What's new

Rick and Morty - Season 3 (Adult Swim) (1 Viewer)

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Finally!

We got to see the first espisode on April 1st this year, but it has been a long wait for the season to officially start.

It's back on July 30th

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
RickAndMorty_S03_001.jpg

"Soooo… lots of hookers outside, huh?"
''Is that what they are?"

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Pickle Rick was great! Holy crap was his rat massacre ultra violent! Maybe even more so than last week's episode. Rick's violence here was definitely cathartic, like Morty last episode.

I just saw this great YouTube video. I wasn't sure if I should post it here or in the Doctor Strange thread. But I think the Rick and Morty thread is where it belongs. Enjoy.

meehan8381

Auditioning
Real Name
meehan
What do you mean Shonees?
I think you mean McDonalds.....How else you gonna get that Szechuan sauce?

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Pickle Rick was great! Holy crap was his rat massacre ultra violent! Maybe even more so than last week's episode. Rick's violence here was definitely cathartic, like Morty last episode.

"What more do you want me to tack on, here? I turned myself into a pickle, and 9/11 was an inside-job??"

I'm so very glad that this is back. Robot Morty's desire to live and "run in a stream" was hilarious, and just a tiny bit heart-breaking. And I was delighted by the repeated use of the term "Deathstalkers."

Summer also sure got a great episode, here. Her reaction to Hemmorhage's moustache was perfection.

"What's the matter, bro, never seen your family burned in front of you? Hahaha, I'm going to whip you now."

(And that whispering "loooooooooossseeerrrrrr" is some weird shit, even for this show.)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Rick going on a bender, defeating the Thanos-level ubervillain on his own and then setting up a Saw-style torture game that progresses until his excessive alcohol consumption causes him to shit his pants in epic fashion. Wow. Just wow.

Also, apparently Morty's gotten fairly skilled at defusing neutrino bombs.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Looks like you have a new fan, Adam!

After watching some of the bluray episodes of season 1 and 2, I was taken by how much the uncensored profanity added to my enjoyment of the show. I watched the Amazon streaming version of Vindicators (it's rated TV-MA for language), and the quality of the profanity is top shelf. I highly recommend it.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Pickle Rick is... not atypical per se, but definitely not the episode that representative of the series. If I were to show someone what the show is about, the season premiere is a great way to start.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Pickle Rick is... not atypical per se, but definitely not the episode that representative of the series. If I were to show someone what the show is about, the season premiere is a great way to start.
It wasn't the pickling but the violence that dissuaded me. (I started on Ep 3 only because that was the first one I'd recorded.)

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Pickle Rick was probably the most violent episode of the series, but there are quite a few that aren't that far behind. But there are also a bunch of episodes without as much bloodshed (the season premiere is... not one of them). The Ricks Must Be Crazy (season 2 episode 6) is my pick for the embodiment of what this show is about. It's a masterpiece.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
The first season is a good way to ease into the show, because its episodes are pretty uniform in structure if not content: Rick and Morty go on a crazy adventure in the A plot, while Beth, Summer and Jerry have a domestic storyline in the B plot.

I would second Hanson's assertion that "Pickle Rick" was the most violent episode of the series.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
It wasn't the pickling but the violence that dissuaded me. (I started on Ep 3 only because that was the first one I'd recorded.)

Try starting with season one episode one instead of starting with season three episode three. That might help you actually get into the show?

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I'll keep that in mind to possibly try again in the future. I see why people are into it. But it's not what I'm looking for at present. Bob's Burgers is filling my "Adult Swim" cravings I think. I probably want to find some Samurai Jack reruns or maybe some anime series I've never watched; or maybe another rewatch of Futurama. :)

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
So I watched a couple of these, including Pickle Rock. Not particularly gut wrenchingly funny, but not bad. Basically, a parody mash-up of Doctor Who and Back to the Future.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Dammit, I wanted to see more adventures of Crocubot...

God, the whole thing about Rick drunkenly ranting about Israel was amazing.

"I have no stake in this..."

I wouldn't trade Rick's alcoholic nihilistic shitbag-attitude for anything in the world.

I don't care that the characters are all broken in some capacity, and that family is so completely toxic. 'Cause I don't watch the show for moral-compass adjustments. I watch it so I can see a Phantom Train guy played by Lance Reddick accuse his collapsing-star wife of cheating with a sentient ant-colony before exploding.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I remember in the second episode of the series, Summer had a throwaway line "This is why I choose to get Cs." At the time, I thought it was just a millennial spindoctoring her own mediocrity, but now I'm pretty sure that she knows every answer to every test and carefully calibrates her performance to ensure C grades. Seeing her casually peruse Rick's laboratory, find exactly the device she needed, and operate it without even momentary confusion is just the latest example of her being the closest person in the family to Rick-level smart.

Unfortunately she's also a hormonal teenage girl, upset about getting rejected by a guy, rushing the operation of a dangerous and powerful device, heedless of the consequences.

Morty is nowhere close to Rick-level smart. It takes him most of the episode to figure out a machine that Summer deciphered more or less instantaneously. But unlike his sister, he respected the technology. Unlike his mother, he was aware of the potential for unforeseen consequences. He spends most of the episode playing catch up, but when he finally does take action he's operating with full situational awareness. And at that point, he's as devious and ruthless as Rick.

Rick is an alcoholic nihilistic sociopath, but he's helping mold his grandchildren into really interesting (albeit not emotionally healthy) people.

The moment when the little alien child shoots his sister just after the immortality field goes down may have topped that moment in "The Ricks Must Be Crazy" where the ship's defensive measures creates a facsimile of the police officer's dead son that quickly proceeds to dissolve into a pinkish goo in his arms.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
LL

That was goddamn fantastic. Christ, just about everything in that episode killed me like a little alien girl.

"I want a cookie. And a 90-minute cut of Avatar."

The thing is...I really felt bad for Jerry in this episode. Unlike Cyril on Archer, who is essentially the same character, there's enough humanity in Jerry that you do hope he makes it out okay. Even if he is a complete coward.

Yeah, Rick's not an evil person. But it's that whole weaponized victim-attitude of his, where he's always feeling sorry for himself and not doing much to better himself. I've known emotional vampires like that in real life, and it's an attitude that really gets to me. They WANT you to feel sorry for them, 'cause that generates sympathy that they can then exploit further.

Rick needs a comeuppance...and I think Jerry needs a win, too.

BUT! He was committed to bettering himself by the end which, I did like. And I think Rick might very well get said comeuppance by the end of the season. Probably by way of Evil Morty.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks