What's new

Robin Hood (1991) (1 Viewer)

ShawnC

Agent
Does anyone know if there are plans by Fox(they released the VHS)to release this version of the Robin Hood story to DVD? I feel it is superior to the 1991 Costner Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves. Any help would be appreciated as to the plans of this movie.

Bob Engleman

Stunt Coordinator
Shawn,

I'm in complete agreement with your post. My lack of enthusiasm for "Prince of Thieves" was caused by the performance of Kevin Costner, and the slapstick sheriff.

Bob Engleman

ShawnC

Agent
I liked the Costner version okay, but this version was, to me, far superior. Not that I'm putting down Prince of Thieves, far from it. I enjoy Costner's version of the Robin Hood story, but found this other version to be a more mature telling of the story. All the actors had, and kept, their accents, and it dealt more with the political aspects of the era (specifically the Norman-Anglo strife). Also, there wasn't as much emphasis on stylized action as in Costner's version. In addition, the character of Marian had more of a part to play in the plot other than being rescued, in my opinion a good change of pace. This Robin Hood movie with Patrick Bergin as Robin and Uma Thurman as Marian unfortunately seemed to get lost in the hype of Prince of Thieves and was released only on TV here in the US, to my knowledge, while it was released theatrically in many overseas markets. Right now the only version I have is the VHS copy and would thoroughly enjoy even a bare bones DVD version. By the way, does anyone know if there is a laserdisc version available? And if so, where?

KyleC

Supporting Actor
I hate to bump old threads but I was looking for a review of Prince of Thieves a few weeks ago and came across this thread. I was reading digitalbits today and found this:

"Finally, look for 300 Spartans, Robin Hood (Patrick Bergin & Uma Thurman) and Prince Valiant (James Mason) on May 11th (SRP $14.98 each)."

Thought you'd like to know.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks