What's new

RG6 component video run questions: (1 Viewer)

Kenneth Harden

Screenwriter
Right now, I have a 'good' 27" JVC TV that requires a ~15-20 foot cable run (over a door), and I did it with a very good Dayton S-video cable (Monster ripoff with 99% of the results)

However, now that I am smarter, I realize that I can use RG6 as component video cables and am thinking about running 3 strands for that use. I work at a electronics store and can get pre-terminated 25' pieces of RG6 for very cheap. Will those work? Also, I need converters to go from coax (for satellite installs) to RCA plugs, who sells those?

I will eventually get a better TV, and really need to do this run for that. Should I go for it? This should cost me less than $25 for everything - it is just a matter of doing it.

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
You can get adapters; I'd look to see if you could get ends you could retrofit on.. I'm really opposed to 'F' connectors out of general principles, and adapters are never the best solution. (Often times they aren't bad, but...)

Rat Shack may have adapters; otherwise you may need to go to someone like Markertek or Full Compass for adapters... might not be a bad thing, anyway.. Markertek sells Neutrik and Switchcraft; both reputable brands.

Leo KErr

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Kenneth, here’s what you want:

They’re about $4.30 each at the Shack, so a full set will set you back another $30 or so with TT&L. If you don’t want to spring for the gold they also have a cheaper one for half that price.

Leo, just curious, “on general principals,” what’s your objection to “F” connectors for this application? Inquiring minds want to know! :)

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
regards "F" connectors.

Most F-connectors I've encountered use the core of the RG-59 or RG-6 as the actual contact point. Now, granted, with Belden Digital Brilliance RG-6 with a solid core AWG-16 for a center conductor, that is a little different. But when you're hoping for a solid connection with a little dinky strand of RG-59 into (often) a fairly large 'socket,' to me, that's hoping for too much. And most commonly available 'F' connectors; sockets and female-female unions, are of fairly poor quality.

RCA ends aren't guaranteed hideous, but they're certaintly a pain to make up properly (unless you've got a nice RCA coax crimper.)

My preferred video fitting is the BNC. Too bad most consumer stuff doesn't use it.

I'd also sort of prefer, if you need to use a 'single connector' for VGA-like signals, I'd rather not use the HD-15. Anyone familiar with the 13W3 connector? Though I'll admit that this is purely a matter of 'snob appeal'; I've never really had any serious problems with an HD-15 connection.

Leo Kerr
[email protected]

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Thanks, Leo, great information! So it makes sense that RG-6 would definitely be a better choice because it has a thicker center conductor.

If you push in the male F and feel firm resistance when it hits the pressure socket, do you think that would be a good indicator that your coupler, adapter etc. is making good contact?

Absolutely, RCAs are the bottom-feeders of connectors. It amazes me that the consumer manufacturers keep using them over and over and over for every imaginable application. As using them for both audio and video wasn’t enough (not to mention for speaker wires in some applications), they recycled them yet gain for digital signals.

I really couldn’t believe it when they used them yet again for component video! There are any number of off-the-shelf multi-pinned connector schemes they could have gone with and used an efficient, single cable. Or even designed an all-new multi. Anything would have been better than this stupid three-cable thing they have now.

I’ll get off the soapbox now. :D

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Kenneth Harden

Screenwriter
Update:

I can get 3, 25' RG6 cables and 6 of those F -> RCA connectors for $22 (I got da hookups). Is it worth a shot?

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Well, the price is right and I’m sure you boss will let you return the stuff if you’re not happy with the results. What are you waiting for? :D

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Before you start slapping adapters on those preterminated video cables, do yourself a favor and find out if the center conducter(s) are all copper or copper over steel. You want the former.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks