What's new

Ridley Scott talks Alien 5 (1 Viewer)

andreasingo

Stunt Coordinator
Ridley have expressed interrest in making a prequel to Alien before. He said he was wanted to solve the mystery of the "space jockey" alien and possibly go back to the alien homeworld. If that movie ever gets made I'm in heaven as Alien is my favourite film.

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
I too think the first two movies were about Ripley and her plight against the aliens, not the other way around--- we felt for her. The third and fourth in the franchise, I just choose to refuse to acknowledge their very existance. Poor trash in comparison. I truly hated how they just threw away Newt and Hicks as so much rubbish in Alien3 just because the actors wouldn't reprise their roles (I think they understood how crappy the script was).

I also love Alien and to a slightly better extent Aliens (Sigourney Weaver was nominated for Best Actress in this role). The whole "motherhood" subplot (Ripley losing her only child to regain a new one through "Newt" and then becoming a protective and caring mother and overcoming her inner demons; then we meet the mother/Queen of the Aliens and she has protective instincts of her own) of Aliens was a brilliant twist by James Cameron.

The special effects of these so called "slim" budgeted movies (the first two) are FAR better than most of the CGI hokum we get today (ie Star Wars Ep 1-3, Harry Potter, Starship Troopers, etc.). Most of the model work is almost completely believable and the set designs were marvels. Stan Winston & Co. should have received friggin' medals for the creature effects in Aliens!! Very real and organic to me... and not a computer generated character in the lot!!

Dan

mark_d

Second Unit
I'd agree that there's no substitute (yet) for a quality set, but otherwise, Aliens didn't look good. An obvious matte of a hanger where the dropship is held, a dropship flight sequence that varies from looking like a model with a stick up it's ass having smoke blown at it, to a model suspended by (very briefly visible) wires over a complex but still very model looking base.

I would agree that it looked better than Alien3 with it's Last Starfigher quality CGI (although I prefer Alien3 as a movie over Aliens), but to be compared favourably to Starship Troopers? That is still the benchmark in my book for seamless combining of live action, modelwork and CGI.

I love Alien and Alien3, I find Aliens too irritating with it's fixation on military hardware and charicatures. I have to say that I used to think it was great, but I've gotten older and seen it way too many times. Alien Resurrection was a massive disappointment given the talent involved. I thought Winona Rider's character was laughable and the climactic whatever-the-hell-it-was hybrid monster at the end made me squirm with embarrasment.

Alien 5? No thanks. Let's try a new film without thought of it being a franchise starter. I think that's a bad way to kick off a project.

Mark

TheoGB

Screenwriter
I truly hated how they just threw away Newt and Hicks as so much rubbish in Alien3 just because the actors wouldn't reprise their roles (I think they understood how crappy the script was).
Is this what happened? At the time of Alien³

Rex Bachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rex Bachmann
Todd McF---

Quote:

There is just no mystery left in the Aliens - its a similiar scenario with Jurassic Park.

Jack Briggs---

Quote:

And unless Ridley Scott or whomever helms this ill-advised project plans to provide some explication regarding that acid-blooded species, forget it. By now, after four films, we should know where this monster comes from and how it got to be the way it is.

TheoGB---

Quote:

A fifth Alien movie is an interesting idea but it just won't work because it's too simplistic. The Alien has no depth - we know all about what it does and we know that essentially we're just getting another Jaws Sci-Fi film.

I'm no fan of sequels, especially sequels for sequels' sake, but IF a further Alien-film is to be made, let it NOT be a rehash of previous films in the series. There is indeed some mystery about the aliens. In every previous Alien-film it's been implied that the aliens have a human-like intelligence (turning off the lights in Aliens, dodging the initial furnace leadworks trap set for it in Alien 3 (Cubed?, "conspiring" to breach their prison by killing one of their own for acid in Alien: Resurrection), yet this has never been explored. If they do have such smarts, as clearly seems the case, what do they want? Just to kill? That’s both unsatisfactory and unbelievable. Most "animals" kill to feed or to defend offspring or territory. Are these creatures nothing but fearsome parasites? If they’re not just animals, what are they? And just where do they come from? In what kind of place could a species like this have evolved and thrived? (What species could thrive in such a place for them to feed on?)
Sigourny Weaver herself posed such questions in an interview published shortly after the release of Aliens, when asked about the possibility of a further sequel. Too bad they didn’t act along those lines, instead of along those of the last two sequels, which never should have been made.

So, if there's going to be another film the only compelling issues for me would be to explore the nature, origins, and "mission" of the aliens. Any further Alien-film the purpose and focus of which aren't to deepen and widen our knowledge of these creatures won't be worth the time, money, or film needed to turn it out.

steven duch

Auditioning
I liked all the Alien movies ,so bollocks to you critics,why dont you make something better.Alien 5,we should look for their homeworld and ripley is welcome.

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
To be fair Steven, most of us here have either come up with valid suggestions of where the series could go, or at least (in my case) discussing where the faults lie, and what elements did work. I think we've done a pretty good job of keeping the 'Resurrection sucked, plain and simple' to a minimum, really.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks