What's new

My Home Theater got hit by an Earthquake...!!! (1 Viewer)

EricK

Second Unit
Real Name
Eric
Yesterday I recieved my brand new, Earthquake Supernova MkIV 15" subwoofer. This thing rocks!! It can move so much air, that that it literally feels like your couch is moving and floating in mid-air! Bass is nice and tight, and while this woofer rocks with music...it really excels with movies. The Earthquake packs a punch and hits you solid not only in the chest, but your whole body. :star: :star: :star: :star: :star:
Absolutely incredible...it is able to give you a realism to movies such as Phantom Menace, U-571, and the Last Castle. Watching the Last Castle last night, it felt like Gen. Irwin (Redford) and his band of inmates were literally destroying the Castle in my basement.
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif

If you are in the market for a subwoofer, I stongly recommend giving one of these an audition. :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:
Eric.

SHAWN SZILEZY

Stunt Coordinator
EricK,
Hey, how is it going? Met you at the NY Home Theater Show. I am sure you have auditioned SVS's. I was just curious if you could give some comparisons? :D

EricK

Second Unit
Real Name
Eric
Shawn,

Nice to see you again...hope you will make this years Home Expo 2002 show in NYCity...there is a post in local meets about it...

as far as the SVS vs. Earthquake comparison...I have not had a chance to hear an SVS yet. However, in my experience with subwoofers over the years, I've heard many...Klipsch, M & K, Paradigm, Velodyne, Sunfire, Atlantic Tech, B & K, etc, etc...

I've owned M & K and Velodyne subs...neither of these could match the output that this Earthquake brings to the table. The Earthquake is an incredible sub...I would have to say based on what I've read about SVS, that the Earthquake could beat or give the SVS a run for its money, depending of course on the model of SVS.

Nick P

Second Unit
I would have to say based on what I've read about SVS, that the Earthquake could beat or give the SVS a run for its money, depending of course on the model of SVS
Just curious, what information are you basing this on? If we lived closer I'd put my twin 20-39CS+/S1000 combo (1500.00 retail) up against your Earthquake (2000.00 retail?). That would be interesting I think. :)

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
Hi Erick,sounds like you have your self a major sub on your hands.Congratulations:emoji_thumbsup:

EricHaas

Supporting Actor
Man, I'd love to demo one of those sometime. That's a 15" driver in a relatively compact enclosure (19x19x19) with a passive radiator and a 580 watt amp. I read somewhere it does 100 db at 10 hz and like 115db at 20hz. There is apparently also a version with a 12" driver in a smaller enclosure, also with a PR. Anyone know where to buy these? I am in the bay area.

farnamT

Agent
Hello people,

I own the MKIII-12 - same as the MKIV-15 with 12" driver and same 580 watt amp. I like this sub alot:

1. its only 15" cube

2. Has huge output and clean bass

3. I only paid $590 shipped for it brand new off ebay. For that price, there is nothing you can buy that can beat this unless you build your own.

Playing the Jurasic park THX test makes me feel like the dinarsour is in the next room. The ground shakes with relism. What am i comparing this sub to: KSW-12, car audio subs.

You can get the MKIV-15 for $1500 shipped and the MKIV-12 for $1000 shipped: just do a search on google and some merchant with those prices comes up.

EricK

Second Unit
Real Name
Eric
John Geelan :

Thanks, I am loving this thing! Hopefully we'll be able to get together with Michael and Andy again soon...this time at my place!

Steve NN:

You will love this subwoofer...you'll never have to buy another sub again! This sub will rock your house down to its bare foundations and then some.

Farnam T:

The price was unbeatable for a sub of this quality...intense piece of speaker!!

Eric Haas:

RUN...don't walk to your nearest dealer...demo this bad boy...give it your best bass tests...it will pass them with flying colors...be afraid! be very afraid! :b

Nick P:

It would be a great sub vs. sub contest...I think Tom V. had mentioned which SVS would be a good challenge for an Earthquake in another thread on here...I'll have to find it....wasn't sure if it was a Twin 20-39cs or an Ultra.

Eric.

John A. Casler

Second Unit
I have a couple pricing connections for EarthQuake (they are here in CA)

E-mail me and I'll give you a little help.

JAC

Will Gatlin Jr

Stunt Coordinator
EricK...
Since you've mentioned the model of your Earthquake sub, how bout` mentioning the model numbers of the subs you say the Earthquake outplays.

EricK

Second Unit
Real Name
Eric
Will G:

I could do that no problem...however I have listened to many subs over the years and to list those subs would be a waste of time and space...

But if it REALLY helps you out...then I will if you request it again.

Eric.

EricK

Second Unit
Real Name
Eric
I will name a few to satisfy curiosity here....these are recent ones......
M & K Subs
V-75
V-125
MX-125
MX-150
MX-200
MX-5000
Atlantic Tech Subs
170 sys
270 sys
370 sys
450 sys
Sunfire
True Sub
True Sub Signature
True Sub Jr.
Klipsch
KSW 12, 15
RSW 12, 15
Paradigm
Servo 15
PDR 10, 12
PS1000, PS1200
PW2200
Definitive Tech
PF1500 TL+
PF15 TL+
ProSub 200
ProSub 100
None of these subs are by no means "underacheivers" or "losers." :D It's just my opinion, after having heard, auditioned, demoed, played with, experienced, sold, bought, etc, etc.....that the Earthquake truly, for me, is a helluva performer compared to these. I did not even get to list Velodyne (which I own btw, also, along with an M & K) which I have always been high on!
any more questions, please ask...
Eric.
Eric.

Michael Lee

Supporting Actor
I can't say that I have compared the Earthquake MKIV 15P to all of those subs listed above. However, I have compared it to a Sunfire True Sub, Atlantic Tech 352 PBM, Atlantic Tech 452 PBM and a Sonance Subwoofer--in the same listening room. The Earthquake was much more pleasing to me in all respects. I have also had the pleasure to have heard an SVS 16-46 recently in a friend's house. I must say that this is also an incredible subwoofer. They both had deep tight bass that moved quickly. I would give the slight edge to the Earthquake. That being said, SVS probably gives a better dollar value...size constraints make the Earthquake the subwoofer for me though.

Jason Watson

Stunt Coordinator
Replied to a couple of members, but for "woolfe", I can not open your e-mail. Sorry. Maybe try sending to the HTF listed addy, and I will get my wife to forward.

Thanks, Jason

Martice

Screenwriter
I don't know about you guys but for less than $700.00 I bought an Octo sub from Link Removed which sports the Adire Audio Tempest driver. I've had a day long listening session with dual SVS 2531's which impressed the heck out of me and was the first system to introduce me to "quality bass". I was convinced that I was going to get the 2039cs but bumped into Kyle at Acoustic Visions and I bought a 75L Dayton DVC 12" based sub that was on a different level than what I heard from the SVS baby sub and for about $410.00 including the PE plate amp. In short, the same quality bass experience that I first heard from the 2531 setup but more low level extension when compared one on one. (Please note that the rooms in which I heard the subs were different in shape but almost identical in size)
I finally got tired of wondering about bass issues and thinking about if I could push the envelope with bass.
My new sub is the 5ft tall 214L Tempest model and I won't even try to explain what I'm experiencing in regards to bass. I'm taking measurments and will post them shortly.
Many companies offer good bass. The question is how much do you have to pay for that quality bass? Companies like Acoustic-Visions, SVS and Adire Audio are god sends to the big guys who have little pockets and to the guys with big pockets looking to spend their money more wisely.

EricK

Second Unit
Real Name
Eric
Many companies offer good bass. The question is how much do you have to pay for that quality bass? Companies like Acoustic-Visions, SVS and Adire Audio are god sends to the big guys who have little pockets and to the guys with big pockets looking to spend their money more wisely.
You are absolutely 100% right!! Adire, SVS, etc are great bangs (no pun intended) for the buck...no doubt. I got such a good deal on the Earthquake that is was well worth the "bang for the buck." Not only that, but it is a top subwoofer to boot...now that can't be beat!

Eric.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks