What's new

Logitech Circle View Doorbell (2 Viewers)

DaveF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
CIRCLE VIEW DOORBELL

I no longer recommend the Logitech Circle Doorbell. It doens't work in the sun. Mine is going offline most every morning now from overheating. In March. I assume it's going to be dead by July.

If you have an east or west facing home, or don't have trees or a shaded front door, this device is not for you.

Logitech Support is useless: all they say is that it doesn't work in direct sunlight and to shade it. Shade my doorbell? WTF?

I bought the end of December, so I fear I'm out of $200 and have a garbage video doorbell.

My Ring Pro video doorbell died last week. After some hasty research, I decided to buy the newly released Logitch Circle View Doorbell. It's so new, there were no reviews out, but it has some key features that I wanted in replacing the Ring.

• Apple Homekit compatible
  • Apple Homekit Secure Video with iCloud storage (included with my iCloud account)
  • No additional subscription fee
  • Getting out of the Amazon Ring social policies promoting police-state / neighborhood paranoia

Here it is installed.
IMG_0013.jpeg

Last edited:

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Owner
Real Name
Dave Upton
How's the video quality? Any lag with door answering?

I had to switch to Rapid Ring because the regular app was so slow.

DaveF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
How's the video quality? Any lag with door answering?

I had to switch to Rapid Ring because the regular app was so slow.
I’d also switched to Rapid Ring when I learned about it.

The Circle has been installed for all of two hours now :) so too early to say how fast it is.

But in part because it was too slow, we never used the Ring as an intercom. It’s big use was for package delivery notification and confirmation. Video quality seems adequate. Not amazing, slowish frame rate, but no worse than the Ring overall, maybe better. The FOV is more square which doens’t help me with my entry alcove, but I don’t think hurts.

I’ve have more to say after a few days of use. Right now we’re just trying to get it set so it doesn’t trigger off every passing car and dog walker. :)

DaveF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Quick test:
  • Definitely faster than Ring app
  • Probably faster than Ring Rapid
  • Simpler than Ring Rapid two app hopscotch
  • Face recognition works, it identified me by name to my wife
  • It’s integrated with the AppleTV
9C967DD9-E916-4AC9-AE9C-C1F83630E9FA.jpeg E41E1E81-200A-47A5-A617-6DA4ADED08A9.jpeg

DaveF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Much better dusk and nighttime performance! This is a screen grab from just now, it’s dark outside right now.

9E9BCAD3-9782-4214-BDDD-74B3630C209F.jpeg

DaveF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I no longer recommend the Logitech Circle Doorbell. It doens't work in the sun. Mine is going offline most every morning now from overheating. In March. I assume it's going to be dead by July.

If you have an east or west facing home, or don't have trees or a shaded front door, this device is not for you.

Logitech Support is useless: all they say is that it doesn't work in direct sunlight and to shade it. Shade my doorbell? WTF?

I bought the end of December, so I fear I'm out of $200 and have a garbage video doorbell.

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Owner
Real Name
Dave Upton
Wow, that is despicable. Perhaps we should write an article about it on our blog as a PSA. If you want to throw some words together, i'll publish!

DaveF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I’m talking with support further. it’s possible I’ve got a failed unit unrelated to direct sunlight. Tech Support has not been technically helpful so far. They go straight to sunlight and tell me to invent a doorbell shade.

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Owner
Real Name
Dave Upton
You should mock up a hideous 3d printed version that obscures the camera, then call support back to report how stupid their suggestion was.

bedelman

Auditioning
Real Name
Bob Edelman
I've had the Logitech Circle View Doorbell since early December. Not only is direct sun an issue (my door faces due west), but the electrical connection doesn't use regular screw terminals -- instead it uses a set of pins on the rear of the doorbell unit that make contact with a set of plates inside the mount. It looked like I had a marginal contact because of this which then resulted in heat and scarring. I "sacrificed" the corresponding components from the angle mount which I don't use. I included a picture of those parts.

Logitech offered to replace my unit -- but only AFTER I send this one back and it's kinda working for now. I wanted to do an "advanced exchange" where I would put down a deposit (or something similar), but I've been told that they won't do that. I've never run into that with any electronics company before.

Now it's been going offline/online around 10 times or more at night. The logs show no "shutting down for critical temperature" events at those times (and it's at night). Not sure what's going on -- other HKSV cameras inside the home are working fine.

Attachments

• parts.jpg
    parts.jpg
    189.6 KB · Views: 15

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dummyo