What's new

RL without a measure (1 Viewer)

Father John A

Stunt Coordinator
I orginally posted this in another thread. I thought maybe I should start a new one.

Could someone please explain how to set my RL on a receiver that doesnt have a Master Volume scale? My Sony STR-DE945 shows everything you would ever want to know and NOT know, but somewhere in Sony's logic they left the main volume unmeasured.

All of this in hopes of calibrating our SV sub.

Thanks.

Robb Roy

Supporting Actor
Fr. John,

That's very odd that there is no display for the volume, just a knob. I'm going to assume here that when you use the remote to adjust the volume, that the knob actually turns.

This is what I would do... Before I go further, I'm emphasizing that this is what I would do, not what should be done. In fact, since it's what I would do, I can only hope for your sake that someone else comes along and tells you the right thing to do.

I would turn the volume up just past 3/4 full volume, and I would put a small mark on your amp's face at this point so that you could return to it easily. I would then turn the volume to that point. I would adjust the output of each of the speakers at this point with an SPL meter, and call that reference. As to figuring out how far above or below reference you may be playing something, well, you'll never really know, but you'll have an idea (at least for your system). Far from perfect, but you do what you can.

-Robb

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
Actually, I was thinking something along similar lines:

Play the test tones with Avia/S&V and increase the MV until you hit 85 dB on the speaker channel in question (I usually start with the center channel). Leave the MV untouched and adjust all other channels to 85 dB also.

As precisely as you can, mark a spot on the AVR MV and on the AVR faceplate and that's your RL setting. I discrete dab of white-out might do it, or maybe some small stick-on arrows from a kid's playset.

I would add other marks on the faceplate for -10 RL (75 dB with Avia/S&V) and -15 RL (70 dB).

FWIW, I think it's incredibly stupid of Sony to not include MV settings. Don't they even come up on some type of OSD GUI on your television?

Regards,

Ed

Matthew Todd

Second Unit
Fr. John,

Now I've actually seen someone else with the same problem as me!!! I have an Onkyo 656 receiver that has no volume scale either. It just has the master volume knob.

I've done basically what Ed recommended, and I think it works out just fine.

First, in the receiver's menu I set each channel level to 0db (except the subwoofer volume - explained below). Then I put in the Avia or DVE (I have both). Starting with the left channel, I turn the master volume up until the SPL meter reads 85 or 75 dB (depending on whether using Avia or DVE). I mark that level on the master volume knob (actually put the mark off the knob as the knob turns and you can't reference the point again if you mark the knob). Leaving the master volume knob at that level, you then play the tones for the other speakers (center, right, right surround, left surround, subwoofer). For each one, you adjust the channel volume (not the master volume) so that the SPL meter reads 85 or 75 dB. You can set the subwoofer volume to be slightly higher if you like. Also, it is recommended that you leave the subwoofer channel volume adjustment in the receiver at about 1/4 of the way up (say about -5 on a -10 to +10 scale) That's it. You're done.

I haven't done this yet, but you could then turn the master volume down until the sound from any of the channels is -5dB and mark that next to the master volume knob. You could do the same things for -10, -15, -20, etc.

Matt

Father John A

Stunt Coordinator
Thank you both!

At least I know I am getting somewhere now.

I will try and employ your advice. Unfortunately I have a few impediments. First, I have yet to get a calibration disk, though VE is in the mail. The test tones generated by my DE945 are not what I would like touse for RL. Secondly, fir all of its myriad settings (yikes!) the Sony does not have (at least that I can find) level settings for the front R & L speakers, if you can beleive that. This leads me to think that perhaps I should use those channels to establish my RL using the Master Volume and then set the remaining speakers (which DO have individual level settings) at 75dB with their respective level control, starting at 0 as suggested.

I think I will wait until I get VE though and use the test tones from it.

I hope this makes sense.

Zack_R

Stunt Coordinator
Is this an old pro logic receiver? I have a 965 that is around 10 years old but it does have numbers and dots along the outer edge of the dial as well as a red led light on the knob.

If it is a Dolby Digital receiver could it be that you may have selected a different panel menu that would not show the volume?

The balance knob will work fine for your front right and left mains if you need to make adjustments between them.

Nathan Stohler

Second Unit
Real Name
Nathan Stohler
John, you are right: you use your master volume to adjust R/L to the reference level (or other desired level), and then you leave the master volume alone while you adjust your other speakers, using only the individual level controls for center, surround, and sub.

It is common for a receiver to not have an individaul level control for the R/L speakers.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks