What's new

Resigning from job....what to say (1 Viewer)

Matt Stryker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt
Tommorrow I'm giving my current boss notice that I'm leaving at the end of the month, and was wondering if anyone had any pointers on what to say/not to say in the one-on-one meeting with him. I'm not going to burn any bridges, but I would like some idea of how to kindly express that I'm happy with my new job if he gets confrontational or starts counteroffering.

I've already prepared the formal notice from iresign.com so the legal stuff is taken care of.

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
I'd just say I'm leaving in 2 weeks. All the main reasons and griping or praise are supposed to be for the exit interviews. Just give them notice so they can start rescheduling projects. He'll probably ask why just tell the truth (better pay? better location? whatever it may be).

Steve_Ch

Supporting Actor
Agree with Mike, just take Richard Nixon's resignation letter as a template;) , all you need is the "This is a notification of my resignation from POSITION effective DATE".

Bill Catherall

Screenwriter
Last time I resigned I brought my written resignation into my boss and said, "If you had been a bad boss then this would probably be easier." Then I handed him my notice and sat down giving him a chance to read it. Of course he/she will ask you why and you'll have to be ready to answer that in an appropriate way.

Chris Lock

Second Unit
I'm just impressed somebody found a job. Not many people worrying about how to word a resignation letter these days.

I'd also keep it simple & not mention any reasons in writing.

If you have company email at the current job, on your last job you might want to send a polite "It's been good working with you all" type message.

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
Oh man. I will also have to do this soon. I've got to find another job because this one has burned up the last of my Job Satisfaction Points.

Anthony_D

Stunt Coordinator
just dont burn any bridges and you will be fine...thank the employer for the opportunity to work there and how both the company and you benefitted from teh experience...giving notice really helps though so you should have no problemos

Shayne Lebrun

Screenwriter
Just tell him that Osama Bin Laden is plotting to destroy the US of A with nukes, and the President has decided that only Matt Stryker! Mercenary Commando! can infiltrate his base, destroy the nukes, kill Bin Laden, and get the girl within the 12 hour time frame.
Sorry, I just like the name Matt Stryker. :)

Steve_Ch

Supporting Actor
It's nice to know in these days and times, at least a couple of people here are concerned with quitting rather than finding jobs;) .

PatrickM

Screenwriter
Matt,

I've done this quite a few times and your right in not burning any bridges. The best thing to do is make them believe that the opportunity your going to was just way to big to pass up. Its what you wanted at this time in your life and it has nothing to do with your present environment. If you want to keep it civil this usually works great.

Patrick

Chad Isaacs

Supporting Actor
Do you by chance "know too much" if so,go in and beat the hell out of your self and make them keep you on the payroll...I watch Fight Club too much

Chris Beveridge

Second Unit
Ah, fond memories of leaving my last job.
I had been there for 10 years. For the first 9, it was great. I got taken advantage of many times, but I still enjoyed the work. Year 10, they closed our office and merged us into the Boston one.
I *hated* the new layer of management that got put over me. Simply, the guy could not manage properly and I never liked him from the minute I met him. One of those types I'm sure many have had.
I had a last straw moment with them around Christmastime (this was like 4 years ago). After working in the smaller office for the 9 years prior, it was a given to work Christmas Eve and New Years Day. With the larger office, it was rotated and such. He came up to me and said I was working both of them. I politely declined and informed him I would not be, as I had just put in 9 years worth of doing these holidays and I had just been married that past summer and wanted to spend the holidays with my wife, now that I have a reason to have them off.
I got the "this will go on your record" crap and he stormed off. My previous boss was now his boss, and came in a little later and apologized for it. This was the good boss who took care of people properly, though he liked to give you crap (and could take it back, which is a plus). But at that point I knew I couldn't stay there anymore. I had just had it. It was like I was the new kid even after all that time. Bloody annoying.
Went to a headhunter in February, got the job in March, left end of March. Went in the day after I got the nod for the new job and went to see my bosses boss. I wasnt' going to give the ass the satisfaction. Sat down at the good bosses desk and just smiled. Honest reaction:
"The fact that you're smiling for the first time in the year you've been here means you got a new job. Ah dammit!"
I didn't really have to say much. He knew I was unhappy, he hated to lose me but knew that it didn't do any good to counteroffer. The Boston office was too much politics reward based and little work-reward based.
Been at the new place 4 years this March. Haven't been happier. :)

Ryan Wright

Screenwriter
The best thing to do is make them believe that the opportunity your going to was just way to big to pass up. Its what you wanted at this time in your life and it has nothing to do with your present environment. If you want to keep it civil this usually works great.
Patrick hit the nail on the head. I gave notice at my current position three weeks ago, and this Friday will be my last day. In my case, the opportunity IS way too big to pass up, but I would have told them that regardless. It's short and sweet and gets the job done.

Matt Stryker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt
Thanks guys, it went great. I've got an exit interview where I can express improvements/ideas, so thats good.

Can't wait for the weeklong break in between when I can get my theater seats and screen installed!

Kirk Gunn

Screenwriter
Some great suggestions. Throw in a "I really appreciate the opportunities you've given me and I hope I can throw some business your way in the future", and you're outta there with a smile on everyone's face...

Or: Working here has been like watching a group of monkeys trying to f-ck a football.

Roby Adams

Stunt Coordinator
Here is some good professional advice about resigning.

Don't give more or LESS than two weeks notice.

Be FULLY prepared to leave immediately. Get your persoanl effects in order. Don't pack mind you but make sure you have all your stuff together. Get bob to return that coffee cup, delete personal e-mail, get the contact info for fellow employees, etc.

Take a written notice in with you. This is to let them know that the decision is final.

Make sure that He/She understands that the decision has been made and that your leaving is not a negotiating tactic.

IMPORTANT: Give as few details about your new position as possible. You can say things like "It's a similar position with a large engineering firm." Do not say things like - "It's more money, with Microsoft."

Do NOT tell them any reason you were unhappy. It doesn't matter if they want to know or not. This is not the time. It will not change anything and the only cause it will serve is to make them angry and you feel better. Say things like "I needed a change." or "I think this will be a good opportunity for me."

I don't care how well you know your boss or the company. Do not break these rules. As long as your are nice about it then there should be no problem. If there is a problem then it will not be your fault.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks