What's new

Rocky! (1 Viewer)

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
I picked up Rocky for the Xbox last night and ended up getting sucked into it for a few hours. No Survivor on the soundtrack! That's just wrong for a Rocky game. But that's actually the only major gripe I have about it so far as just about everything else is very well done. The graphics are nice, character models seem a bit misproportioned in that they all seem to have big heads but you get over that pretty quick. I love that the crowds are fully animated. It just makes the backgrounds of the game that much richer. And the facial damage is great. If the match goes the right way, by the end you'll see the boxers' faces get totally distorted under all the gore, just like in the movies, and the blood stains the mat all the way through the match. Animation's pretty nice, gets kind of stiff in a couple of places but nothing that throws you out of the game.
The fighting system is among the best I've ever played in a boxing game (admittedly, I haven't played a boxing game since Ready to Rumble :)). It's obviously not a sim - there's no clinching, for instance - but it's fast paced while also encouraging the player to think about how he approaches the match. You can't just go in button-mashing because you'll throw away your stamina and lose all your punching power. Sometimes it might be a good idea to slug away but there are plenty of times where you'll be advised to back off, recover from a bad stretch, and stick and move (but if you play keepaway too long, the seedier crowds will be disgusted and start hurling garbage into the ring). It really does reward you for fighting smart, and the controls are pretty easy to get the hang of as the combos are more intuitive than your average fighting game, IMO. You basically have left/right body and head punches, and the direction you push in, along with the right trigger, allows you to create new punches like uppercuts. Left trigger is block/dodge, and by tapping right trigger and the appropriate punch button you can unleash a "super punch" that can do very heavy damage if you connect. If you don't, you're wide open for punishment and lose a ton of stamina anyway. Simple. This is all fun enough in single player, but two players will have a ball going at each other.
I also found the training modes amusing. You can auto-train to just build up your stats 5 points, or you can do the training yourself and get from 1-10 points depending on well you do. I totally suck at all of them except the strength exercise, although hitting the slab of meat during the Rocky I portion of the game is pretty fun anyway.
Sound effects are straight out of the movies, with really exaggerated punching noises and lots of grunts from the boxers. I love that stuff. The crowd sounds nice although it's kind of weird when you get to the larger arenas and the thousands of fans in attendance still sound like the same 4-5 guys from the pool hall chanting your name.
I'm stopping now so hopefully I haven't been too sketchy. One of those very good games that will probably get a bit lost among all the more high profile releases these days :)

Glenn

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Andy,

Thanks for your review. Rocky might be a good game for me. My last boxing game was Ready To Rumble as well.

Is this game setup for play on Xbox Live? That could be great!

Glenn

Andre F

Screenwriter
Andy,
Thanks for the review. I will be picking this one, or should I say Santa will bringing this one my way in a bit. I can't wait and I've played just about every boxing on all the next gen consoles..

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
To answer Glenn's question, there's no online aspect to the game.
Nice little touch I noticed is that Apollo has at least three nicknames :) OTOH, Rocky is sometimes introduced as a southpaw, but as near as I can tell (not a boxing expert) he's using a right-handed stance in the game. Considering how close so many of the other details are it seems like an odd mistake.

Mike Pattee

Second Unit
I believe he's supposed to be a southpaw in the movies. I believe one of the IGN editors commented on this a while back that he was mis represented in teh animations of the game.

Andre F

Screenwriter
I believe he's supposed to be a southpaw in the movies
Very true. The Rocky story was actually inspired by the Chuck Wepner vs Ali fight in which Wepner got whipped but gave a Ali a hard time. Of course it's much more dramatic in the movie that in real life. Anyway, that would a big mistake in my opinion if Rocky fought in a conventional stance in the game...

Matt Pasant

Second Unit
Nitpickings.....
  1. Rocky was a Southpaw, however changed his fighting style for Superfight II
  2. Rockys trucks are white with red stripes when fighting Spider Rico (why not the drab maroon)
  3. They recreated the venue for Philly for Superfight I but not II, and the ring what about the ring at Madison Square Garden which was outlined with stars[/list=1]
    I could probably go on, but overall its has amazing detail to the films. I mean Cuff and Link even make an appearence.
    Anyone had any success at training? I flat out suck.
    -- Matt

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
I can get a 10 on the strength training, and I once managed an 8 on the speedbag, but I'm pretty sorry at everything else. The jumprope completely baffles me. Is there a way to train at the training modes? :)

Mike Pattee

Second Unit
I rented this today and the training modes are perplexing at best. I can get 10's all day on the power. and 10's on determination which is the situp one but after I do it a few times my hands get really tired. the speed bag i've never been able to get more than 1. The jumping rope is the same way.

One way you can practice them is to win a fight. save it. do your two practices doesn't matter one which. just whatever you want to practice practicing. and then after that exit to main menu. click on movie mode and load the saved game. voila 2 practices again. If anyone could help me on the speed bag or jump rope it would be greatly appreciated. Also some basic moves to do would help. I can't seem to get the combos off in the game. I feel like I'm always on the defensive.

I have powered my way through to rocky V, but I can't beat the second guy. He appears to have high 90's on all his stats and he just goes into combos and beats the crap out of me. Also when you get the dazed thing on them which move are you supposed to do to get the big damage.

Why don't rental places give you the manuals or at least a copy of said manual.

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
Also when you get the dazed thing on them which move are you supposed to do to get the big damage.
You can try a super punch by tapping the right trigger plus one of the punch buttons. If you time it right the guy will throw a punch so hard that there will be a blur effect on the punch. Each fighter has two super punches and you just have to experiment a little to find out what they are.

Regarding combos, timing is very important, as is simply getting the punches to go through. You can break a combo by blocking or dodging. I'm still learning but I've found that the sparring mode is a big help as you can actually access a move list and then practice pulling those off on a partner who you can set to just stand there, block, or fight back.

Nick Sievers

Senior HTF Member
I'm really on the fence with this one. IGN gave it a nice 8.7 but then I popped on over to Gamespot and they pretty much slammed it (no pun intended) with a mediocre 5.5. Both were XBox versions which was the console I want this for.

It came out today over here and I didn't know it actually came with the first Rocky film on DVD quite an inticing little deal. After a few days of playing this guys how does the game hold up? I'm looking for a fun boxing title so I can kick the shit out of my friends. Is this the one to get?

Eric C. Mylonas

Stunt Coordinator
Does it support custom soundtracks?
I need the 'Eye of the Tiger' while I'm busting ass ;)
And mebbe some Burning Heart, Heart's on Fire and No Easy Way Out for good measure.
Child of the Eighties (and proud of it!),
Eric

CaptDS9E

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joey
I picked up Rocky because im a huge Rocky fan and i was not dissapointed with this game. I saw the gamespot review and i dont know what this guy was thinking. Forget his review. Pick this game up. You will have fun

capt

Mike Pattee

Second Unit
I rented it and had fun up til about half way through rocky V. At this point some no name computer opponent decided he was going to smoke me. I've tried multiple times but he just beats the crap out of me no matter what I try. I find some of the trainings to be annoying. Speed and endurance. Seems like the difficulty between the different training things is to varried. Strength is very very easy. determination is easy, movement is in between. I've never been able to get more than 1 point from the speed bag. I've managed 2 from the jump rope. I'm already tired of the button mashing for training and getting up when knocked down. I would say if you have someone to play against its a great game but if you plan on mostly playing the computer I think it wears thin. I'd rent it first. I'm glad I did.

John Kilroy

Stunt Coordinator
I'm really enjoying this game. It feels more like boxing to me than other boxing games, which feel more like "fighters" with limited moves. This game forces me to think about combos, and deal strategically with each fighter's strengths and weaknesses. I also like the AI. I have come to the end of quite a few fights in which I was up on points, and the opponent seems to go for the knockout, just as one would in real life with no other options available. I have ended quite a few fights "rope a doping," knowing that I was up on points and just had to survive. It's not glorious or action-packed, but it is the reality of real life boxing.

As fa as the "Rocky" angle, has anyone noticed that when Rocky takes a hook or uppercut to the body, he leans to one side and protects exactly like he does in the movies? I had such deja vu when I saw that animation. Little things like that really make the game.

I read a review that said that this game immersed you in the Rocky movies, and from that I inferred a lot of cut scenes. I wish there were more. There are so many classic scenes from the movies to be recreated.

My big disapointment in this game is the scoring system. Except in the case of a knockdown (which is an automatic 10-8) I think that it gives points solely on the number of punches connected, regardles of type. You can take advantage of this by throwing jabs, which are quicker and easier, and rack points fast.

If you are getting beat in a fight in Movie Mode, stay to the outside and jab at the body. I find I can get 4 body jabs in before the opponent can counter. An acknowledgement of Rocky's body-busting punches in the movies? Perhaps. In any case, get your four body jabs in, and then backup and cover. Repeat. Due to the simplicity of the scoring, you will win many rounds 10-9. You can also parlay this into a combo in a couple of ways. First, on some of the slower fighters, you can follow up the jabs with hooks to the body, which will deal some damage to your opponent. Then move the hooks up to the face. Second, when the opponent gets wise to your constant body jabs, he will protect his body when he comes in. When he starts to do this, jab to the head, and follow up with hooks. When he gets "dizzy," land the uppercut. Note that this uppercut is easy to land, even for a few seconds after the dizziness wears off. You will need to use these combos, because you will take the occasional beatdown with this tactic, and you need to dish out to avoid an endurance deficit and possible knockout in the later rounds.

Great game! It should be clear that I have spent way too much time on it.

Mitty

Supporting Actor
I saw the gamespot review and i dont know what this guy was thinking. Forget his review.
I was wondering about that. Their review is a good 3 points lower than everyone elses, most notably IGN who gives it an 8.3. Puzzling.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
royalserena
Recent bookmarks