What's new

RIP - Richard Sherman, 95 (1 Viewer)

richardburton84

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack
I was actually rewatching the long version of Bedknobs and Broomsticks earlier today. So many great songs from him and his brother Robert (both at and outside of Disney) I scarcely know where to begin apart from Mary Poppins (arguably his best work). R.I.P.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I just created essentially the same thread and must have overlooked this one. Apologies.

Can a moderator merge my post into this one? Thanks.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
He lived a very long, full and productive life. Personally, I do not care for the bulk of the brothers' songwriting. But in 1964, they came out with MARY POPPINS, which blew me away. Almost every song is perfect for the film, with very clever lyrics and stick-in-the-memory, hummable tunes. I still play the expanded CD sometimes. I bought the album in 1964 (when I was 14) with my lawn-mowing money. For me, it is not "arguably" their best score. It is the absolute zenith of their careers.

Robert's loss must have been a deep personal blow to his brother, and I can't imagine his solo music didn't suffer for it. That he continued writing regardless is a testament to his unique talent.

Back to their team: Many times since, listening to the songs they wrote subsequent to MARY POPPINS, I have wondered if it might have become terribly frustrating for them to realize over time that they just couldn't recall that genie from the bottle... that wonderful, illusive muse. IMO, they never did. They never came close.

But thank you, Robert and Richard, for the perfection of POPPINS, and for adding so much joy and so many songs to the world (although I do hope someday we can do away with that Small World song). And thanks, really truly, for MARY POPPINS.

Flame barrier in place.

Bernard McNair

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bernard McNair
So many wonderful songs. Feed the Birds is one of the most poignant songs in the musical canon. For sheer joy Let’s Go Fly a Kite works for me on the darkest days.
Thank you for the multiple musical memories and RIP.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jack_graham861
Recent bookmarks