1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Rick and Morty - Season 4 (Adult Swim)

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Adam Lenhardt, Jul 19, 2019.

1. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

Previous threads:
    Season 1
    Season 2
    Season 3

Returns in November for 10 episodes. They just released this from the upcoming season:

They are rolling directly into production on the fifth season as a result of the 70-episode order they received, so the break between seasons three and four should be the longest one the show has.

2. joshEH

joshEH Producer

Josh
    New trailer:

Kinda sucks that we've waited for two whole years and all we're getting initially is a measly five new episodes. Very likely a split due to the holidays. Still, great to have this back again.

Adam Lenhardt and Sean Bryan like this.
  3. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

Looks awesome. I believe that Season 4 is a full ten episodes, and Cartoon Network is just choosing to air in two halves.

Jeff Loveness recently left the show, and he posted a photo of the five scripts he wrote or co-wrote:
    RickAndMorty_S04_001.
    This photo tells us two things:
    1. There are at least eight episodes in Season 4, since he's a writer on 4x08.
    2. The production rolled right into production on Season 5, rather than the usual lengthy delay between seasons.

joshEH likes this.
  4. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    I hope that's the case, as the creators said a few months back that Season 4 was essentially complete and they were already working on Season 5. I'd hate to think they were lying to the fans.

5. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

Season 4 premieres tomorrow at 11:30.

Here's the latest iteration of the title sequence:

joshEH likes this.
  6. Message #6 of 14 Nov 10, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2019
    joshEH

joshEH Producer

Josh
    I rarely get my expectations met. This episode blew my already-sky-high expectations right out of the water. Such a step up from Season 3, which was already extraordinary. Right away, in the first four minutes, this show reminds me why I love it, exploring a rare SF-concept in a way that hasn't been seen before. As in, Rick dying.

Where to begin?

- Rick gets torn apart by Hulk Squanchy in one possible future-timeline.

- Death Crystals sorta = Time Crystals on Star Trek: Discovery. ("They show you when the other guys are reloading," LOL.)

- "You're thinking of bullets."

- "GODDAMMIT, WHEN DID THIS SHIT BECOME THE DEFAULT???"

- Oh damn, Nazi Morty is us. Asking for the same old shit. AND THEN NAZI SHRIMPS

- "This is the last conversation I'm having about it fully-clothed."

- AN UNSTOPPABLE SCIENCE-FICTION BOY

And, of course:

- The police officers calling the standoff "[an] Akira-type situation."

It only took 770 days, but this show is fricking BACK.

WillG likes this.
  7. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

This was the first episode directed by Erica Hayes, who storyboarded some of the best episodes from the first three seasons.

It's interesting that Mike McMahan is the credited writer, given the photo of five scripts above. A credit change, or an episode ordering change? This certainly felt like a season premiere.

Morty committing mass murder by following the crystal, and then getting exonerated both in the legal system and in the court of public opinion by following the crystal, was just a brilliant sequence of events. And then the punchline in the post-credits scene of what the death Morty was seeing actually meant.

Rick and Morty totally Sweet Dee-ed Summer at the end.

WillG likes this.
  8. Hanson

Hanson Producer

Hanson
    This might be the most batshit crazy episode of the series. The entire Wasp Rick dinner scene was simultaneously repulsive and hilarious. By the time Holo Rick became corporeal, I was like, "this is so fucking off the rails!" The entire thing just blew me away. Worth several rewatches.

Kirkland Meeseeks!

9. Message #9 of 14 Nov 12, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2019
    Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    They should be excellent, considering how long it's taken them to come up with just five new episodes.

I'll be dead before they fulfill this order for 70 eps, though I have some doubts that it will EVER be fulfilled. I can see them getting about halfway then just quitting.

10. Hanson

Hanson Producer

Hanson
    IMDB lists a total of 10 episodes for season 4. Hopefully, it doesn't take two years to air all ten.

11. joshEH

joshEH Producer

Josh
    ^ Harmon and Roiland said that the second half of the season should air immediately after the winter break ends, probably starting in January.

12. Message #12 of 14 Nov 17, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2019
    joshEH

joshEH Producer

Josh
    ...When you hear Sam Neill's voice.

There is nothing more in this world I want than to shit on Rick's toilet. My God, it's like The Matrix for pooping. One thing that occurs to me is that the other guy lost his wife to cancer. We know Rick lost his wife, but we don't know how. Maybe she died of cancer too, and that's part of the emotional pull for him, here.

A strong gutpunch of an ending on two fronts:
    1. Rick was only sad the guy died, because it meant he couldn't punish him anymore.
    2. Jerry's perfect life is as a Culligan Man (or rather a MOUNTAIN SWEAT-man).
    Good episode, with a solid mix of the episodic-stuff from Seasons 1 and 2 and the longform storytelling of Season 3. That said, I think this episode probably would have worked better with more of the Morty-and-Jerry-storyline and less of the Summer-storyline. Too bad they didn't try that. This show is often at its best when Jerry is out of his element and interacting with aliens.

And other great stuff:

- I love Jerry's three whole seconds of willpower with Rick's intern.

- ''...Just kidding, have some drugs.''

- Looks like we found Crocubot's homeworld in this episode! And Rick's robot-disguise is literally a funnel on his head with a QR-code. And the QR-code on Rick’s hat sends you to the online store, where it's on sale – LMAO.

- http://www.lovefinderrz.com/

- "Ah, you're right...she joined ISIS" absolutely slayed me.

- When you die without friends, only your enemies send flowers.

(Also, Rick's daughter desperately needs to take some hang-gliding lessons from her pops...)

13. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

I hope that "Rick and Morty" doesn't go down the "Simpsons" road with celebrities guest starring as themselves. "Elon Tusk" was weak sauce.

The one note episodes aren't my favorite, even when they wring this much inventiveness out of that one note.

Rick's response to the disapproving convention attendees was magnificent, however. “Your boos mean nothing, I see what makes you cheer!”

14. Message #14 of 14 Nov 28, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2019
    WillG

WillG Lead Actor

You don’t see what a slippery slope that is?

Judge’s wife calls her husband Condor to her Sparrow.

Nancy Grace parody: “We also have the court of public opinion which has Final say in this country”

didn’t realize at first there was a post credits scene.......poor Morty