What's new

HT wiring (1 Viewer)

john_anderson

Auditioning
I am currently re-modeling one of the rooms in my basement and have some home theater wiring questions. I am down to the wall studs and I am getting ready to run wires before sheet rocking. My plan is to have a built-in receiver/processor (and all other components DVD, VHS, CD, etc) in one corner of the room and the TV on a wall about 15 feet away; the cable run itself will be approximately 25-30 feet. My first question is can I run 3 standard RG6 cables (75 ohm coax) from the processor to the TV for component signals? How do other people make longer runs like this? From what I have researched so far the cable lengths are usually less than 10 feet; so can a component signal hold up to these lengths okay? I am also interested in planning for the future so I am wondering what other cables I should run before sealing the walls. I have been reading about DVI cables (length issues?), fiber optic (used for video yet?), and just now on your forum firewire, any other suggestions… I have not purchased any HV equipment yet and at this point I am just trying to be prepared. Also I would like to be able to do progressive with this cabling architecture. Any advice and help would be appreciated in addition any web page references would be great!

John

Jim Gloeb

Auditioning
John I just ran 35' Belden 1694 for both component and svideo from bluejeanscables, they were $79 a set. Also have a 35' SVGA from pccables on they way ($26) for HTPC. You may want to run DVI as well. For me the component will suffice for now. I plan to get a HD box later and some use component out, some DVI. If none use comp when I am ready to go HD, then I will get a HD tuner card for the PC. I saw no reason to run composite as I will convert the VCR composite to Svideo and have my receiver switch between cable box and VCR. There are many options, svideo.com cablesamerica, bettercables, etc. I did a lot of reading on the attenuation and shield specs so I think I made a good decision. Check out the tweaking and connections forum, many post on what others did, including how to build your own. Hope this helps, Jim

john_anderson

Auditioning
Thanks for the information - I think I will repost my message in the forum you suggested; didn't notice that one when I was signing up a couple of days ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation636
Recent bookmarks