What's new

Rod Steiger passed away at the age of 78. (1 Viewer)

Kenneth Cummings

Supporting Actor
Rod Steiger, best know for his role in "On the Waterfront" and "Heat of the Night" has passed away in a hospitial in California. I will post more about this when I get a new source for you to read.

It still sad that he died. I never got to know much of his work, but maybe it time to catch up with the man who gone now.

Kenneth Cummings

Supporting Actor
Thank you, now that makes a bit more sense, as it just was coming off the wire, so few new sites have gotten word of his death yet.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
More sad news. Wonderful actor.
My favorite Rod Steiger roles:
On The Waterfront
In the Heat of the Night
Duck You Sucker!
Al Capone
Other great supporting roles:
Jubal
Doctor Zhivago
Another legend gone. :frowning:

Kristian

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kristian
*sigh* This has been a rough few weeks. May he rest in peace. :frowning:

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I first saw Rod Steiger when I was young in a little known film Across the Bridge (1957). I was immediately impressed by Steiger in which he gave a typical strong portrayal of a businessman on the run. We'll miss his dynamic acting.

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
Will be sadly missed, and need I be the first to mention The Pawnbroker , one of the best performances I have ever seen by one actor

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
If you get a chance, catch the rerun of Dinner For Five on IFC with him, Vince Vaughan, Sarah Silverman, Kevin Pollack, and John Faverau. He was a great story teller.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Damn, this has been a rough week with another of my favorite Hollywood personalities passing away. Rod Steiger was a great actor and below is just some of the films he was in over the years.
  • On the Waterfront
  • Oklahoma
  • The Big Knife
  • Jubal
  • The Harder They Fall
  • Back From Eternity
  • Cry Terror
  • Al Capone
  • Seven Thieves
  • Convicts 4
  • 13 West Street
  • The Longest Day
  • The Sergeant
  • The Pawnbroker
  • Doctor Zhivago
  • In the Heat of the Night
  • No Way to Treat a Lady
  • The Illustrated Man
  • Waterloo
  • The Amityville Horror
  • Lion of the Desert
  • Cattle Annie and Little Britches
  • The January Man
His performance in "The Pawnbroker" was one of the greatest ever captured on film!
Crawdaddy

Jodee

Screenwriter
Wow, that's sad. I just saw him on that Dinner For Five episode not too long ago and he seemed to be in pretty good health.

My dad is 77 so this makes me worried.

SpenceJT

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeff Spencer
I had the wonderful fortune of meeting the man while vacationing at Las Vegas in March of 2001. He was sitting quietly by himself playing the slots at the Belaggio.

Respecting his privacy, I quietly approached him and said "excuse me sir, but has anyone told you that you bear a striking resemblance to the actor Rod Steiger?"

He gave me wink and a smile and offered up a firm handshake.

I told him that I was a fan of his work, he thanked me, and I left him to continue his run at the slots.

So far, it's been my only brush with greatness and to this day still one of the greatest thrills in my short 40 years on this earth.

Thank you Mr. Steiger, we'll miss you!

Spence

Deepak Shenoy

Supporting Actor
I loved his work in On the Waterfront (which happens to be one of my favorite films of all time) and In the Heat of the Night (for which he won an Oscar). I will be picking up the No Way to Treat a Lady DVD in September. RIP Mr. Steiger.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Can't believe this, Frankenheimer a couple of days ago, now Rod Steiger, terrible news, Steiger won an Oscar for In the Heat of the Night, although I thought Sidney Poitier should have won an Oscar as well for that film, great film, great actors, Steiger was also great in The Pawnbroker, On The Waterfront, Doctor Zhivago, many others, rest in peace Rod.:frowning:

Andrew_Sch

Senior HTF Member
I'll be watching the taxi-cab scene in Waterfront tonight in tribute. Celebrity deaths really do come in threes: first we lose Jack Buck, Daryl Kile and Ted Williams from the baseball sector, then Frankenheimer, Rosemary Clooney and Steiger in entertainment.

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
To those who have the power, please release these Rod Steiger films on DVD.

The Loved One
The Pawnbroker
Duck You Sucker
Lolly Madonna XXX
Cattle Annie and Little Britches
The Big Knife

(Andrew, you forgot John Entwhistle).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khuranatech
Recent bookmarks