What's new

Ron - How Long Till You Review LOTR? (1 Viewer)

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I had quite a few "colorful" things to say about them the day I got the email about no screeners.
Not sure I totally understand the animosity. It's their product, and they can do with it what they choose. Yes, this is an unusual case for them, but I'm sure they've considered it and determined it was in their best interests to hold back on reviews. Of course, I'd like to have my copy in advance, but it's not a big deal to me. Post-street screeners aren't that unusual; until recently, Disney never sent out anything early, so it's not like the late "Rings" is all that exceptional an occurrance...

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Yes, this is an unusual case for them, but I'm sure they've considered it and determined it was in their best interests to hold back on reviews.
I don't think the complaints are about holding back on the reviews...the complaints are about New Line not treating websites like the HTF and IGN the same as they treat "print media" ... as Ron said, a magazine already has a review out.

Nick Sievers

Senior HTF Member
So this is different than the 10 minutes of TTT footage that was tacked onto the end of Fellowship earlier this year?
Brain,
The 'footage' earlier this year was only about 3.5mins long, it was nearly the same as the Official Teaser the obvious excpetion being the length.

Jeremy Conrad

Supporting Actor
I don't think the complaints are about holding back on the reviews...the complaints are about New Line not treating websites like the HTF and IGN the same as they treat "print media" ... as Ron said, a magazine already has a review out.
Plus, sites such as TheOneRing.Net and Ain't It Cool News have disc one of the set already.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Of course they don't treat them the same way. If they send me a DVD, I can get my review out to the public within a few hours. Magazines require WEEKS to do the same. I stand by my statement - New Line obviously have thought about this and decided it's in their best interest to delay Internet reviews. I don't think they did this capriciously, and I really don't understand why some see it as such a big deal...

Joshua Moran

Supporting Actor
Personally I would see this as Director related. Since New Line has not done something like this before. But we will see as the future progresses. ;)

BooneG

Stunt Coordinator
I work at Hollywood video and we already got our copies of Lord of the Rings: FotR in. We have them for rent and purchase. But the thing is that the corporation told us that we can not buy them or rent them (we can do either early) until next week. This sucks because everytime I go to work I have to look at them sitting on the counter. I can't tell how bad I want one. But as soon as I get my hands on one I will provide the best review I can.

George See

Second Unit
I'm actually happy gives Ron more time to review movies I don't already plan on buying. I think what new line is worried about is high quality bootlegs making the rounds on the file sharing networks, but really it's going to happen anyway And if you can't trust the HTF who can you trust?

Thane

Stunt Coordinator
I got my copy yesterday (!) Only had time to watch the first 2 hrs., 18 min. so I have an hour left, plus the extras on the second disc. I don't think that based on what I've seen anyone is going to be disappointed! I have an EX capable sound system, and the sound is absolutely awesome! The bass is especially aggressive, and the back center speaker is too at times. I have 1440 DVD's and I guess because of that it takes something quite special to catch my attention. Believe me...this one was catching my attention frequently!! I saw the movie only once in a theater, and quite frankly I wasn't that impressed. At home, it seems like a whole new movie and I have thoroughly enjoyed it so far.

LukeB

Senior HTF Member
The theatrical cut is under 3 hours. So, you have less than an hour to go! :)

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Thane - what's your thoughts on the picture quality?

Without mentioning names was your copy bought from a brick & mortar or online location?

Thane

Stunt Coordinator
It came from an online etailer. I watched it on my 50 Mits, but my model is not 16:9. I thought it looked great, but frankly I don't seem to see a lot of the things on other DVD's that other people object to (and that's why I purposely didn't mention picture quality). I notice grain & shimmering, but wouldn't know edge enhancement if it bit me in the face! Personally I like it this way because it allows me to enjoy the movies! :) :) As I said, it looks great, IMHO, and I really enjoyed the cinematography (Oscar-winning!)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
C'mon, really...how many people are going to base their decision on whether or not to buy this DVD on anyone's web review? You know it's gonna be excellent because it is New Line/Warner Bros' cash cow. You know what supplements are included from many previous posts. If you liked this film in the theater you are going to buy the DVD.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks