What's new

Rock Star: Supernova (1 Viewer)

AnthonyC

Senior HTF Member
But the votes don't matter--the final decision was Supernova's. They picked Lukas.

Whether they planned that or not doesn't matter. They wanted him in the band so they chose him. As long as it wasn't something where he and/or the other competitors knew in advance, I don't see anything wrong with it.

Aaron Reynolds

Screenwriter
Real Name
Aaron Reynolds
Jim, I'm not saying that the show couldn't be fixed -- I'm saying that it doesn't make any sense to rig the outcome.

Who stands to gain anything, aside from Lukas? This show was a big commercial for Supernova's tour and album; why would they choose to deliberately handicap themselves with a singer who they felt was not the best they could get?

There's just no reason that I can see to do it.

Conspiracy theorists: why do you think they would want to rig the show? And who do you think rigged it?

Motives, motives, I wanna hear the motives!

JimPeitersen

Second Unit
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$... and $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$!!!

Aaron Reynolds

Screenwriter
Real Name
Aaron Reynolds
Who is making the money, and how? Jim, you don't make any sense -- how can anyone make money by NOT choosing the best frontman or frontwoman for the band?

Of course they're taking things like marketing into consideration -- the phone voting tells them if they're on the right track or not in terms of what the fans like. But that's not "rigging" the competition -- that's making a smart choice.

And please remember that in all this, I really don't like the choice of Lukas. I am not defending their choice. I didn't like the guy INXS chose, either. But I don't think either season was rigged -- I think they both chose the person they thought would fit best with their band. They just had a different opinion from mine.

Carl Miller

Screenwriter

Aaron, I'm not saying it was rigged, but there could be a lot of variables involved that potentially could make the eventual winner practically inconsequential. Much of this depends on what Supernova's intent truly is and whether their intent is to be one and done with an album and a tour, or whether they plan to be a band for several years.

The bulk of the money this show makes is made leading up to the final episode where the winner is chosen...This would make the path to the final episode where everyone involved makes the real money.

There is money generated from the voting and from advertising, so the concern could be how to make the most money in the process from week to week, rather than how to make the most money after the band has chosen their singer, and what the band does afterward with that singer.

Supernova, I don't think, did this just for a singer. They must be getting paid, and could even be receiving a percentage of the overall profits or a percentage one of the revenue streams such as phone voting revenue.

It is possible then that it doesn't really matter who they chose in the end, as long as they made the right decisions to maximize profit in the process of airing the show...the right choices of who to keep, who to get rid of, and when.

After the fact, when the show is over, whether they had picked Magni, Toby, Dilana or Lukas might not really matter. All had their own fan base. So if Magni was chosen, his fans would be buying the tickets for upcoming SN shows, instead of Lukas'.

Again, I'm not saying it was rigged, but I wouldn't say it's out of the realm of possiblity that those involved in the show manipulated events and outcomes to the best of their ability...If the band is going to be one and done, which I and I think most people suspect, how much difference in tour and album sales does choosing Lukas over Toby really make?

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
Well put, obviously it's just the I HATE LUKAS camp that's crying foul here.

( :laugh: I wrote "fowl" in my previous post. I'm going to leave it, cuz it's funny.)

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sean*O

Second Unit

Not trying to pick on you, but that's not the case. You can go look on any message board you can find related to this show -even the official SN site forum- and it's the same thing... very little overall support for Lucas or for the band's (Tommy's) decision to hire him as the frontman.

For someone just reading all of the posted opinions and keeping score, Lucas is far from the most popular, and that calls into question the legitimacy of the voting process, since he was so often NOT in the bottom 3. I mean really, if it was true that Lucas was the most popular, then there would have been no reason for Tommy and the show's producers to show Dilana in a bad light to try and swing popularity over to Lucas. Still did not work, apparently.

JimPeitersen

Second Unit

The network, the producer's, the "band," Brooke & Dave, the back-up band, the advertisers, the phone companies, etc. I have never said the show was "rigged," but it wouldn't surprise me. All I have ever implied is that people who think this was ever a real contest should get a reality check. Lukas "winning" just made this argument easier. With the amount of money at stake, there is nothing left to chance. Do you notice that networks now use delays to make sure content is "acceptable"? Nobody ever sings "live" anymore, they are either lip-syncing or have the infamous "support" vocal tracks added. The backers simply don't want to take a chance that things will go wrong. I would argue that this show is no different.
JP

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain

Ah...more conspiracy mumbo jumbo. And more faulty logic.

So the people crying foul over Lukas are being very vocal on a few forums, etc...that doesn't prove anything. Did these people call in votes? Do you know? If Dilana had won, would the Lukas supporters be more apt to come out and cry foul. Lukas won. For the most part his fans probably don't feel much need to say much at all.

So why am I writing this? In the end, I don't care all that much who won or didn't. I probably won't buy the record anyhow. In fact, I think Dilana got the better prize in the end. A Lukas solo album I would find far more appealling than a Supergeezer album.

What bugs me is how everyone is so quick to cry foul, apply faulty logic, bad math and very unobjective observations simply because their favourite didn't win.

If you guys are right and this was fixed. And if the guys over in the Survivor: Cook Islands thread are right....oh you've heard right, that's fixed now too....Mark Burnett et al will be out of business in short order and we can all move on to the next pop culture craze.

Aaron Reynolds

Screenwriter
Real Name
Aaron Reynolds
Jim (or anybody):

You keep skipping the central part of my question. How will they make more money by pre-determining the outcome instead of just picking the singer they like best? Until someone can explain the reasoning, I just have to laugh off the conspiracies -- they're idiotic!

Jim, you posted a big list of people who stand to gain more money from Supernova making their choice far in advance and supposedly not choosing the singer they like best. Time to put up or shut up: tell me how the scam works.

Carl Miller

Screenwriter

I gave you my theory as to how it could happen...guess it was missed or deemed unworthy, but I'll restate it in shorter terms:

The bulk of the money made from the show comes from the weeks leading up to the final show where the winner is chosen.

It's possible the choices of who stays and who goes were based not on who the band liked best, but rather on how their choices could best generate revenue week to week until the final episode.

Is it so unbelievable to suggest the show may have relied on generating controversy in order to bring viewers back to watch and vote? That Zayra for example was kept around not because the band liked her, but because viewers would tune in to see her get bounced? Or that Storm was kept around not because they liked her so much but because she brought bunches of 13 year old boys to tune in?

If, for Supernova, the idea was to make the most money possible from the show, it's entirely possible their week to week choices were based on maximizing profit rather than on who they liked best...Until the very last week, when perhaps they did chose who they liked best from whoever was leff, because by that time, the money had been made and it didn't really matter.

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
Why do people keep talking about a conspiracy? There's no conspiracy. What I heard is the guys from Supernova chose Lukas after meeting all of them before the show began. Tommy Lee, who is one of the producers as well, was especially smitten with Lukas. Simple as that.

My problem with this is it turns the show's "competition" into a non-event. You have all these other singers giving it their all with no chance of winning. Sure the guys could have changed their minds during the show, but musicians are a stubborn bunch. I should know. I've butted heads with many of my fellow musicians over the years because none of us would budge on some type of decision we've made.

And what about all the fans that spent money voting every week for nothing? They spent all this money texting every week and had no influence on the outcome whatsoever. Do they get their money back?

Is there a solution to keep this from happening again? I guess you could have talent scouts find the contestants and not let the band meet them until the actual contest begins. You could also have the fans have more of a say in the outcome by actually letting them vote off singers. But I definitely don't see this happening.

I personally don't have a problem with Lukas. Even though he sounds like a frog with marbles in his mouth singing with a faux British accent, he has fans that look past his total lack of singing ability. Maybe it's his image that they find interesting. And we all know that these days the music industry is less about talent and more about image anyway. So more power to him. I'm sure if my boy Butch is still producing the album, he'll be able to make him sound decent in the studio.

Will I pay money to see them live? Not a chance. Two hours of listening to Lukas mumble lyrics while doing his best Scott Weiland impression is not my idea of enjoyment. But, hey. This is just one man's opinion. No harm in that. So I'm done here. It's been fun. Maybe the next one will be a bit better. Later.

Aaron Reynolds

Screenwriter
Real Name
Aaron Reynolds

Well, unless the voting was rigged, those fans voted repeatedly and consistently for Lukas -- he finished in the bottom three just once, and got the most votes on the final night.

Did anyone else finish with as strong a record from the audience vote? I mean, if the band liked him from the get-go, the fan voting surely would have strengthened their resolve.

Again, I did not like him -- but I can see why they chose him.

Carl Miller

Screenwriter

:laugh: For this 41 year old, it was Jill. Storm should have taught her how to puff out her chest more. She was good at that.

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris

he lost any credibility when he attached his name to a show hyping TBWNN* as the next supergroup!

*The Band With No Name

Aaron Reynolds

Screenwriter
Real Name
Aaron Reynolds
Carl, considering that they used fan voting to help them determine a winner, obviously the "most popular" factor is part of the decision-making process. They want to obviously sell as many tickets and CDs and ringtones as possible. I wouldn't be surprised if anything you suggest had been done.

But I also would not feel cheated, or feel that the show had been rigged -- if they had done all this to pick the most popular contestant, isn't that supposed to make the majority of viewers happy?

I think that the people who feel that the fix was in and that they were cheated are simply upset at the final choice.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Actually, I think they use fan voting as a means to dismiss potential candidates. It's easier to say that someone is in the bottom 3 for 3 weeks in a row, and therefore must be shown the door, than it is to just tell them they stunk up the joint and no one would buy their records if they choose the person in the bottom 3 for many weeks at a time. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks