What's new

in wall cabling (1 Viewer)

JeffMckeon

Auditioning
I'm building a new home and at the point where I'm going to begin my low voltage wiring.

My goal with my AV is to have nice system but not anything over the top. I have an office off of my living room where I'd like to keep all the AV equipment (reciever, dvd, cd player etc) and only have my speakers and TV visible in the living room.

To do this I need to run the AV wireing and speaker wiring in the walls/ceilings. The speaker stuff is no prob. The question I have is what is the best way to run the Component, Composit and S-Video cables through the walls so that in the office and living room I simply have wall jacks that have plugs for each type of cable.

The thought I had was to run RG6 quad sheilded coax and compression termintate it with F connectors on either end, then have a standard Femail-Femail F connector on a wall jack. For the S-Video I see several wall jacks available at partsexpress so that doesn't seem to be too big a deal. The composit cables I'm still not sure about.

Has anyone done this type of setup before and if so, can you suggest a way to proceed?

thanks,

Jeff

Cornelius

Stunt Coordinator
You can do it with all of your cables. The composite takes 1 RG6, the S-video takes 2, and the component video takes 3. Be sure that you buy quality RG6 wire (I would recommend Belden 1694a or Canare L-5CFB). For the composite and component cables, I would suggest using an f to RCA connector in your wallplate.

CJ

JeffMckeon

Auditioning
Thanks for the help. I thought that's what I needed but it just seemed too simple if you know what I mean.

I order a 1000' spool of QuadShielded RG6 from PartsExpress with the help of a co-worker who's been in the cable industry for years and know's his stuff. I'll be sure to check the quality of it when it gets here and if it doesn't look good I'll return it and get another brand. I've heard that Monster RG6 is very good. Any experience with that?

JeffMckeon

Auditioning
Do I need any special wire for the subwoofer? If so what type should I run?

Also, I'm still looking for a remote IR to use. Any suggestions?

thanks,

jeff

Cornelius

Stunt Coordinator
The wiring for the subwoofer depends on its type. If it's an active subwoofer (with a built-in amp), the RG-6 will be fine. If it's a passive subwoofer, you need to run speaker wire from where the amp will be to where the sub will be. Some subwoofers have their own proprietary wiring (like Bose).

I like the Pronto series of touchscreens. If you want more buttons, take a look at the Home Theater Master remotes.

CJ

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks