What's new

Rick and Morty - Season 3 (Adult Swim) (1 Viewer)

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Holy shit.

Wow.

Should I just be expecting this show to be divine-genius now? I don't like to set the bar that high, but I was actually kinda hesitant about the second season living up to the first. And then was sure the third would go up its own ass somehow. But this season is absolutely legendary television.

Biggest continuity-laugh was probably: "You DO know me..."

Last edited:

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
And Beth taped a horse over Jerry in their wedding-photo...

o2fxq663neiz.png

Good to see photos of Snuffles Snowball still abound...

Last edited:

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
"Morty, he's not gonna donate. You're pitching the Policemen's Ball to a black teenager, here."

Wow.

I knew something like this would happen, but GODDAMN. That was a hell of an episode. It'd be a very Rick & Morty thing to handwave this turn of events, but I hope they turn it into a full-on arc, which is something the show hasn't had in a while. The Simple Rick heartwarming-moment-turned-cookie-commercial was total genius.

The whole performance-aspect was just another layer of insane brilliance. Here's something else to chew on -- this episode somehow layers a Stand By Me coming-of-age parody into a Falling Down/Dog Day Afternoon hostage-thriller parody into a A Face In The Crowd political-allegory parody into a Training Day gritty cop-drama, in between the goofy bookend-scenes, all with a cast of two characters. And the fact that this is coherent at all is stunning. That it is top-to-bottom hilarious is incredible. And that it is actually kind of thoughtful about the attendant social/political/racial underpinnings of all those tropes is phenomenal.

It's been building up to something like this since we first learned of the Multi-Ricks back in Season 1. Have a feeling this is gonna have a large impact on the season finale.

(They make a really on-the-nose remark at the end about the Council never, ever affecting their lives again, so of course it's going to affect their lives again.)

Also:

MERMAID PUSS

Last edited:

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
The Simple Rick heartwarming-moment-turned-cookie-commercial was total genius.
The follow-up was even better:
[Sam Elliott narration voice] "There's a Rick that held a factory hostage after murdering his boss and several co-workers. The factory made cookies, flavored them with lies. He made us all take a look at what we were doin', and in the bargain he got a taste of real freedom. We captured that taste, and we keep givin' it to him, so he can give it right back to you in every bite of Simple Rick's Freedom Wafers Select. Come home to the unique flavor of shattering the grand illusion. Come home, to Simple Rick's."

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
The follow-up was even better:
[Sam Elliott narration voice] "There's a Rick that held a factory hostage after murdering his boss and several co-workers. The factory made cookies, flavored them with lies. He made us all take a look at what we were doin', and in the bargain he got a taste of real freedom. We captured that taste, and we keep givin' it to him, so he can give it right back to you in every bite of Simple Rick's Freedom Wafers Select. Come home to the unique flavor of shattering the grand illusion. Come home, to Simple Rick's."
And Jeff B. Davis has done his Sam Elliott impression for "other" commercials, too.

Just realized that other than that voice-impression, this episode featured absolutely zero other voice-actors at all whatsoever. And the fact that this entire episode was Justin playing OFF of himself for the entire duration was stupidly brilliant. And he brought nuance to almost every new version.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
And the fact that this entire episode was Justin playing OFF of himself for the entire duration was stupidly brilliant. And he brought nuance to almost every new version.
Absolutely, Justin was brilliant. The character design work was also incredible. One of the design cleanup artists, Sabrina Mati, posted her designs for some of the Mortys and Ricks for this episode:
http://sabrinamati.tumblr.com/post/165270134355/here-are-two-mortys-i-designed-and-turned
http://sabrinamati.tumblr.com/post/165270052925/here-are-all-the-ricks-i-did-for-sundays

John Lee_275604

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John Lee
And Jeff B. Davis has done his Sam Elliott impression for "other" commercials, too.

Just realized that other than that voice-impression, this episode featured absolutely zero other voice-actors at all whatsoever. And the fact that this entire episode was Justin playing OFF of himself for the entire duration was stupidly brilliant. And he brought nuance to almost every new version.

Immigrant KE-tchuuuuu-eyy-uppp

John Lee_275604

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John Lee
this episode somehow layers a Stand By Me coming-of-age parody into a Falling Down/Dog Day Afternoon hostage-thriller parody into a A Face In The Crowd political-allegory parody into a Training Day gritty cop-drama, in between the goofy bookend-scenes, all with a cast of two characters.

I was particularly fond of the brief Officer and a Gentleman [early Simpsons] homage when Terrorist Rick walked the assembly line to cheers.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
LL

You know, this episode makes me think that Evil Morty™ is probably Rick's original Morty, that he abandoned or believed got killed before the series started.

The thing that really got me was the original recipe of the Rick Cookies.

It cemented that none of all the infinite Ricks is really truly happy, and they get that feeling from harvesting the basic happiness of the one Rick who actually stayed a dad to Beth and didn't choose science...and even more disturbing, they probably abducted that Rick from his happy life and hooked him up to that machine...which means that even Happy Rick also ended up abandoning his daughter, in a sense.

That is supremely fucked-up.

And Jaded Cop Morty™ is one of the greatest jokes this show has ever done. ("Same old story. Mortys killing Mortys.")

That's the most minor of points about this insane, audacious episode. This is an entire episode where Rick and Morty are the only characters, but none of them are our Rick or Morty, and it's somehow also this sprawling cast of new characters and Dickensian look at an entire society are established and dissected within 22 minutes.

It's absolutely mindboggling that that setup is even comprehensible, but what they do with it is just incredibly bold, and as usual, totally on-point in its vivisection of narrative tropes and consistently, shockingly hilarious. Just the scene where Jaded Cop Morty™ "talks Morty" with the graffiti artists is jawdropping.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
The greatness-train keeps on rolling. This is probably the hardest I've laughed yet this season.

"...Moon or not, that dude likes 'em
YOUNG."

"I don't use color to sort things, because I'm not a mouse in a European children's book!"

"You fucked with squirrels, Morty! We have five minutes to pack up and move to a new reality, Morty!!"

For some reason, Morty having to vomit out the possession-worm, and his family's inability to keep the love flowing, absolutely slayed me.

(Will we ever get backstory on Mr. Poopybutthole proposing marriage to Morty???)

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
I feel like I'm taking crazy-pills, because I'm the only one who caught what was a pretty big reveal? Or maybe I am just crazy? But Summer's, "I don't get paid enough for this shit" and "That's why you're always behind schedule" didn't read as just jokes to me. To me, they read like Summer's...in on something? Bigger than Rick and Morty? But that can't be, right?

Maybe it's just me connecting dots, like Summer not existing in other realities, or maybe gearing up for another big twist in the next episode like, "Beth never had a daughter," but..."Behind schedule?" What schedule? Just a meta-joke about the creators being behind schedule? (Rumor is that the reason Season 3 took so long was due to Roiland and Harmon apparently fighting with each other behind the scenes.)

Or maybe she's on the Squirrels' payroll. ("Little boy! If you can hear us, we'll grant you wishes!")

The fan-theory I think is actually true is that protagonist-Morty is not protagonist-Rick's original "Morty" -- Evil Morty is. Since Rick stated that he had done the "move to a different dimension"-thing before, that means he did so without "protagonist" Morty, as he had to explain that to him in the episode.

Also, when Rick was captured by Evil Rick and cries when he sees his memories of Child Morty, he then isn't crying because of affection, but because of guilt or something else, as he is remembering HIS Morty. Rick is supposedly the "Rickiest Rick," and Morty the "Mortiest Morty"...but that was Rick's explanation; he could easily come from a dimension were his original Morty was the "Rickiest Morty," i.e., Evil Morty.

Rick has bailed on versions of his family before, but for some reason, he sticks with this Morty, no matter what.

Another thing I loved about the post-credits scene was that Jerry's mistakes are kept on floppy disks and read by a less-techy helmet...and that he seems to be the character with the "lesser" personal mistakes, since he just had a couple disks in a box.

Which makes sense, since Jerry is pretty much the most rational member of the cast -- sure, he is pathetic, but he still was the only one who actually recognized that Rick was a clear danger to the family and tried to get rid of him, plus his weak nature means he doesn't generally get into too many adventures or situations.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
"Hi, Beth!! You've gotten taller! Shall we resume stabbing??"

"Dad, you just got handed an
ex machina -- YUH TAKIN' IT"

Wow, the most fucked episode of the season, probably. And I thought the resolution of Beth's story was terrific SF writing. Call this one another masterpiece.

I love that they didn't tell us what Beth's decision was. It's not only possible, but indeed likely that the Beth Morty and Summer came home to is the clone that Rick told her he could make. Yeah, I think there were hints all along that Beth was just as nihilistic and evil as Rick all along, but in R&M's world, being evil is merely being aware that nothing matters, that the universe doesn't care about anything, and that you should be free to fight back and enjoy yourself.

And I love how most of what we already know about Beth folds neatly into the sociopath-revelation, like her job as a horse surgeon being essentially a socially-acceptable way for her to keep cutting up animals. I always thought that horse-hoof sculpture she made was pretty fucking creepy.

I think that Final Beth is a clone, simply because the show thrives on traumatizing Morty and Summer, and having it revealed that she abandoned them to pursue her own path is just too juicy for the show to ignore in the future. I also think the show is slowly building up to the reveal that Morty is the sole Rick-less member of the family -- Beth is just like Rick, Summer has shown the same tendencies, but Morty has always been the one in need of outside pushes or influences to act like Rick.

Hell, it would make absolute sense if the "Morty is not this Rick's original Morty, but Evil Morty is"; the Mortiest Morty would obviously be what the Rickiest Rick would search for as a buddy in order to keep himself reined in.

(Also: OMG, Jen Hale on Rick & Morty!)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks