What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Rick and Morty - Season 3 (Adult Swim) (1 Viewer)

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
I've really been enjoying this season.

My only disappointment was that for some reason I thought it was going to be 13 episodes and I was sad to learn that next week's episode 10 is the season finale.

I want more.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
^ Yeah, Dan said they were aiming for 14 episodes this season, but due to various BTS creative conflicts (including, allegedly, Dan and Justin fighting with each other), scripts were delayed, and it was ultimately decided to cut the season down to 10 episodes just to get the show out the door and onto the airwaves in a timely fashion.

Also:

"Haha, you heard your dad, Morty -- you have to leave school! Wait...what are my values??"

GORGONSHIT

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Fan-fucking-tastic end to a fucking fantastic season. This episode kinda squared off a lot of the existentialist rough edges built up through the season.

Loved that the finale was the family getting back together essentially throwing Rick's nihilistic worldview right back at him. It didn't matter if he left or stayed, because, as Beth said, there were already infinite numbers of universes with infinite numbers of outcomes to that particular situation.

So, Rick saying "fuck it" and staying as the whole show resets to the first-season status quo is him, well, losing. Rick's face as he realizes Beth is right was priceless. He knew he was fucked over by his own logic.

Also loved that they made the President a sorta-Obama/Trump hybrid, because come on, no one would've bought Trump going one-on-one against Rick.** Loved that Jerry won by being Jerry, that the kids are happy, that Beth being a clone or not doesn't matter, and that everything's back to normal...just to have us wait endlessly to see what happens with Evil Morty.

The perfect episode to troll the fanbase with until next season.

** Adored the reveal that the President and the USA have advanced (but not Rick-level) crazy tech, and that it's all part of a dick-measuring contest between the President and Rick over a stupid issue of egos.

Last edited:

WillG

Senior HTF Member
I've really been enjoying this season.

My only disappointment was that for some reason I thought it was going to be 13 episodes and I was sad to learn that next week's episode 10 is the season finale.

I want more.

I hate that all the cable shows just decided at some point that a standard season would only be 10 eps when it used to be 13. Only 10 eps a year (or longer) for shows like South Park, Archer (which actually only did EIGHT this year) Sunny and R&M just don't seem like enough. It's not as bad for the hour long dramas like Better Call Saul and Fargo and I like how an episode is however long it needs to be instead of being shoehorned into an hour time slot.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
A brand-new, heartfelt Thanksgiving look into the life of Mr. Poopybutthole:

(Also note that we see that shot of Mr. Poopybutthole "proposing" from the "Morty's Mindblowers" episode, except this time it's the future Mrs. Poopybutthole in front of the fountain instead of Morty.)

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Writer/producer Ryan Ridley revealing in a podcast interview that "no work" has work has yet begun on Rick & Morty Season 4, and the show may not air again until late 2019:

"I know how long the show takes to write, never mind animate, so I'd be surprised if there was a fourth season on the air any time sooner than late 2019.

"They really take their time. I never understood why everybody -- all parties, Dan, Justin, and Adult Swim -- didn't get their shit together, and make the show fast. I just don't get it. It doesn't make any sense to me. I'm sure they all have their reasons."

Quoting Morty himself, Ridley finished:

"Get your shit together, you guys -- get it all together and put it in a backpack."

http://www.detroitcast.com/interview/ryan-ridley-writer-producer/

Hopefully that's enough time for the truly-awful fans (we're talking the ones who rioted over Szechuan sauce, as well as the outright misogynists) to lose interest and latch onto some other show.

Last edited:

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Season 3 coming to BD on May 15th (one day after my birthday, so this'll be a nice present):

xiyweqc.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079PDJSNL

Special features:

Rick and Morty: Season 3 – 10 x 22 MINUTE EPISODES:
"The Rickshank Rickdemption"
"Rickmancing the Stone"
"Pickle Rick"
"Vindicators 3: The Return of the Worldender"
"The Whirly Dirly Conspiracy"
"Rest and Ricklaxation"
"The Ricklantis Mixup"
"Morty's Mind Blowers"
"The ABC's of Beth"
"The Rickchurian Mortydate"

Special Features:
Exclusive Commentary for every episode, including guest commentary from the show's voice talent such as Chris Parnell (Jerry) and celebrities like John Mayer
Exclusive Animatics for ALL 10 episodes
"Inside the Episode" for each episode
Origins of Rick and Morty
Exclusive "Inside the Recording Booth"
Bring it. This season was the best one yet.

(Also, LOL at John Mayer doing a guest-commentary track.)

Last edited:

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
An article in Newsweek reveals why the show hasn't yet been renewed for Season 4 -- contract negotiations:

"The reason we're not working on Rick and Morty right now ain't because I figured out that I don't need to impress you. It's because of a little something called contract negotiations, and it's gotten complicated this time around." Rick and Morty Season 4 isn't cancelled, but the ongoing negotiations with Turner Broadcasting Systems suggest a season renewal isn't yet imminent.

Rick and Morty was renewed for its third season just a few episodes into Season 2. The same is not the case for Season 4. Rick and Morty hasn’t had a new episode since October 2017, and there still hasn’t been a peep about the show's future. The only update came from Dan Harmon last week, when the Rick and Morty co-creator revealed on Twitter that Season 4 “hasn’t been ordered by a network.” On Thursday, after a wave of rumors that Rick and Morty was cancelled, both Harmon and co-creator Justin Roiland offered more of an explanation behind the Season 4 release date limbo.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
The fact that this gigantic order will bring the series to almost exactly 100 episodes (101) tells me that Adult Swim is looking ahead at syndication, and is confident enough in the show's success to commit to hitting that threshold.

I'm assuming 70 episodes breaks down to seven seasons. And at the rate the show has been produced thus far, Rick and Morty will be around for at least another decade. Sounds like the Venture Brothers-model, with seasons spaced out every 3-4 years. Frustrating, but if they maintain quality, a good move.

Last edited:

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I'm assuming 70 episodes breaks out to seven seasons. And at the rate the show has been produced thus far, Rick and Morty will be around for at least another decade. Sounds like the Venture Brothers-model, with seasons spaced out every 3-4 years. Frustrating, but if they maintain quality, a good move.
I wouldn't be surprised if it's slightly more frequent than every 3 years. One of the big holdups up until now has been how long it's taken Cartoon Network to renew the series each time. With a 70 episode pickup, they should be able to start work on the next season more or less immediately after they've completed work on the previous season.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
I don’t know if this has been in one of the Rick and Morty threads already, but if it was I missed it. This is a real transcript from a real hearing, animated and voiced by the Rick and Morty team. It’s wild stuff.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Dan Harmon reveals why the Season 4 renewal took so long in a great new piece at GQ :

It was a curious scenario to be sure, as Rick and Morty was arguably Adult Swim's biggest success ever, and Harmon and Roiland seemed happy to keep making the show. As the mystery grew, Adult Swim finally announced that not only had Rick and Morty been renewed for Season 4, but they had ordered a whopping 70 new episodes of the series, with Harmon and Roiland signing an overall deal to keep them involved with the show for years to come.

But what took so long, and why did they all agree to greenlight so many episodes at once? As part of an engrossing and insightful profile of Harmon for GQ, the former Community showrunner explained why the Season 4 renewal was delayed, and it turns out that 70 episode order was just what Harmon and Roiland had in mind.

(Warning: Just be prepared to massively wince the moment your eyes behold the image atop the article...)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prexhobby
Recent bookmarks