HT wiring

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by john_anderson, Aug 17, 2003.

1. john_anderson

john_anderson Auditioning

I am currently re-modeling one of the rooms in my basement and have some home theater wiring questions. I am down to the wall studs and I am getting ready to run wires before sheet rocking. My plan is to have a built-in receiver/processor (and all other components DVD, VHS, CD, etc) in one corner of the room and the TV on a wall about 15 feet away; the cable run itself will be approximately 25-30 feet. My first question is can I run 3 standard RG6 cables (75 ohm coax) from the processor to the TV for component signals? How do other people make longer runs like this? From what I have researched so far the cable lengths are usually less than 10 feet; so can a component signal hold up to these lengths okay? I am also interested in planning for the future so I am wondering what other cables I should run before sealing the walls. I have been reading about DVI cables (length issues?), fiber optic (used for video yet?), and just now on your forum firewire, any other suggestions… I have not purchased any HT equipment yet and at this point I am just trying to be prepared. Also I would like to be able to do progressive with this cabling architecture. Any advice and help would be appreciated in addition any web page references would be great!

John

2. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

3. Todd B

Todd B Stunt Coordinator

Bob,

What is the problem with running shielded video cables alongside speaker cables? [​IMG]

Todd

4. john_anderson

john_anderson Auditioning

Bob,

Thanks for the information.

You mention "Custom Cable Sites" - could you give some examples.

Thanks,

John

5. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

the coax and speaker cables can be run next to each other. tape them together if you want.

Regarding DVI length, I've read the limit is about 15 feet. Consider the following link which is chock full of information: http://www.extron.com/technology/arc...tifingcables2&

6. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

7. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne

8. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

9. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne

10. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

In truth, 60hz hum coming in through the CATV coax is a much-more common problem. But it's caused by the same effect - power wires with long runs in parallel with coax.

I dont think you hear much about it because most systems dont have the equipment at the back and the TV at the front where there is a temptation to run speaker & video cables 10-20 feet in parallel. And nearly every "..I'm going to run wires in-wall" type of post gets warned to not run near AC power wires.

There are a FEW cases per year where people experience interference that is solved by separating cables. There was even a recent post about a bundle of line-level cables causing problems until they were separated. Of course I cannot find a good example with a quick search. [​IMG]

But speaker wires ARE power wires. And while not fixed-frequency like AC power, they do create magnetic fields. It's really not a good idea to run line-level cables in close proximity to speaker wires because of the induced-signal problem.

11. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Here is the thread on a SVideo Cable from a Tivo unit in a bundle causing problems.

(I still dont understand it, but I found other posts about the Tivo outputs causing problems.)

12. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

What would then be everyone's comment on the Residential line of cables that Belden markets? Examples are the 7876A, 7877A, 7878A, 7910A, 7913A, 7914A.

Looks to me like they're running things pretty close in that bundle.