What's new

Rock Star: Supernova (1 Viewer)

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
> A cheeseball band of old guys wants a young looking singer to shore up that demographic: 12 year old girls

What do you consider old? I think all the band members are in their 40s. There are rock bands with much older people.

I wouldn't expect to see many preteen girls at their shows- well, maybe backstage, LOL.

Doug Miller

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Doug Miller
I'll pass on Marc's opinion of Audioslave... (They're no RATM)

I hope that the "spoiler" out there isn't right. Keep in mind, that spoiler was provided there wasn't anything that came up to really change their mind. Tommy isn't much of an actor, he looked pretty bummed to be sending Ryan home a few weeks back, and the reaction that he gave Jason when Toby was signing sure looked like approval.

Doug

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S

And Toby gives off that good-natured vibe where Tommy can literally grab his ass -- and Toby didn't miss a beat. Could you imagine Tommy doing that to Lukas? :D

Real Name
Sandra
Of course, I AM a Lukas fan, but still, I think his original is MORE "original" than the others, and LESS commercial. To me, that's a good thing. It's not like Supernova really needs commercial, when they already have NAMES. I mean, the rock stations are probably salivating to play their music, no matter what. IF they want colorless and NOT memorable, they SHOULD use one of the other guys, BUT if they want to get noticed, they NEED Lukas. STAR QUALITY all over the place, that's Lukas.

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
> I mean, the rock stations are probably salivating to play their music, no matter what.

I doubt it. They certainly aren't going to get much airplay from the names in the band. If one of them were the lead singer, maybe, but how many program directors are anxiously awaiting a track with Gilby's guitar stylings?

Real Name
Sandra
Oh come on, they kiss tommy lee's butt around here, they think he's some kinda rock god. But then, you might be right, cos I asked them if they were gonna play the new INXS last time and they said it wasn't their kinda music. WE only have one rock station in Motown. WRIF.

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
Actually the INXS song that was featured on Rock Star (Pretty Vegas) has gotten a lot of airplay.

But then INXS is a real band.

JimPeitersen

Second Unit
What is it about Lukas that people like? He cannot sing, and most of his attempts are actually hard to watch. Add that to the fact that he is very odd (not the good "rockstar" odd, just odd) and he has no stage presence, and dare I say - no feral/masculine vibe.

Dilana is simply out of her league.

Toby is interesting, although I don't know if he has the necessary vocal range - even for the pretend band.

Magni is technically very good, but lacks a little something. I think he could learn and be good enough for the one tour Supernova is going to make.

JP

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
:D

*looks at 3 boxes of salivated on CDs marked "for good will"*

Actually this isn't far from the truth. Stations get far more than they need, even so called "star acts" like this one. It needs to have real hit potential to get airplay. So far, I don't know....

I enjoyed the webisode. I think everybody is going to bring it out tonight. Should be a hell of a show.

TheStever

Auditioning
Real Name
Steve
I've watched both last years INXS and this years Supernova. Last year proved the Johnny Bravo syndrome, "the suit fits".

This year, I think the last part of Jim Peitersen's comment hit it on the head.

I don't see Supernova around for more than 1 tour, as I don't see any chemistry between TL, Gilby, and Jason anyway. I think their selection for singer, if not already made, will end up being the one who they feel they could make the most money with as a lead singer, by being able to draw people into the seats.

Come on, its all about stage presence, who can handle being on the road, who they would most enjoy partying with, who has the least amount of baggage, and who they could tolerate the longest. As far singing ability, It doesn't matter! especially with all the electronics available to make anyone sound like a great singer when they need to.

:eek:

AnthonyC

Senior HTF Member
I could imagine Toby's original getting a lot of airplay; it's a really catchy song.

I wish they'd had them do different originals tonight and not the same ones they all did last week.

Carl Miller

Screenwriter

My thoughts exactly.

I don't think Magni's original song is anything special (the riff is pretty good) but I see nothing better about Lukas' original song either...the slowed down quieter version I thought was pretty awful actually.

Writings on the wall for Magni though...I think he's done.

Toby gets my vote as the one who should win. If he was still there, Ryan would be my next choice. I think if you took Toby, Ryan and Magni and made a band out of them, and tossed in a decent drummer, they'd be better than SN.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I think Dilana would overpower the boys, so she's out.

They really seem to love Lukas, but I couldn't listen to even 2 songs in row from him (I skip the original song of his).

Toby is the perfect high energy frontman this band could use. His voice cuts, but his enthusiasm overcomes its lack of the lower registers.

Magni is also done given Tommy the Tool's remark.

I vote for Toby, but somehow it seems like Lukas is going to get the gig.

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
Toby: Yah yah yah yah yah yah blah blah yada yada. Evs. And I don't mean that in a good way. I suppose if I was sitting in some bar one night having a few drinks and Toby hit the stage for a few songs, it'd be fine and moderately entertaining. But I wouldn't buy his CD for $10 as I was leaving. I'll give him props for the most lively and entertaining version of his song (what's it called again?) of the three times he's done it.

Lukas: My prediction is that by this time tomorrow the Rock Star scorecard will be reading "Canada: 2, Everyone else: 0" I really don't understand why everyone here is so anti-Lukas--this kid is on fire. His set tonite was my favourite performance thus far in the contest. A gut-wrenching cover of "Fix You" that I found rather moving; a stripped down version of "Headspin" (which I kind of figured he'd do in a different style given his penchant for mixing things up--and kudos for that!). Lukas, you make my head spin, and I do mean that in a good way.

Dilana: Great set. If she wins, I won't be too upset. She was absolutely right about her arrangement of "Roxanne"....I don't know why the house band was crying such sour grapes. Great touch having the guys sing backup at the end. I also really enjoyed her original--not the most profound thing I've ever heard, but very catchy and she performed it wonderfully tonite.

Magni: Hm. Is this guy still here? Ah well. It's nice to think he'll be back in the bosom of his family soon, teaching his little one how to ride a tricycle.

Oh and....

Ryan: I've always dug this guy. I loved his performance tonite because it was so casual and free. He sang his song this time like he had nothing at all to lose, which of course he didn't. I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up selling more records than Supernova.

Dan Mc

Stunt Coordinator
Great show last night...Magni is by far my favorite, and judging by Tommy's comments, he isn't going to get stuck with those has beens. He has awesome chemistry with the house band, so will fit in great playing with those guys on the tour. Hopefully he'll get enough exposure to release his own english album.

Lucas was the best I've heard him all year last night, I like his voice ok on the slower stuff, but I wouldn't be able to listen to his growling for a whole concert. I think Toby would be the best in concert, but I'm pretty sure they're going to pick Lucas because of the image thing (he'll sell more records to the teeny-boppers out there who also hate there moms and think they've had a hard life)

Real Name
Sandra
Same old stuff from me, Lukas was the only one who really impressed me, and I was interested to find that he seems to be trying to get his lyrics across by articulating.

HAH! Teenagers are NOT the only ones who have parent problems! Think about all the OLD teenagers (like in their 30s, 40s, 50s) who are moving back "home" cos they're broke! I bet THEY can relate too.

I mean, damn, Lukas' performances give ME goosebumps! No one else does!

If he doesn't win THIS, it doesn't even matter. When his first CD comes out, I will buy a copy immediately.

Is there anyone else in this contest? I didn't notice them much last night. There's like a spotlight over LUKAS. Shining. The winner.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I've only watched the first 2 performers from last night, the other 2 in about an hour.

Toby was lazy (meaning: not very tight) on the first tune. He was a bit better on his original, which is a mightly catchy song. I think he can fine tune how he sings in a very short time (sure improved as this show's gone along). I enjoy the Toby/Magni antics on stage. It's like a real show. I've paid for much less than they provided.

Lukas was a little better than last time. Im still not diggin his pipes, but at least he opened them up a bit more on his set last night. His first song wasn't bad, but when he's understandable he still even more unsure than Toby with the melody. I didn't like the slowed down version of his original at all. A good thing is he was uneffected by the mic stand toppling over. A showman all the way. Like Toby, I think Lukas can improve over time. They got after him about the garbling many episodes ago but he continued to do it anyway. Much less last night. :emoji_thumbsup:

Also Ryan's return, I'm happy with the fact that he was sent home before. He's okay, but everybody else left is probably going to be better in the long run.

Looking forward to Magni and Dilanna. The comments here are interesting...

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Dilanna and Magni were the best last night IMO.

Although, I really think they should choose Dilanna or Toby.

I can't believe what a slamming they gave Magni. His song isn't bad at all. Dilanna's original is barely a damn song! What am I missing here? Are they getting stuck in details? Hell, it's just one ficking song! Same for Dilanna.

Anyway, this has been fun and I'm excited for whoever wins because I think they all have at least one exceptional aspect, whether voice, personality or stage presence. However, I got to honestly say I'll probably forget all about this before that tour is done. :p And if I had the chance to see them I'd probably spend up to $20 per ticket but no more. I wouldn't drive more than a few hours out of my way.

Well, tonight we'll know!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks