What's new

Robert Blake has passed away at 89 (1 Viewer)

JoeStemme

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joseph
RIP ROBERT BLAKE.
He certainly had a complicated life and he probably got away with one, but, what a ride he had.
Originally a Little Rascal in the Our Gang series (as Mickey Gubitosi - his birth name) he kept acting as a child actor including a bit role in the classic TREASURE OF THE SIERRA MADRE.
Like a lot of child actors he had a hard time adjusting to being an adult. Blake took classes with the great Jeff Corey (who I had the pleasure of working with twice). His breakout was as a criminal in Richard Brooks' classic IN COLD BLOOD.
TV called with his definitive role as Baretta, and later, Hell Town. His last major role was in David Lynch's LOST HIGHWAY - a perfectly creepy character.
And, then.....we all know the story.
At his best, Blake was a solid actor. Let's leave it at that for today.

Attachments

• roberto.jpg
    roberto.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 30

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Unforgettable in those 2 titles: In Cold Blood, and Electra Glide in Blue.
He was very cute as Mickey Gubitosi.
He's finally at peace.

Kevin Antonio (Kev)

Second Unit
Real Name
Kevin Taffe
Legend. One of the best of his class of actors. He may have been short in stature, but his talent made up for it.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
He played the boy who sold Dobbs the lottery ticket in Treasure Of The Sierra Madre.

RBailey

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Hall
Whenever Blake appeared on the Tonight Show with Johnny Carson, it was must-see TV.

I remember one night Carson surprised Blake with clips from a couple of the Red Ryder westerns. Robert (then "Bobby Blake") played Ryder's Indian sidekick Little Beaver in over 20 of the films. After the clips, Blake was very angry and I thought he was going to walk off the show.

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
Whenever Blake appeared on the Tonight Show with Johnny Carson, it was must-see TV.

I remember one night Carson surprised Blake with clips from a couple of the Red Ryder westerns. Robert (then "Bobby Blake") played Ryder's Indian sidekick Little Beaver in over 20 of the films. After the clips, Blake was very angry and I thought he was going to walk off the show.

Now I have to see those Red Ryder clips.
==jthree

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Another iconic talent from my generation is gone. I hope this thread doesn't turn into a mock trial for this great talent as none are without sin and flaws.

R.I.P.
You Sir are true gentleman! May he RIP - a complicated soul that outlived many other child stars -----GOD bless him and keep him in peace

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
Also think Blake was in the Richard Boone anthology series. Had some unique stars in that program.
--jthree

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Not making light but I swear so many times when I think of a star they die in a few days. I happens so much!
Less than a week ago I bought the whole Columbo series again because some of my discs from the single releases I've had for years went shiny side UP. And it got me thinking.. I need to stop thinking... what shows like do I not have? lol Several from VEI like Canon and Barney Jones. I even went and checked those out for prices. And also...wait for iiiitttt! Baretta! I went to see if it had finally got a full series dvd set. Somebody stop me before I kill again!

(seriously, I wish I had kept up with all the times this has happened... some of the coincidences don't involve deaths but they are truly nuts.... recently I watched the classic Sounder. Then on the same day the first parts of Roots and there are the same actors. I remember thinking the older boy from Sounder was in it but I was wrong. Nothing amazing there. But out of the blue I was craving Innerspace, the Dennis Quaid/Martin Short movie, on the same day. And who was in that? That damn kid from Sounder!!!! what are the chances?!! )

Huge fan of Blake back before I even knew he was a Rascal. Baretta came on late night with some of those other shows like Columbo, Night Stalker (scared the crap out of me that one!) and all those others. Also terrific with a fantastic theme song that belongs on that other thread currently active about theme songs. I also had no idea that was Sammy Davis Jr until years later. I remember renting Electra Glide on VHS. Really need to see that one again after many many years. Luckily I own the Capote/In Cold Blood double dvd set.

borisfw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
He had a great career. Child star. Movies,TV and his appearances on Johnny Carson and others talk shows. Always entertaining. R.I.P.
ps, I still crack up every time i see that tonight show clip with Blake and Orson Welles. Blake makes a crack about Orson's weight and Welles shoots back that at least he loose the weight but Blake will always be ugly. :laugh:.Gets me every time.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
He had a great career. Child star. Movies,TV and his appearances on Johnny Carson and others talk shows. Always entertaining. R.I.P.
ps, I still crack up every time i see that tonight show clip with Blake and Orson Welles. Blake makes a crack about Orson's weight and Welles shoots back that at least he loose the weight but Blake will always be ugly. :laugh:.Gets me every time.
This one is gold and they are all gone -- sad times Bet they are all together today cracking jokes

Robert Saccone

Premium
There was a TV movie I recall where Blake played Jimmy Hoffa, called something like Hoffa vs Kennedy. My recollection is that Blake did a great job as Hoffa. Can’t recall who played Robert Kennedy.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks