What's new

Ridley Scott talks Alien 5 (1 Viewer)

todd stone

Screenwriter
Ridley Scott Eyeing Alien 5?
Tuesday, January 15, 2002 9:02 CST
"Black Hawk Down" director Ridley Scott talked with Latino Review about his film, but also let slip what may be on his plate.
He says he will decide on his next project within 5 weeks. Asked whether he is interested in doing "Alien 5" or "Captain Kidd," Scott says, "I'm looking at 'Alien 5' sure why not maybe. There hasn't been a good Pirate Movie either, so I haven't decided yet. It's in the works."
What about the third "Star Wars" prequel? "You know its funny you asked, but that is just too much George Lucas for me to handle."
http://comingsoon.net/cgi-bin/archiv...1106943,91042,

Peter Kim

Screenwriter
You know its funny you asked, but that is just too much George Lucas for me to handle.
:D This coming from the crown prince of megalomaniacs. GL being the King. But he's right...two creative egos these sizes would never get anything accomplished. Although it would have been nice to see another visionary and not just another GL cookie-cutter disciple manning the helm.
Thanks Todd, for this and the Tom Cruise scoop.
Edit: Oh, and to get on topic, I hope he does another Alien. I just cannot get enough of that stuff. Although 4 was a disappointment (despite Winona's valiant efforts to save it), I still loved all of them. 1 and 3 being my favorites, followed by 2 then 4. I didn't know whether to laugh or cringe at the alien spawn in 4.

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
"You know its funny you asked, but that is just too much George Lucas for me to handle."
So, can I be the first to wildly speculate about how this might mean that he is already up for some Lucas-related action? Goodness knows what though; THX-1139 hardly seems likely.

KDHM

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kim Donald Houde-Martens
What I have always loved about the alien films is that each of them has been made by an up and coming director and Fox has always come thru with someone with a long string of hits to follow, as much as I like Scott's work I would much rather see the next Scott-Cameron-Fincher-Jeunet then someone that has already visited the alien world. But as an after thought I would love to see four short films together about the Aliens by each of the original directors. "Alien Revisited"

kd

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
What I find funny is why the interviewer even saw fit to ask him about Episode III. Scott has nothing to do with that, and everyone under the sun already knows they've started preproduction and that Lucas will be directing. Why Scott would even think that Lucas would ask him to do it anyway ius curious. As for megalomaniacs, I don't know either one so I can't say.

Todd McF

Second Unit
At the risk of sounding like a troll, it seems obvious: He asked Scott about Episode III because he probably thinks GL is taking Star Wars to sucksville.

Tom-G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
The only relation that Scott has to Lucas/Star Wars is that Scott said that Star Wars was a big influence in his decision to direct Alien.

Scott and Lucas are very similar directors in that they both use fantastic visuals.

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
Well, I didn't expect any less from you Todd. And I don't think he's taking it too suckville at all. And considering that Lucas was the one that made Star Wars great, I don't care why he would ask.

Marvin Richardson

Supporting Actor
Good lord. How do we manage to make every thread in this place Star Wars related?
I hope he does Alien 5. Maybe they can end the series with a bang. As much as I love Fincher's films, he wasn't exactly working with an earth-shattering premise in Alien 3. He made the best movie he could given the retread of the first movie that he got for a script. Resurrection was a mess, and I'd like to forget about it. Winona Ryder is always good in a movie though. She's a great actress and very easy on the eyes.
htf_images_smilies_yum.gif

Peter Kim

Screenwriter
Kim, you touched on an excellent point. The list of Alien directors were essentially in the nascent stages of their careers or used the Alien saga as a platform to gain wider audience recognition. In that sense, the producer or whoever chose the previous director wins the medal for being a heckuva talent scout.

I'd still like to see a Scott-helmed 5. It would be interesting to see how Scott and his Alien-vision have evolved in the 20 years (?) since Alien. A concentric full circle with the director and the story line.

As for megalomaniacs, I don't know either one so I can't say.
When a hammer is thrown up in the air, do you need to witness the descent to know that it falls back to the ground?

These directors are notorious egos, evident in the way they craft their films. Additionally, perhaps in not so few words, they both have stated the need for complete autonomy and control.

Which is not necessarily a bad thing. To the contrary, I believe that the of the greatest visionaries are megalomaniacs. They have absolute faith in their vision and cannot accept any compromise.

It's kinda like the parable where the nice guy doesn't get the girl - he's too wishy-washy and vanilla. It's the bad boy who exudes complexity and depth.

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
Well Marvin, because in this thread they directly mention Star Wars. As for Alien, I thought the last two were just plain bad. Alien III was terrible and Alien IV was even worse. But that's just me. However, Alien and Aliens were the best. I loved both. But I loved Aliens best. Hopefully, Scott can get us back to the first two, if he directs.
Not a big deal Todd, but it's obvious that was your thinking as well. Since you don't care for the prequels as obvious many of your posts. But again, no big deal.:)

Todd McF

Second Unit
"Good lord. How do we manage to make every thread in this place Star Wars related?"
I think Terrell has an automated web scraper looking for Star Wars and Lucas references :)
I'm game for an Alien 5, but I fear we will be kicking the dead horse once again. The franchise is in shambles after A4, so I suppose no harm can be done. I was *not* impressed by that A5 opening scene script fragment floating around the net recently.

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
Did anyone see the name Star Wars and Lucas in the original post? Obviously not. And obviously Todd you didn't see the two posters before me make reference about the Star Wars comment. So don't blame me for changing the subject, which nobody did.:)

Peter Kim

Screenwriter
To further elaborate...

George Lucas was the man's man back in the time. He bucked the studios and Hollywood with his vision and tenacity back in the day, which ultimately made him a billionaire. You could see this quality imbued in his first films - i.e., American Graffiti, THX 1138, and SW and ESB. I truly admired him during this era.

Then he hit fatherhood and family values and most importantly, got old and lost his edge. He got too comfortable with his success.

I believe Ridley Scott still is the maverick he was before. He still looks to be every bit of the crotchety old man that won't accept anyone else's way.

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
Back on Alien 5, I'm all for sci-fi films and fantasy films, but I don't see much point for a 5th Aliens. The last two were horrible, and the series has run it's course.

George Monroy

Stunt Coordinator
I want to see a full scale invasion of one of the Aliens homeworlds if indeed they travel in space if not then just the alien homeworld. They could end it with maybe 20 aliens stowing away somewhere showing that they weren't wiped out or something. I want an epic battle of marine versus Aliens. I also want an epic Aliens versus Predator movie sometime this decade. I want so much but it is very little if you think about it right?

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, I thought the last two were terrible, and completely a different tone from the first two films.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks