What's new

Rock Star: Supernova (1 Viewer)

IanDP

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ian
I'd like to make a prediction right now. Toby's solo album will outsell Supernova's album(or whatever they have to change their name to). Toby's album will sell like crazy on the strength of his single "Throw it away". In fact, Toby's "Throw It Away" is the top downloaded song from msn. So sorry, Tommy, but you didn't go with who the fans wanted because this is a business and fans are voting with their wallets.

Lukas sure sounded bad singing for them at the end. I couldn't believe it. He has no range, and his raspy, scratchy voice disappears among the guitars. What a sham, and a shame. I can't believe I watched this show all season.

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
Hard to believe Lukas won. He didn't seem to get the most votes and Jason Newsted just never seemed to be that big a fan of him.

~T

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
I'm afraid it's your math that is bad. Just because Lukas was in the bottom 3 at some point does not mean he could not have gotten the most votes overall. Further, Dilana being the one who was never in the bottom three does not mean that she got the most votes--it just means she was not in the bottom 3 at any time. Your math is as faulty as Howie Mandel's when he claims--once it's down to two cases--that the contestant now has a 50/50 chance of winning a million. But hey, if you ever want to play poker, I'm all in. :D

Now then...to all the Lukas-haters out there, I hope you are thoroughly enjoying your breakfast of sour grapes. :)

And finally, this outcome provides further evidence to what I've long suspected: The reason Canadians can't come play on most reality shows is purely because you are all afraid we will kick your a$$ into the next century.
htf_images_smilies_banana.gif

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
htf_images_smilies_dance.gif
Hee hee! Yaaay for Canadians. You guys rule! :emoji_thumbsup:

I was disappointed also that Dilana or Toby didn't get the gig. Well, Toby got a car and a lot of exposure. Hell, he has a minor hit already with what may be the best song of the show this season. Oh, oh, oh, oh-oh, oh!! Somehow I'm thinking Dilana got a damn good prize. Notice how that announcement picked her right up? Good deal! I'll bet her and Dave "did it" last night. ;)

I can certainly be happy for Lukas though. I think he's a cool dude with a voice that varied a bit (good and not so) from show to show. I'm hoping he'll settle on the one he used last night for the the tunes he did with Supernova (erm, hum...well, how about "The Wonder Whos" originally used by The Four Seasons or "Lukas and the Question Marks" a play on Question Mark and the Mysterians?). I liked the performances and don't have nearly the negative comments as others here. Hell, it's just music. Lets see if "Three Old Farts & a Troll" (their name, if they want it, royalty free :p ) can make some music!!!

todd stone

Screenwriter
SHAM! and what the hell with the survivor promo with Lukas singing, WAY TO RUIN IT, sigh.....

Anyway, Toby will be more successful then Snoozernova anyway.

PS.. this makes two scams in a row by Tommy. First the college show now this.

Aaron Reynolds

Screenwriter
Real Name
Aaron Reynolds
Okay, guys -- I wasn't happy with the outcome, even though Lukas is from my town -- but what's with the "sham" and "fake" and all that name-calling?

This was a contest in which a band decides who they want to front them -- unlike American Idol, the outcome is not determined by the voting (though voting has some influence). As far as I can see, no one forced Supernova to choose Lukas against their wills. So how is it a sham? So what if they made up their minds weeks ago? So what if they picked him from his audition tape? It was their choice -- they're the ones determining the outcome. I can't see how there could possibly have been any cheating.

If anything crushed Dilana's chances, it was her weakness writing songs. I think that probably the best thing Gilby can do for Dilana if he's serious about helping her is to hook her up with a great songwriter.

Real Name
Sandra
I truthfully do not believe the show was ever fixed. I think some of us just KNEW the best singer would win, the best entertainer, and that was Lukas, plain and simple.

Even constantly wearing black & white, he was more colorful than anyone else there. Even before he started making sure we heard his lyrics clearly, he was the best singer. Even before the show was half over, it was obvious that Lukas was the front runner.

Lukas is like a comination of Marlon Brando, Peter Lorre and Sal Mineo.

So congrats to HIM and congrats to Supernova for getting such a good singer! It was really fun posting here, thanks everyone, with love!

See ya in another thread..............

AnthonyC

Senior HTF Member
I don't think Lukas was the best singer by any means; his vocals were great when he listened to Jason and opened his throat up but I think Magni and Toby overall were the strongest vocalists--but Magni admittedly didn't fit at all and I guess they didn't want to go with Toby and "Throw it Away."

It was an ok season; the first one was much better but this one had its moments. I'll be buying the Supernova CD as well as anything that Toby, Magni (in English hopefully), Ryan, or Josh release.

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd

It's a sham because the winner had been chosen before the show even began. Read back through this thread and you'll see where a few of these things were discussed. I was personally told by a number of industry people that this was the case. And true to form it played out exactly as I had been told.

Aaron Reynolds

Screenwriter
Real Name
Aaron Reynolds
So Supernova were forced to choose Lukas by the producers? Or what?

It's only a sham if the band didn't pick him based on a talent search. The exact date that they picked him doesn't matter -- why would it?

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd

Nope, Supernova chose Lukas themselves before the show even began. This is completely unfair to the other contestants being that this is supposed to be a contest to see who will sing for the band. If the winner has already been chosen before the show even began, that's not fair to the other contestants who busted their butts for nothing thinking they had a chance.

Real Name
Sandra
I'm really surprised that people didn't seem to notice that Magni and Toby had monotone voices without nuance. Just listen to, for instance, White Wedding. That version has absolutely NONE of the vocalizing that even Billy Idol pulled off, and he's not really known for GREAT singing either. And I could never remember which guy sang what between Magni & Toby, as I've said before, they were interchangeable! Anyway, Lukas really WAS the best - and he DID get the largest amount of votes - though HERE he seems to be the least liked.

It was kinda cool that each of the Final Four was from a different country!

Aaron Reynolds

Screenwriter
Real Name
Aaron Reynolds
Wait -- they chose him without looking at the other auditions? He was on the first day or something and then they went home and didn't see any more?

From what I knew, though, the band were not present at the auditions, at least not in Toronto.

Regardless, they chose him because they liked him best. No one else changed their minds over the course of the show.

Do you mean to tell me that they liked someone better but didn't pick them? How stupid would they have to be?

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris

Aaron - this is somewhat intellectually dishonest - I don't know how to put it more mildy or I would as I don't mean to offend you. I think I get what your trying to say but I don't agree. This "show"'s premise is that all contestants at the beginning have an actual shot at being the lead singer for Brand (band) X and if they already had Lucas picked then it's simply dishonest to sell the show any other way then some mildly talented singers singing for some aging hacks who think they somehow are still relevant.

Sorry - late afternoon always finds me a bit cranky. and spelling challenged.

Aaron Reynolds

Screenwriter
Real Name
Aaron Reynolds
No offense taken -- but do you really think that if someone showed that they were a better fit during the season that Supernova would stubbornly not pick them, just to keep up their evil plot?

I think it's far more likely that they loved him from the start and the job was his to lose.

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
I doubt very much the contest was really fixed, at least from as early on as some have claimed.

ToddH, your logic in particular is faulty. You claim you were told by "insiders" that Lukas would win. Lukas did win. You therefore assume that the "insiders" were correct that the show was fixed.

If I told you today that I had inside information that Hillary Clinton was going to be the next President of the USA and, come 2008, she won the election, would you assume that the election was fixed because I correctly predicted the outcome?

Now let us, for the sake of argument, assume the show was fixed. It is interesting that nobody has commented on who would have the most to lose if that were the case--Mark Burnett. This man has built an empire on "reality TV." If Supernova was fixed, then credibility for all of his other shows goes right out the window and people will be crying "fowl" at the outcome of all of them, whether they are actually fixed or not.

Is Mark Burnett a stupid person? Certainly not when it comes to business. Yet by suggesting that Supernova was fixed, you suggest that Mark Burnett would risk the credibility--and more importantly the popularity--of all of his shows just for one season of a single show that is not nearly his most lucrative! Seems unlikely. Seems foolish and not very business savvy at all.

On the other hand, I think it is perfectly likely and natural that Supernova would have had a small group of "favourites" from the get go. Seriously you wouldn't really expect them to be making a decision of such magnitude in the few seconds between commercials. The fact of the matter is that, in the end, Lukas was the most talented, entertaining and varied performer on the show. Not to mention the rather obvious fact that he's the one who sounded best with the band.

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
I never thought of this as a pure competition like a game show, since the band has the right to choose their lead singer, even if that happens to be someone like Lukas who lacks talent.

It doesn't make sense to make the choice before the season starts- why waste all those weeks of performances to help decide?

Carl Miller

Screenwriter
Seems all of us here had long ago figured Lukas was going to win...However, what about the rest of the viewing public? Is it not a sham if the viewing public thinks it's a competition, when it really isn't?

I'm just playing devils advocate but what if people tuned in every week because they believed Dilana or whoever truly had a chance to win? I'm sure at least some of the viewing public felt this way, and watched the show the way a casual sports fan might watch their favorite team until their team gets eliminated from making the playoffs for example.

If this was the case with the show, and I'm not saying it was, I don't know if I'd call it a sham, but I certainly would call it misleading.

JimPeitersen

Second Unit
To those of you who think a show cannot be "fixed" I've got a nice bridge in Brooklyn to sell you - cheap! People were fixing shows back in the 1950's. Votes don't mean anything either, as we are putting faith in the public who cast their vote for no apparent reason. I think there is some type of mass delusion going on for people to think that Lukas can actually sing, or has any type of star quality. Can he be "marketed," perhaps - but that isn't the same as being the best.
JP

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks