What's new

Red Dawn (1 Viewer)

Michael Silla

Second Unit
I haven't been able to find this movie yet on DVD. Does anybody know if it has been released yet?. If not, has anybody heard about a "definite" release date?.

I have had a hankerin' to see this movie again, especially now that I have my new RPTV.

Michael.

Lyle_JP

Screenwriter
Red Dawn has been available in a movie only edition from MGM/UA for some time now. I actually saw it being sold for only $8.99 at Walmart recently.

-Lyle J.P.

Jeremiah

Screenwriter
Yes it's out and I see it at Best Buy all the time for $9.99. I want this movie too I just haven't got around to actually buying it though.

WOLVERINES!

Sean Dayton

Stunt Coordinator
I got mine for 7.99 at DDD last spring. I still have not gotten around to watch it yet to check out the film transfer. I am asuming that it has to be better than my RCA CED copy.

John P Grosskopf

Second Unit
nice transfer, but its only in stereo
It's the original sound! Ain't that good enough? :D
It's kinda like saying, "It's only letterboxed in its original OAR!";)
I'm one of those who likes it when a movie is put on DVD with its original mix presented as cleanly as possible.
If a new 5.1 mix is made, it should be done only if the director approves it, and ideally, involved.
If the director is not alive, than the producer/sound mixer. etc.
Just like OAR, original sound mixes should be preserved as well. That's why it bothers me that some movies get a 5.1 mix and the stereo (or even mono) mix dies an inglorious death.
We respect OAR...why not OSM (Original Sound Mix)?

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Though John Milius and I don't come from the same planet, I love this silly little movie. It's a hoot. The first time one of the high school students tackles a paratrooper, I cheer. The thing hits at one's basest instincts.
But Milius did give us a genuinely excellent film in the form of The Wind and the Lion--and why is that not on DVD? Huh?
Yep, I have Red Dawn in all its anti-commie, kick-ass glory too. Decent transfer. But I paid a much higher price than you's guys. Damn it.
:)

Justin Doring

Screenwriter
I wouldn't call Red Dawn a "silly little movie." It's actually quite thought provoking, and not as "anti-commie" as one would initially think.

I do agree, however, that The Wind and the Lion is superior.

The DVD of Red Dawn is decent and a steal for $8.99, but I wish it was anamorphic.

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy
Ahhh RED DAWN....... one of my earliest DVD purchases if I recall. (In that it was one of my first 30, im creeping up on 400:b :D)
Although not as polished as one would hope, I certainly would not think of this movie as "silly" Perhaps if you do not share it's ideaologies...
The DVD is OAR, stereo, and has a horrible cover. Fortunatly, the original art is on the cover of the insert booklet. Those with scanners have benefitted from this, it is something MGM did with many of their older releases.
Strangely, this is one of those titles that my friends want to watch when they come over. "I haven't seen this in forever! Lets watch this!" Sort of like Goonies in that way.
WOLVERINES!

Bjorn Olav Nyberg

Supporting Actor
This was actually the last disc I bought, but personally I was disappointed with the transfer. It had a grainy look which was okay, but it also seemed to have some strange compression bi-effect, it had some kind of shimmer, and occasionally a kind of pasty overall look.
But not worse than I was able to forget it once the movie started.
The disc was old enough, it was actually released when MGM still had subtitles on their discs :D
If you care about it, you might also want to know that player generated subtitles is used for some of the movies titles, such as the months being displayed throughout the movie.
I also would agree the movie is not anti-communist, but rather anti-war, and the story itself could just as well be reversed.

Julie K

Screenwriter
I quite enjoy Red Dawn too (and damn, I paid a whopping $9.99 for it at Best Buy) and I agree that it's neither silly nor a thoughtless communist bash-fest.
This movie still stands out in my mind from the time I first saw it in the theater. I remember the fuss made over the violence in it at the time, but the worst was sitting behind a couple of bubbleheaded girls not too much younger than I was. All they did was complain about the dirty hair and clothes the characters were wearing. :rolleyes:Oh well, sorry for the pointless ramble.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Other than being the first ever PG-13 film released, for a while Red Dawn was listed in the Guiness Book Of World Records as the most violent film ever released, in terms of people killed on screen per minute over 2 hours!:eek:

Han

Second Unit
Campy and outdated, maybe, but not silly in my mind. From the context of living in a free country relatively isolated from a real full scale sneak attack by "the commies", it's far fetched at this point. But it's kind of scary when you've lived through something like it in another part of the world.

I haven't watched my copy in a loooong time. I'd say it was one of my first 10 way back in early 1998. I wonder how it sounds in pro-logic II?

Michael Silla

Second Unit
Thanks to all of you who replied. I have good memories of this movie. I had no idea that it was the first "PG13" movie released - kinda neat history. I'll be over at Walmart this evening to pick this puppy up.

Thanks guys and gals!.

Michael.

Scott Dill

Stunt Coordinator
Kid - "Well who IS on our side?"
Col. - "Six hundred million screamin' Chinamen."
Kid - "I thought there was a billion screamin' Chinamen."
Col. - "There was."
:D
This is a truly great B-Movie.
Sure it has political sub-test...What doesn't? RED DAWN only stands out in this regard in contrast to the vast sea of Hollywood pix that provide sub-text (or even main text) for the opposite political view. Its strange that Milius and Heston haven't collaborated ....

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis

Milius and Heston HAVE collaborated...they run the NRA.
The nobility of Red Dawn is that some of the commies are shown sympatheticaly, such as the Cuban guy. Only the Russian guy that looks like Lenin is shown as a heartless bastard.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
royalserena
Recent bookmarks