What's new

Ring Pro Doorbell (1 Viewer)

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Wonder if there is the same in the iOS version? Regardless, Amazon has some explaining to do. If the iOS app does have data sharing hopefully Apple bans it from the App Store until resolved to pressure Amazon to deliver a clean version.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
What are the alternatives? Currently or anticipated? I’m thinking of replacing my Ring.

The downside...Ring security is reviewed as the best DIY security system and I wanted to install a system this year.

Have to do some more research and maybe just wait for things to shake out.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
What are the alternatives? Currently or anticipated? I’m thinking of replacing my Ring.

The downside...Ring security is reviewed as the best DIY security system and I wanted to install a system this year.

Have to do some more research and maybe just wait for things to shake out.

I am waiting for things to shake out myself. I’m not in a position to replace everything, and I frankly don’t trust Nest/Google with my privacy any more than Ring/Amazon and they are the best alternative at the moment.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I am waiting for things to shake out myself. I’m not in a position to replace everything, and I frankly don’t trust Nest/Google with my privacy any more than Ring/Amazon and they are the best alternative at the moment.
I’ve read Simplisafe as the best alt to Ring. And likewise, I’ve ruled out Google Nest for my home.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Does the Nest have the same issues as Ring or are there other concerns?
I’ve not read a lot about Nest specifically. Personally, I’ve minimized my use of Google products. Their fundamental mission is to collect data, including personal info, and use it for advertising. They’ve seemingly done a good job of not spilling it. But knowing that’s their core mission, I’m wary of buying internet routers and security systems from them that could coopted by their profit motive to gather my data at that level inside my home.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I hope this is appropriate here. My Ring doorbell (not the pro, battery operated) has the slow (2.4 ghz) wifi speed. I’ve recently installed a new 2 channel router/modem With a 5 ghz channel. The newer Ring doorbells have the higher speed now.

We have never been able to use the Ring to see who’s at the door. By the time we bring up the app (it’s always going) and wait for it to display the video, our visitors will have tired and left. The Ring basically notifies us someone is there. Now that we have a 5 ghz speed wifi, would a 5 ghz Ring do better? Could we actually see who’s there in time?

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
I hope this is appropriate here. My Ring doorbell (not the pro, battery operated) has the slow (2.4 ghz) wifi speed. I’ve recently installed a new 2 channel router/modem With a 5 ghz channel. The newer Ring doorbells have the higher speed now.

We have never been able to use the Ring to see who’s at the door. By the time we bring up the app (it’s always going) and wait for it to display the video, our visitors will have tired and left. The Ring basically notifies us someone is there. Now that we have a 5 ghz speed wifi, would a 5 ghz Ring do better? Could we actually see who’s there in time?
I have a pro and a 5ghz WiFi. Assuming you don’t have a ton of interference 2.4 should be enough I would think. I occasionally have the same problem. Ring came out with a new “lite” app that works much better for answering the doorbell and getting motion notifications. On iPhone it’s called Rapid Ring. You don’t have access to all the features, so keep the Ring app installed to access them, but try using Rapid Ring app before upgrading your doorbell.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I am subscribed to this thread--even though I have a Nest wireless camera doorbell. I pay $5/month for 5 days of video storage in their Cloud. This just came in handy as my neighbor across the street had some things taken from their yard.

I am interested in what you guys post about security concerns. I just am flummoxed, however, about what I should be worried about.

What can anyone (Nest/Google) infer from my doorbell video and how can they use it to customize advertising for me? Maybe I am naive, but the only thought I ever had is that if someone had access to my feed they could know my comings-and-goings (and how many freaking times I take the dogs out for walks each day!). But I cannot fathom what problems I could create by having the doorbell camera in place. Or am I missing something?

I have no other Google-type products (Dot/Alexa) that I use--other than a Nest thermostat (which I love). And I only access the camera footage via my Nest app on my phone.

Thx.

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
Mike,

The main concern is that they could use machine vision algorithms to determine things like who you shop from, who delivers to you and how often to start marketing to you. This is in addition to the regular things like sharing video with police without consent.

I personally use a Ring Pro doorbell, but I have a separate wireless network for my IOT devices that has no access to the rest of my home network. I don't really care if they spy on me otherwise.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave

I've found that, practically, the Ring is too slow to use as an actual doorbell intercom. By the time it comes up, and connects, and then I toggle from prior even to live mode, whoever was at the door has left.

It's real value for us is as a package-delivery notification system. And it's worth the price of admission just for that.

The new feature, taking a snapshot every minute, is also good, because it mitigates any quirks or misses of the motion detection system.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I have a pro and a 5ghz WiFi. Assuming you don’t have a ton of interference 2.4 should be enough I would think. I occasionally have the same problem. Ring came out with a new “lite” app that works much better for answering the doorbell and getting motion notifications. On iPhone it’s called Rapid Ring. You don’t have access to all the features, so keep the Ring app installed to access them, but try using Rapid Ring app before upgrading your doorbell.
Installed and tested Rapid Ring. Works great for answering doorbell! Thanks for tip. :)

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Mike,

The main concern is that they could use machine vision algorithms to determine things like who you shop from, who delivers to you and how often to start marketing to you. This is in addition to the regular things like sharing video with police without consent.

I personally use a Ring Pro doorbell, but I have a separate wireless network for my IOT devices that has no access to the rest of my home network. I don't really care if they spy on me otherwise.

this is a great idea. Adding it to the eventual project list along with a guest network.

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
I use ruckus wireless APs, so I just created a second SSID for IOT devices. You can create a firewall rule on the access point blocking access to anything but the internet

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Dude do you know how ridiculous that sounds to non technical people?
I use ubiquity. I just haven't added a controller which would let me do some of those things. It's good advice, will just be a PITA for me to switch all IoT to a new SSID - might be easier to switch all the non IoT devices!

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Dude do you know how ridiculous that sounds to non technical people?

OMG! Too funny!

I was sitting here reading this thread earlier tonight and I said aloud to Peg, "Sometimes I just feel old and dumb." And I then read her Dave's post about the Ruckus wireless APs, etc.

Maybe someday I'll connect my BVC to my unaccounted flange modem to workaround my EEIC.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks