What's new

Replacing TV with Best Buy No Lemon rule (1 Viewer)

Jim Corbin

Auditioning
So, my current HDTV just had it's 8th repair with the best buy service plan and it qualifies for the no lemon policy. I'm going to get credit for $2300 at Best Buy to replace it. The TV I'm replacing is the KP57WS500. A rear projection 57" Sony.
The Model I'm looking at replacing it with is the Sony KDF50WE655. It's a 50" LCD TV.

It's a 7" difference, but I'm nervous about getting the newer model 57" Rear Projection TV (The KDP57WS655) because on display in the store the color looked very yellow compared to the other TV's, and that's what happened with our current 57" Everything started looking yellow.
My fiancee wants a Sony, no acceptions. The 50" looks pretty good to me. What do you think? Any other suggestions? Also, is the 7" difference gonna be really hard to get used to? Should we wait for the 55" to go down in price?

Thanks for your help in advance!

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Hi Jim.

Listen - this will sound strange, but it's true: dont judge a television by how the picture looks, and this goes double for big-box stores like Best Buy.

TV manufacturers turn the brightness and contrast way up on every unit so that if it gets picked as a floor-model, it will stand-out because of it's brightness. People DO notice the brigher box and mistakenly consider this 'better'.

The display floor in a store is usually brightly lit with bad lighting which can cause the colors to look funny.

Get the 57". Bring it home and turn down the brightness and contrast to 50%. Then get a copy of Avia or Video Essentials and go through the tutorials about setting the brightness/contrast/intensity/... settings. You may be amazed at the difference.

Hope this helps.

Jim Corbin

Auditioning
Hi Bob!
I definitely see how the bad lighting causing the colors to look funny. The other problem with the 57" though is the only one they have left is the floor model, and no other Best Buys around have even a floor model in. According to the salesperson it's the last they're going to have of that particular model. This wouldn't be a huge problem for me but after talking it over with my fiancee a few minutes ago, there's no talking her into getting the floor model. Another problem I had with the 57" though was that it looked like the highest resolution is 960i while on the 50" it's 1080i. Is this something I should be paying attention to? I'm planning on hooking the TV up to a Windows Media Center PC that I've been using as my HD PVR.

Also, are there a lot of advantages to Rear-Projection LCD as opposed to regular rear projection?

Steve Berger

Supporting Actor
7" smaller is quite a bit unless the room is small to begin with.

Sony's CRT based units usually pass 1080i through untouched and scale other resolutions to 960i. It has to do with scanning frequencies of the tube. It's a lot easier to scale 480i (NTSC, DVD & broadcast) and 480p (progressive DVD)to 960i than to 1080i since CRT scanning frequencies are fairly flexible.

LCD's , on the other hand, pretty much need to run at their native frequency and everything has to be scaled to it.

Microdisplay sets are lighter and convergence won't drift with time, but:
you'll need a stand
lamps are expensive (lamp + ballast = $500?)
out of warranty repairs are high (light engine - $2000 vs CRT - $500) (just approximations)

BTW, the newer sets use different picture tubes than the older set that you had so much trouble with.

Kenneth Harden

Screenwriter
Lamps for Sony and newish Mit's are down to $200 and below (core charge on the Mits can make it as little as $150!)

videobruce

Stunt Coordinator
Did you condiser something other than a Sony?

You know there are other manufactures. They just don't have the 'status symbol' status.........

Tim Jin

Supporting Actor
Why do you want another Sony, when you had so much problems with the last one.

"My First Sony"??

There are other brands out there that are better than a Sony.

Because of your pain, Best Buy is going to give you credit toward another TV. While CRT RPTV's produce the best picture, as this point, I would consider in getting something else, like a DLP's or an LCD's because CRT RPTV's are becoming history.

Do not get a floor model for any reason. It's not worth it.

With your budget, you can get a Toshiba 52" DLP or a Samsung DLP.

I just wouldn't get another Sony because of your track record.

Personally, I'm not a Sony fan.

John S

Senior HTF Member
Maybe you can put in a little more money and get the 60" LCD RP Sony? That is like my favorite display these days in that size range.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
i would say wider viewing angle, no burn-in issuess, and (arguably) a brigher/sharper picture.

i know you said your wife wants a sony, so fine ... go with sony. but definitely 'step-up'to a more current technology. i think you'll be happier that you did so.

i like john's idea ... put in a little extra cash and go with the 55" or 60" lcd (which is what i own). nice tv.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz

Has she given you a logical reason to stick with Sony even though you are having problems with a Sony set?
There are other brands that are just as good as Sony if not better. I would look at DLP sets like Mitsubishi
and Samsung. I am not sure what your budget is but I would not stick with Sony if you are having issues with
there product! IMHO Sony uses cheap parts in too many of there products. This may or may not be at the core
of your problem. I broke down and purchased a high dollar Sony DVP-9000 ES because I got a great deal on a open
box unit. It originally retialed for around$1600 but I got it for around $780 with a 10 yr extended warrenty.
After I had it for 1 year it started having issues with layer changes. I took it in and the complete optic was
replaced. Just about 1 yr later the same problem started to reacure and the drawer failed to eject. Again it
was taken back and the drawer was fix as was a part of the optics. I have had problems with other Sony products
so I have reservations about purchasing another Sony product. There are other brands that make great products,
there is no reason to stick with something just because of the name.

Is your fiancee really anal about all the components having the same name badge? I am just trying to understand.
If you are seeing the same problem in display models in the Sony line up. I would explain to your fiancee that
you feel you would be wasting your money if you purchased another Sony. And if you are the only one spending
money on this investment? Then I would choose another set if thats what you want and it should be the end of
discussion.

Its allmost like getting a certain breed of dog and it bits you but you get rid of it. And go out and get another
one, but it turns around and bits you as well. But your fiancee says we have to have that breed or nothing.
Both are a waste as far as you are concerned because you are may be buying into the same problem. Buying everything
with the same Sony tag does not make it a better system than anyone else has. I think you realize this and that is
why you are here asking for input. I would look at DLP's and get away from the Sony for now. I agree that CRT's
are on there way out and may not be around much longer. Here is a link that might help you ?

http://www.dlp.com/home_entertainmen...ult.asp?bhcp=1

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
i guess dave doesn't like sony? ;)

personally, i think their video stuff (and some audio stuff) is great. i've had various sony products (tv's, a full es-audio stack, camcorder, discman's, etc) -- all of which performed flawlessly.

well, i did have to take my sony es receiver in for repair, but it was my fault ....

point is you can never tell with consumer electronics. i'll be the first to admit that my very next sony purchase could be a lemon. but, because of my track record with the company, i'm more then happy to take that risk.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Hey Ted,

I am just very carful when considering a Sony product. I am irritated with having my Sony DVP-9000 ES DVD Player in the shop twice in two years. But I have to admit that the Sony LCD are getting alot better. And you are right about Sony camcorders they make a great video camera. The Sony ES DVD Player still does have a very good picture and very good natural color. I personally do not care for there recievers, but that is just personal preference.

And you are right about consumer electronics as a company will make awsume gear for years then make junk after that. I am looking at a HD 50" tv but I am not sold on LCD so for that reason alone I decided to skip over the Sony. The new technology in the Sony LCD's create some very nice sharp color. If Sony made DLP sets I would consider one but I would still do alot of homework before coming home with a Sony. Currently looking at a Samsung 50" DLP HDTV and a Mitsubishi 52" 1080p HDTV but the Mitsu cost about 1k more. I am leaning towards the Mitsubishi 1080p set as it seems to look the best to me. Am still looking and researching before I buy my next tv.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks