to run the bulb in high power mode, which will be louder, and cut the bulb life WAY DOWN. In order to find one that may work, we need your throw distance also.

mustangwally

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
wally
i am not oppose to changing to a different style, i have a throw distance of about 16ft, which is about what i have with the current setup, and with the light control the picture is great. i like the Panny PT-AR100U for the price, and have seen it in action and was impressed.
thoughts?

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
I haven't seen the AR100U, but it's gotten excellent reviews. With your throw and screen size, it will give you 16 foot lamberts(This is from the Calculator Pro at Projectorcentral). When the bulb dims though, you may have to switch the bulb to high power mode.

mustangwally

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
wally
I went ahead and picked up on at the local electronics store, they priced beat an online offer so I think i ended up getting a pretty good deal. Will be awaiting the projector mount that should be showing up next week,

mustangwally

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
wally
I unpacked it last night and placed in on my end table by the couch for a quick test run, cables running everywhere! (LOL, no wife no kids no pets so should be good)
Out of the box, set to cinema i was pretty impressed with the PQ, and most of the levels, although it seems to be a little warm, and the colors were just a touch out, but for an out of the box setting, not too shabby, I will defintiely run a calibration disc through once the unit is hanging in its final position. I have a fun event planned as I as I was unpacking all my stuff that i had in storage at my paents place and came across my old gaming system, an Intellivision!, will see if it works and how it looks on my big screen!:P

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Originally Posted by mustangwally /t/322217/time-for-an-upgrade-sort-of#post_3951478
as I was unpacking all my stuff that i had in storage at my paents place and came across my old gaming system, an Intellivision!, will see if it works and how it looks on my big screen!

We had an Intellivision back in the day - as I recall, most of the plastic inserts for the controllers got mangled pretty good (especially for the Baseball game, IIRC) but after a while, you would memorize which buttons did what.

I'm pretty sure it only has RF out, so you'll need a converter

I can imagine it will be REALLY fun to reminisce with that system, but brace yourself for some pretty awful graphics... even on a nice new projector, I believe the game system's graphic "resolution" was about 240x192. - better than the Atari 2600, but not much to speak of, really.

Have fun!

mustangwally

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
wally
i was pretty good at keeping the overlays in good shape, so i should be fine, i am thinking of just running it through an old VCR that i have kicking around.
Also got a bunch of RCA video disc and three players, and a collection of laserdiscs. man my mom never throws out anything!:rolleyes:

mustangwally

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
wally
UPDATE:
since work has been keeping me so busy and i really havent had time to set up the unit, but i did sneak in a 200" screen on the wall and it pretty much covers the whole wall. WOW, since i am only watching the tv at night (and it gets dark around here by 5pm) light control isnt an issue at all.
just need to 'borrow' my PS3 back from the GF so i can hook it up and play some driving games!
So far the Panasonic has been a great unit and has impressed me(and everyone else that has watched it)
Now to move on to the receiver.............:P

mustangwally

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
wally
Jim Mcc said:
Nice. You're using a 200" diagonal screen? The bulb must be set to high power mode, correct?
i have got it turned down to eco mode for when i have total darkness and it is pretty good. I havent had time to calibrate it yet but i know it will make a huge difference and i will probably turn it up to high power.
just need some time off work (working 7 days a week currently)

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
mustangwally said:
i have got it turned down to eco mode for when i have total darkness and it is pretty good. I havent had time to calibrate it yet but i know it will make a huge difference and i will probably turn it up to high power.
just need some time off work (working 7 days a week currently)
It only takes about 30 minutes. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks