What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

RIP Stanley Kamel ("Monk"'s Dr. Kroger) (1 Viewer)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Oh, wow! This is a shocker. RIP, Mr. Kamel. Thanks for an excellent performance. Best wishes to his family during this difficult time.

Garrett Adams

Supporting Actor
I noticed a number of episodes back that Kamel didn't look right. He was missing his usual sparkle and was more pale than I remembered.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I honestly never noticed anything wrong with him, but if it was a heart attack I wouldn't think one would show any outside abnormalities until just before the attack?

At any rate the show will not be the same without him, I know it's bad of me to ask but what will Adrian do without Dr. Kroger? :frowning: I watched one of the eps today that USA shows every weekday and it was the one where Dr. Kroger was planning to retire, I wonder if they played that one in tribute?

Sad, sad day. :frowning:

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
They really must play his actual loss into the show as a tribute to his fantastic acting.

Dr. Kroger: I think we need to increase our visits next week to three days a week on Monday, Wednesday and Friday.
Monk: And Tuesday.
Dr. Kroger: That will be 4 days Adrian.
Monk: And Tuesday.
Dr. Kroger: Ok, then. Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday.
Monk: And Thursday.
Dr. Kroger: Thursday will make it five days. I don't thin..
Monk: And Friday!!!
Dr. Kroger: Ok. Monday, Tuesday, Wenesday, Thursday and Friday.
Monk: and Saturday.
Dr. Kroger: Saturday is my day to spend with my family and..
Monk: and Saturday!
Dr. Kroger: Ok Monday thru Saturday.
Monk: and Sunday.
Dr. Kroger: Absolutely not Adrian. Sunday's are my day off.
Monk: and Sunday (whinning)
Dr. Kroger: Ok, then Monday thru Sunday....

Camera..fade to black.

RIP.

John Stell

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Stell
Elizondo is a great actor and should make for a good character. The Monk writers will no doubt deftly balance Monk's apprehensions with a new doctor with some genuinely touching moments regarding the loss.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino

The final cause of death may have been an MI, but that could have been brought on by any number of health problems that would have shown signs much earlier, including various kinds of cardiovascular disease, but also including bacterial and viral infections that can attack the heart valves and trigger heart attacks.

I've also noticed that he has not been looking well for the past season and noticed that he didn't seem to be getting as much screen time, and have frankly been a little concerned. So the sad news comes as a surprise, but not a total bolt from the blue. RIP Mr. Kamel. And Doctor Kroger. (I don't believe for one second that they will try to recast the role. Most shows don't unless there is a compelling reason either in the storyline or the format of the show itself why a given character has to stay around when the actor is no longer available, regardless of the reason.

The obvious example is replacing Sharona with Natalie - which was a much more risky move in terms of the show's chemistry. If they didn't recast that role, but instead went with a new character and a new relationship between Monk and his assistant, I can't see them hiring a new actor to play Dr. Kroger - especially given that the actor didn't quit, but rather passed away. The fans wouldn't stand for it.

Nor do I think that Elizondo would consent to just continue playing a character created by another actor.

Regards,

Joe

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SuperMarty88
Recent bookmarks