What's new

Technicolor in MoMA restoration of The Adventures of Robin Hood (1938) (1 Viewer)

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Wouldn't they needed WBs okay to restore that version WB is the owner
To echo what RAH said, in copyright law, there is a difference between a copyright and a copyrighted article. There may be some issues with making a restoration copy that have to be worked through, but generally MOMA can do whatever it wants with physical items it owns. However, as the copyright owner, WB controls the ability to have a public performance of the film. Thus, to display the restoration to the public, the right would have to be licensed from WB. As a public museum, WB probably would be very lenient with licensing terms.

Trancas

Second Unit
Real Name
Eric
If everything in the print was supposed to be shades of dull orange, dull gold and brick, why did they bother to make Claude Rains' hair dark red?
861_9_1080p.jpg

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I like ROBIN HOOD just the way it is. It looks BEAUTIFUL, and it’s the sole reason I love Technicolor! Just take the current Warner Blu ray, scan for 4k uhd, and leave the colors alone. Simple-ish.
No worries because that's exactly what is going to happen.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Diversity in color pallet within the Technicolor scope is evidant, when comparing The Adventures of Robin Hood with a film like "Garden of Allah". Both Technicolor productions, but maybe they were using the color pallet to be an exstention of the films storytelling?

One is an Adventure/Romance and the other is more Hopeful/Exotic/Sad Star Crossed Lovers storyline. I'm just putting it out there as a possibility, as to the reasoning behind the use of the colorists varied pallets of color used. I grabbed some shots from GOA as examples. Here, its almost as if the lighting was set up for black and white, using color film...

Attachments

• dyIe05cqSHWs4X55ny2UX6iZhsC-1200-1200-675-675-crop-000000.jpg
    dyIe05cqSHWs4X55ny2UX6iZhsC-1200-1200-675-675-crop-000000.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 44
  • le-jardin-d-allah_952_29338.jpg
    le-jardin-d-allah_952_29338.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 35
  • sis-thegardenofallah-2.jpg
    sis-thegardenofallah-2.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 42
  • sis-thegardenofallah-3.jpg
    sis-thegardenofallah-3.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 37
  • sis-thegardenofallah-5.jpg
    sis-thegardenofallah-5.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 37

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
Diversity in color pallet within the Technicolor scope is evidant, when comparing The Adventures of Robin Hood with a film like "Garden of Allah". Both Technicolor productions, but maybe they were using the color pallet to be an exstention of the films storytelling?

One is an Adventure/Romance and the other is more Hopeful/Exotic/Sad Star Crossed Lovers storyline. I'm just putting it out there as a possibility, as to the reasoning behind the use of the colorists varied pallets of color used. I grabbed some shots from GOA as examples. Here, its almost as if the lighting was set up for black and white, using color film...

This is more of what I was expecting when the thread started. I think those stills from Garden of Allah are also lovely, but if that's not what Curtiz wanted, conforming Robin Hood that that palette is essentially an intellectual exercise.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
This is more of what I was expecting when the thread started. I think those stills from Garden of Allah are also lovely, but if that's not what Curtiz wanted, conforming Robin Hood that that palette is essentially an intellectual exercise.
Were there different prints for different parts of the country because 1938 reviews raved about the technicolor in Robin Hood

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
My thought was that maybe, since it was so new and the color variations were so wide, opening up the possibilites of what Technicolor offered, some may have seen it as an opportunity to better express or enhance the visuals, as a great musical score enhances the overall feel for the film. Color used an an additional "element" if you will, to elevate the directors vision for the film?

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Just found this nice read on the priority of film restoration and the saving of our history.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks